Author Topic: Disassembling a Hu Card  (Read 734 times)

xelement5x

Disassembling a Hu Card
« on: October 30, 2012, 10:49:23 AM »
So I've got a copy of Wonder Momo that doesn't seem to work no matter how many times I clean it and I was going to try and take it apart, but from what I've heard the actual ROM is under the black mat with the contacts at the front of the hu card. 

Has anyone ever removed this portion before?  Any ideas on how to remove it without making the card look messed up?
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

MotherGunner

Re: Disassembling a Hu Card
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 12:49:45 PM »
You are better off buying a super cheap copy on Ebay. =)
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

sirhcman

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 12:55:02 PM »
So I've got a copy of Wonder Momo that doesn't seem to work no matter how many times I clean it and I was going to try and take it apart, but from what I've heard the actual ROM is under the black mat with the contacts at the front of the hu card. 

Has anyone ever removed this portion before?  Any ideas on how to remove it without making the card look messed up?

This may be a stupid question and you probably have already tried it but have you inserted the game and tried pulling it back out just ever so slightly to see if will boot? I have a few games that are a little begrudging to boot and this seems to fix the issue

xelement5x

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 09:03:20 AM »
I have tried doing the partial insert as well but it doesn't seem to work either. 

I'm not actually trying to fix it, I just want to try and disassemble it in a way that doesn't damage the card and the pad so that both of them are just junk.  I don't know if the pad is held in place with glue or what. 

I considered trying to heat up that area and see if it comes loose but I was just wondering if anyone else had taken a hucard apart like this before, and if so was wondering what they did.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Game-Tech.US

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 04:02:10 PM »
Yeah I took a keith courage apart, can't remember if it wasn't working or not, but i'm sure i was super curious, its glued down and its just a glop top on the bottom side of the black 'mat' that is prolly just a flex circuit with a coating...

thesteve

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 06:14:54 PM »
its glued in (double sided tape really)
the black area is a thin board painted black.
the rom is a glop top (non repairable/replaceable)

FiftyQuid

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 03:20:22 AM »
I'm still interested in seeing it taken apart.  Please post photos if you decide to go ahead with this.  I may even take apart one of my copies of KC just to see the inner workings.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 04:16:03 AM »
I may even take apart one of my copies of KC just to see the inner workings.

Noooo!  Unless it's dead already, no huey deserves dismemberment.  :(
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

xelement5x

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 08:48:21 AM »
Thanks for the info steve, the actual white plastic part doesn't come apart does it?  If it's just glue/tape that hold it down then I think a little low heat should loosen everything up to get it apart.

@Fifty, I'll make sure to take some pictures :)

@Necro, this Momo has thrown her last hoop to be sure so I don't feel bad sacrificing it.

Bonknuts

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 09:06:54 AM »
I may even take apart one of my copies of KC just to see the inner workings.
Yeah-yeah-yeah do it! I've taken apart a handful of hucards over the years. SF2, Arcade Card Pro, some US ones.

xelement5x

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 10:06:03 AM »
So how did you take them apart Bonknuts?

KnightWarrior

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 11:46:19 AM »
How??

It's not like taking a Genesis or a SNES Game apart

soop

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 02:31:52 AM »
As far as I can see, it might be worth freezing it before inserting a sharp knife and getting the board off.  The glue appears (from all the photos I've seen) to be that gummy brown stuff, freezing it would make it brittle enough for a clean break.

My $0.2.

thesteve

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 04:36:23 AM »
its not the gummy brown stuff, its tape
just use a knife and work around the edges

tggodfrey

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 05:16:43 PM »
pry in one spot even and it will pop up.  Its just tape!
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy