Author Topic: 3D VPU Expansion, was there a protoype?  (Read 467 times)

chadti99

3D VPU Expansion, was there a protoype?
« on: January 17, 2013, 08:24:03 AM »
I could have sworn I remember reading a few years back about a guy that got ahold of a prototype 3D expansion for the PCFX, it may have actually been PC based and was intended for development only.  I remember he had a few 3d demos working.  Does anyone else remember this?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: 3D VPU Expansion, was there a protoype?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 08:55:02 AM »
The PC-FX GA computer add-in cards included the 3D expansion.  Is that what you're thinking of?  I don't recall ever seeing something that worked in a real PC-FX.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 09:04:19 AM »
That's the PC-FX GA setup.   It's basically a PC-FX kit for your computer and most of what you create with it is incompatible with the real thang, because of 3D.

There's some cool 3D demos.   I have the disc here somewhere.    There's some really promising stuff that I wish they would've capitalized on.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

chadti99

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 05:08:54 AM »
Thanks guys, thats what it was!  Would have been cool if NEC had released the same 3D chipset for the GA as an expansion to the PCFX.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 03:39:04 AM »
Thanks guys, thats what it was!  Would have been cool if NEC had released the same 3D chipset for the GA as an expansion to the PCFX.

It was supposed to exist, but the PCFX tanked pretty hard...

I mean you could probably fanagle the GA thing into working with the PCFX, but any 3D games that get made would only work for the 3 people who also own the overpriced bullshit. :)

sabre470

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 08:49:33 AM »
That's the PC-FX GA setup.   It's basically a PC-FX kit for your computer and most of what you create with it is incompatible with the real thang, because of 3D.

Actually that's not entirely accurate some peeps have managed to use Gmaker/+ to create some code to run on a PC-FX emulator, I think it was frog game if memory serves me well. The SDK can create some game for the regular FX.

Secondly, I have both PC-FXGA games ie SameGameFX and Nnyu and they do boot on a stock PC-FX you can ear the music and even start the games but obviously the screen stays blank. Might be possible to gut a PC-FXGA from its 3D Chip and create an adapter but that's beyond my skills... way beyond.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 08:53:06 AM by sabre470 »
Sabre470
PC-FX Fanatic
http://cdromrom.wordpress.com

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 09:15:25 AM »

Actually that's not entirely accurate some peeps have managed to use Gmaker/+ to create some code to run on a PC-FX emulator, I think it was frog game if memory serves me well. The SDK can create some game for the regular FX.
Yes, but if you use anything regarding 3D, you're screwed.

Secondly, I have both PC-FXGA games ie SameGameFX and Nnyu and they do boot on a stock PC-FX you can ear the music and even start the games but obviously the screen stays blank. Might be possible to gut a PC-FXGA from its 3D Chip and create an adapter but that's beyond my skills... way beyond.

Isn't that what incompatible means.

sabre470

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 12:06:12 PM »
You are correct on the SDK, the guy had to do a bit of hacking to get it to boot. The SDK can built CD isos and EX files but you don't have to use the 3d libraries though it doesn't help that the whole documentation for the kit in japanese.

You could say that, on my 2nd point, if it was totally incompatible, nothing would work ;) Everything works except the display so it's little difficult to play in the dark.
Sabre470
PC-FX Fanatic
http://cdromrom.wordpress.com