Author Topic: "Zero Wing" or, "The Death of a Gamer"  (Read 577 times)

Bardoly

"Zero Wing" or, "The Death of a Gamer"
« on: November 29, 2012, 05:27:46 PM »
...the first two levels started like your standard shoot-'em-up, but that was just to suck the unwary into a horrific trap...  After that, it was a constant stream of deaths.  Levels 3-7 were each quite difficult, but after much blood, toil, sweat, and tears, each level was conquered and put in its place.  Cheap deaths, strange boss patterns, odd mazes, etc...  Level 8 was so bad that after 45 minutes to an hour of non-stop dying, I despaired of beating the level, so I went to the wise Oracle of knowledge - Google, and the first information that I found said that Zero Wing was only 8 levels long.  After reading that, I said, "I can do this!", and I encouraged myself enough to persevere long enough to finally beat the level 8 boss (whom I thought was the last boss).  Woe to me when level 9 started, for it was almost as if I had started an entirely new 'bullet hell' shoot-'em-up on maximum difficulty right at the very beginning of the level before I could catch my breath!  I pressed on for almost another hour, but I could never even get to the level 9 mid-boss.  Exhausted finally, I returned to the oracle, searching for *gasp!* cheat codes or anything which could give me the faintest glimmer of hope for the possibility of an end to this torture, but my hopes were completely dashed to the ground with no cheats to be found and more reviews discovered which stated that the PC Engine version has 10 levels.  My heart gave out upon reading this, and I have collapsed on my bed.  I type this warning with my last remaining strength, "Be warned!  Zero Wing is accursed!"...

Opethian

Re: "Zero Wing" or, "The Death of a Gamer"
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 12:28:21 AM »
the arrange tunes are pretty rad I dig it!

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 12:47:43 AM »
well if it kicks your butt too much ill take it off you hands :)
give rayxanber ii a try next if you want a real challenge
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 03:52:01 AM by PunkicCyborg »
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

soop

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 12:49:25 AM »
Haha!  I felt the same with Cyber Core TBH.  I gave up after reaching level 10 and dying almost immediately 20 or so times.

Cyber core was very fun though :)

Obfuscate

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 03:48:50 AM »
Take a break, recoup, come back, own the bad guys next time.

I try not to recontiinue too many times, it can take some fun out of it. Keep chipping away, you'll beat it.

esteban

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 06:25:31 AM »
...the first two levels started like your standard shoot-'em-up, but that was just to suck the unwary into a horrific trap...  After that, it was a constant stream of deaths.  Levels 3-7 were each quite difficult, but after much blood, toil, sweat, and tears, each level was conquered and put in its place.  Cheap deaths, strange boss patterns, odd mazes, etc...  Level 8 was so bad that after 45 minutes to an hour of non-stop dying, I despaired of beating the level, so I went to the wise Oracle of knowledge - Google, and the first information that I found said that Zero Wing was only 8 levels long.  After reading that, I said, "I can do this!", and I encouraged myself enough to persevere long enough to finally beat the level 8 boss (whom I thought was the last boss).  Woe to me when level 9 started, for it was almost as if I had started an entirely new 'bullet hell' shoot-'em-up on maximum difficulty right at the very beginning of the level before I could catch my breath!  I pressed on for almost another hour, but I could never even get to the level 9 mid-boss.  Exhausted finally, I returned to the oracle, searching for *gasp!* cheat codes or anything which could give me the faintest glimmer of hope for the possibility of an end to this torture, but my hopes were completely dashed to the ground with no cheats to be found and more reviews discover which stated that the PC Engine version has 10 levels.  My heart gave out upon reading this, and I have collapsed on my bed.  I type this warning with my last remaining strength, "Be warned!  Zero Wing is accursed!"...

It was wonderful to read this...as a fellow shoot-em-up fan, I love when a game kicks my butt/frustrates me yet still offers a glimmer of hope.

I haven't played this game in many, many years. I don't recall getting too far into it, though.

|    | 

TR0N

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 05:15:09 PM »
...the first two levels started like your standard shoot-'em-up, but that was just to suck the unwary into a horrific trap...  After that, it was a constant stream of deaths.  Levels 3-7 were each quite difficult, but after much blood, toil, sweat, and tears, each level was conquered and put in its place.  Cheap deaths, strange boss patterns, odd mazes, etc...  Level 8 was so bad that after 45 minutes to an hour of non-stop dying, I despaired of beating the level, so I went to the wise Oracle of knowledge - Google, and the first information that I found said that Zero Wing was only 8 levels long.  After reading that, I said, "I can do this!", and I encouraged myself enough to persevere long enough to finally beat the level 8 boss (whom I thought was the last boss).  Woe to me when level 9 started, for it was almost as if I had started an entirely new 'bullet hell' shoot-'em-up on maximum difficulty right at the very beginning of the level before I could catch my breath!  I pressed on for almost another hour, but I could never even get to the level 9 mid-boss.  Exhausted finally, I returned to the oracle, searching for *gasp!* cheat codes or anything which could give me the faintest glimmer of hope for the possibility of an end to this torture, but my hopes were completely dashed to the ground with no cheats to be found and more reviews discover which stated that the PC Engine version has 10 levels.  My heart gave out upon reading this, and I have collapsed on my bed.  I type this warning with my last remaining strength, "Be warned!  Zero Wing is accursed!"...
All you're base belong to us !!

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 06:01:43 AM »
As with most Toaplan shooters, expect to have your ass handed to you eventually. Great games, but they can really lay waste to the inexperienced due to their difficulty.

lukester

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 08:37:58 AM »
As with most Toaplan shooters, expect to have your ass handed to you eventually. Great games, but they can really lay waste to the inexperienced due to their difficulty.

I only could get to stage 6 of Kyuukyoku Tiger. Maybe I'll get it again someday...

roflmao

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 01:05:31 PM »
I only could get to stage 6 of Kyuukyoku Tiger. Maybe I'll get it again someday...

That's about as far as I can make it in that game, too.  And if I make it that far, I feel lucky!  It's so much fun though. :)

Bernie

• Facebook URL
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 01:29:02 PM »
This is next on my to buy list.

Bardoly

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 04:29:07 PM »
This is next on my to buy list.

Wow Bernie, already wrapping up the PC Engine collection with the "Z's"?  :)  :)

No really, it's a decent shoot-'em-up; it just gets difficult after the first 2 levels, and then it gets REALLY difficult at level 8 and beyond.  The Duomazov Brothers should have added it to their list of excruciatingly difficult TG-16/PCE games.  (Along with the Penalty Zone level from Image Fight.). Go ahead and get it, just promise to play it.  :P

soop

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 09:56:59 PM »

I love this game, but I'm not very good at it.  I haven't actually beaten the first stage, due to the boss firing so damn quick :(  And then I lose mah gunz

roflmao

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 12:22:44 AM »

I love this game, but I'm not very good at it.  I haven't actually beaten the first stage, due to the boss firing so damn quick :(  And then I lose mah gunz

It took me forever to beat the first level.  Level 2 is almost as challenging, but strangely, I think the levels seem to get a little easier.  Until it gets harder. :)  Maybe it's just because if you can beat the first couple of levels, you are "in the zone".

lukester

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 12:53:01 AM »

Use turbo fire. I can only beat stage 1 by tapping. :D