Author Topic: What are the main differences between the 2 Interface unit Models?  (Read 1031 times)

HuBaroth

Hi there,
Not sure if that question has been answered before, but does anyone know what differences there are between the 2 sets of Interface Units ( you know the 'suitcase' thing). From what I read, the IFU 30 was the one you bought separately, you had to get the Cdrom2 (CDR-30) by itself.
Apparently, the IFU-30A and CDR-30A came as a combo in one box.

Thing is, I have noticed some hardware differences too. The IFU-30 and CDR-30 are missing some little features that the IFU-30A and CDR-30A have.
The features (for the IFU-30a/CDR-30A) are in the case of the interface unit: 2 little metal 'points' that are located on the CDRom side, and the CDR-30A has a metal plate underneath (that touches/sits) just on the metal bits in the interface units.
Does anyone knows what they do or are for? At the moment I'm using a CD30A with the IFU-30 interface unit (so it does not have the 2 bits that touches the cdr rom metal part), I have another interface unit (a IFU-30A) but it's in storage at my parent's house so cannot test to see if it makes any differences....

I would appreciate any info regarding those hardware differences.  :)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: What are the main differences between the 2 Interface unit Models?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 08:08:48 AM »
A stands for awesome.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Tatsujin

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 09:03:04 AM »
This was a grounding improvement which was added to the 30A.
It doesn't do much, nothing you will ever notice.
Was probably a simple EMC precaution.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

HuBaroth

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 05:28:44 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Tatsujin, I thought that it might have been the case, but thought that It could affect some functions of the CD-Rom-Rom.
Cheers  :D

SuperPlay

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 04:02:41 AM »
Interestingly the core grafx has similar points, that are missing from the original PCE

Apologies for pic quality this was taken with my phone

NinSEGA

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 07:17:57 PM »
I have a plain IFU-30 unit with those metal points/pins that you are talking about. I think the only major difference is that one was a bundle with the CD-ROMĀ² (IFU-30A) and the other wasn't. There are of course some cosmetic differences like the cover/lid actually saying "IFU-30" on the bottom-right of the top facing instead of "CD-ROMĀ² System".

Long story short, there are always revisions, but it's great that we're figuring this out as time goes on.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 07:20:41 PM by NinSEGA »

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 08:01:41 PM »
I had a cib combo set bitd and the PC Engine didn't have RF out. The console shell had stylized angular bump where the RF jack normally is.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

NinSEGA

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 08:15:15 PM »
I had a cib combo set bitd and the PC Engine didn't have RF out. The console shell had stylized angular bump where the RF jack normally is.
Seems like that was a cost-cutting revision because RF was being phased-out in favor of composite A/V yellow-white-red.

xelement5x

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 10:35:22 PM »

Weird, so the PCE by itself literally had no output available on it?  You had to have an IFU or the like to even get video out?
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story