Author Topic: CD-Rom with INterface Uni testing  (Read 319 times)

Yamazaki

CD-Rom with INterface Uni testing
« on: March 01, 2006, 09:13:58 PM »
I bought a Interface with CD-RomĀ² for a friend. I connected my own PCE with syscard 3.0 to it. Unfortunately i don't have a tv-cabel at the mom so I can't check the output on screen.

I figured out I can insert a CD (either game or music) and check out the music over the headphones.

My problem now: when I insert a CD I try and press the Play Button on the CD-Rom unit. But after showing a 0 on the track-LED nothing happens. The dis is not turning. Same if I try it with a game, and press the RUN-Button on the PCE. Shouln't be the disc turning anyway?

TR0N

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 09:43:41 PM »
You gota have it hook up to the tv if you want the, menu so you can play the cd.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Yamazaki

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 09:51:10 PM »
Shouldn't it be working anyway?

if I put a music cd into the cd-player, and press the play button and press the  
forward/backward buttons, shouldn't be the cd-rom loading?

or do I need to enter a special menu?
ie: I have syscard 3.0 in the PCE, a game in the cd-drivem activate everything (interface power and pce power), shouldn't it be the same menu as the DUO? So that I only need to pres RUN to start the game??

TR0N

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 11:06:14 PM »
Quote from: "Yamazaki"

ie: I have syscard 3.0 in the PCE, a game in the cd-drivem activate everything (interface power and pce power), shouldn't it be the same menu as the DUO? So that I only need to pres RUN to start the game??

Pretty much.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Yamazaki

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 11:10:35 PM »
But the disc is not turning insice the cd-player, that's the problem :cry:

rolins

Re: CD-Rom with INterface Uni testing
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 11:18:34 PM »
I bought a Interface with CD-RomĀ² for a friend. I connected my own PCE with syscard 3.0 to it. Unfortunately i don't have a tv-cabel at the mom so I can't check the output on screen.

I figured out I can insert a CD (either game or music) and check out the music over the headphones.

My problem now: when I insert a CD I try and press the Play Button on the CD-Rom unit. But after showing a 0 on the track-LED nothing happens. The dis is not turning. Same if I try it with a game, and press the RUN-Button on the PCE. Shouln't be the disc turning anyway?

If you can't get a game CD to spin after pressing the RUN button, then maybe...its dead.

Still, you should test the system again when you get a TV cable. Just to be sure.

Yamazaki

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 11:35:41 PM »
I guess its dead then.

Since I can plug an ac-cable into the cd-rom unit separately without connecting it to the interface. Even then, I press the triangle play button on it, and a zero appears and thats it. the disc does not turn or do anything :cry:

could anybody that has a cd-rom system just plug the ac-adapter (9V) into the cd.rom and see if it plays cds or music over the headphones?

it should be turning at least.

PC Gaijin

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 02:09:07 AM »
When you plug an AC adapter into the CD drive without using the interface unit and press the play/triangle button, the unit powers on and displays "0" in the LCD. After a second or two it will spin up the disc, display "1" in the LCD, and start playing the first track. Sounds like your drive is dead. :(

Also, just for anyone out there that might want to use the CD player standalone for whatever reason: make sure you use the correct AC adapter. I've found the CD units are very sensitive to voltage. Keep in mind that the AC adapters recommended for the interface unit and the CD player itself are different. Oh, and the Turbo CD player takes 10.5V instead of 9V like the PC Engine. Another interesting thing, I found that if I used the PC Engine suitcase without a stepdown converter on a 115V outlet, the CD player didn't work. Stepping it down to 100V worked fine. Also, switching the PC Engine CD out with a Turbo CD (but still using the PC Engine suitcase interface) and running it on 115V also worked fine. :?

Drazic

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 02:36:07 AM »
I guess its dead then.
could anybody that has a cd-rom system just plug the ac-adapter (9V) into the cd.rom and see if it plays cds or music over the headphones?

it should be turning at least.

I tried and yes it works.

Odonadon

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 07:08:11 PM »
Quote from: "PC Gaijin"

Also, just for anyone out there that might want to use the CD player standalone for whatever reason: make sure you use the correct AC adapter. I've found the CD units are very sensitive to voltage.

I can vouch for that.  I toasted my first CD-unit by using too high a voltage.  I was a little upset.

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

Bonknuts

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 07:31:10 PM »
I had a SNES without a case (don't ask) - just the board and had a non-nintendo power supply wired directly to the board. The AC adapter was over rated for the unit and would destroy the diodes on the board. I used a generic logic probe to find out which diodes failed and replace them with a single wire :lol:

I did this about 4 times total - she lasted until 1995 when I finally shelved it (still worked though).

Anyway, the moral of this story is that a diode/resister/compacitor might be bad and would be a simple fix.

Keranu

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 08:28:53 PM »
How did you get a SNES without a case? :D
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Bonknuts

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 10:07:53 PM »
Lets just say that a certain store RMA'd a certain "defective" SNES back to Nintendo without the system board and that certain someone got their certain money refunded instead of op'ing for an exchange.  :wink:

Tatsujin

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 05:15:56 PM »
huh!! dirty connectors on the IFU-30 side!? just clean them up both of them and it will work perfectly! i have the same probs ever 2 month, so i just use some conntact-spray on the PCE/CD sides connector and push/pull the two devices in and out for about ten times > solved! :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^