Author Topic: Anybody here ever see this PC-FX commercial before?  (Read 696 times)

Aggie Tsubi

Anybody here ever see this PC-FX commercial before?
« on: February 02, 2013, 06:40:45 PM »

What a strange commercial, haha. Seems more like the kind of gaming commercials airing in the US back then. For a system that has a reputation for catering so much to Japanese taste/culture and having a strong language barrier, it's funny that the commercial has a bunch of white guys speaking English. With advertising like this in Japan, it's no surprise the system was a flop. :P Outside of the game footage, it doesn't exactly do a good job conveying the style of so many of its games. I'm not sure if Rolfee existed from the very beginning of the PC-FX, but you'd think a cute anime video with her would be a fitting choice.

SamIAm

Re: Anybody here ever see this PC-FX commercial before?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 10:20:11 PM »

Tatsujin

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 11:23:22 PM »
I have seen it before.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

esteban

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 11:45:33 PM »

The video suggests that the "F" in "FX" = Future but in reality, F = Failure.

Serious question, though, what does the "X" in "FX" represent, according to the video?

ALSO: Dungeon Explorer II music during the footage for Cyber Battle...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 12:28:39 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

BlueBMW

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 02:27:40 AM »
Does that shooter shown in the second video exist somewhere?  Image or otherwise?
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

esteban

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 04:13:13 AM »
Does that shooter shown in the second video exist somewhere?  Image or otherwise?

You talking about the Star Soldier-esque game with the CGI title screen and intro?

|    | 

Ji-L87

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 07:29:59 AM »

Happened to discover the NEC consoles through youtube so yes, that commercial is dear to me. In all it's cheesy glory. "The cheese must flow".

Always liked the BGM music in that short montage scene where the guest idol is introduced...anyone know where it's from, or maybe it's just from some random smooth sounding TV audio library...? :P
Actually, the BGM where they just stand around talking afterwards is pretty nice as well. Lol'd when they showed gameplay footage from "Kuma Soldier" and they have that nice sprite look-thing going on and suddenly a grey CG spider robot...thing...appears!  :shock: Shocking how badly those CG graphics aged. Also, would be nice to have a few of those posters in the game showroom.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 08:14:35 AM by Ji-L87 »
CHECKPOINT!
There is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

esteban

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 07:34:32 AM »
^ I was going to comment on the posters, too! 4-5 posters...3x3 Eyes...PC-FX Baseball?...what else?

|    | 

SamIAm

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 08:02:31 AM »
Nobody on any Japanese pages I can find has seen Kuma Soldier beyond that video.

Interestingly, the announcer says it was supposed to feature up to 40 different background planes. Surely it would have been a combination of real planes and slate parallax, but it would have been cool to see what they could come up with.

Serious question, though, what does the "X" in "FX" represent, according to the video?

"Unlimited Possibilities" is what the announcer says. The kanji means an unknown number, as in literally "X=?".

Ji-L87

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 08:25:32 AM »
^ I was going to comment on the posters, too! 4-5 posters...3x3 Eyes...PC-FX Baseball?...what else?

Yah, 3x3 Eyes is the easiest one to distinguish since it's most shown (and zoomed in right on).
So...uh...from left to right:
Popful Mail << 3x3 Eyes < Mad Stalker > Megami Paradise (I think?) >> No idea what the last one is. It's in shot quite a few times but never zoomed in on and it's too blurry to see :( Sometimes it seems to resemble an american football player...?
CHECKPOINT!
There is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

Aggie Tsubi

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 09:43:04 AM »
Yeah, that's definitely Megami Paradise. The mystery poster to the right of it looks like some female character holding a fireball to me.

esteban

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 03:31:31 PM »

"Unlimited Possibilities" is what the announcer says. The kanji means an unknown number, as in literally "X=?".

Aha! F + X = "Unlimited future possibilities!"

Pretty kool.

Yeah, that's definitely Megami Paradise. The mystery poster to the right of it looks like some female character holding a fireball to me.

Ha! If by "fireball" you mean "baseball", then you are correct!

Yah, 3x3 Eyes is the easiest one to distinguish since it's most shown (and zoomed in right on).
So...uh...from left to right:
Popful Mail << 3x3 Eyes < Mad Stalker > Megami Paradise (I think?) >> No idea what the last one is. It's in shot quite a few times but never zoomed in on and it's too blurry to see :( Sometimes it seems to resemble an american football player...?

Aggie, Ji-L87: The mystery poster you can't identify is for Hudson's motherf*cking PC-FX baseball game.

I expected better from both of you.

KUMA SOLDIER: Never will get a chance to play it.

CARRY ON.

SEXY BASEBALL.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:59:57 PM by esteban »
  |    |