Author Topic: "Dracula X PC Port Project" (status: abandoned)  (Read 1928 times)

Pcenginefx

"Dracula X PC Port Project" (status: abandoned)
« on: March 03, 2006, 06:10:40 PM »
I have been hard at work on a secret Turbo/PCE to PC port project over the last week, and am currently about 50% done creating the game engine.  As soon as I can shake out all of the bugs (and they seem to NEVER end...) the rest should come together nicely.  Unfortunately, due to programming constraints and lack of time, one gameplay mechanic had to be changed which at this point shouldn't change the playability much.

Now comes the fun part..... can anyone guess what game I'm working on?  I will give you one hint - it wasn't released for the US NEC consoles.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 06:03:02 AM by Pcenginefx »
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

rolins

"Dracula X PC Port Project" Status
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 06:40:05 PM »
Thats a tough guess. What genre does the game belong to?

esteban

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 08:32:15 PM »
Hmmmm.... I'm assuming it won't be PC-FX...

If you were to do another shooter (thus building off of your experience with Lords of Thunder --> PC project), I'd say CORYOON! (I'm saying this because I like cute-em-ups).

But, then I thought to myself, "Aaron might want to do a different genre, for fun..."

And this is where it's tough... what is worthy? A rare but great game? An expensive but great game? HuCard? CD?
Mizobaku... (sp??? The Bubble Bobble 4 game, you know what I'm talking about)
Valis IV
Shububinman 3

Then I realized what IT HAD TO BE:

Dracula X

I'll stop there.
  |    | 

Pcenginefx

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 05:28:35 AM »
If I give you any more hints, it will pretty much give it away............. but I'm on the verge of posting up sprites from the game so............
//Aaron

rolins

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 05:35:32 AM »
I doubt it will be Dracula X. Aaron might get sued by Konami.

I thought about it more and it might be a game from Hudson. The company that was the backbone of the PCE. So the game might be Bonk, Bomberman, Super Star Soldier, or Soldier Blade.

Its Super Star Soldier, right?

Pcenginefx

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 05:45:14 AM »
Ok here is your hint (this will pretty much give it away).

//Aaron

Keranu

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 12:02:39 PM »
Haha, it's Dracula X alright! I guessed it could've been Dracula X once I started reading Steve's clever post. Well you never though, it might not be Dracula X, but perhaps he just used that sprite from Dracula X instead!

Now porting Dracula X to PC is actually a pretty good idea, because this will allow new gamers to the scene to have easier access to try out a PCE CD game and Dracula X is a nice game to use because of how well made it is. Lords of Thunder port was also a good idea because it's one of those top catchy games for the Duo that new comers would love to try out as well. Lets hope this stuff works :D .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Dark Fact

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 04:55:49 AM »
Nice! I really would love to see Dracula X on my PC (besides the aid of MagicEngine)! Keep the project going, Aaron! :D

And Rolins, I doubt Konami would go after Aaron for a game they stupidly passed up for U.S. release on the Tduo.

Besides, the SNES version doesn't hold ground.

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Pcenginefx

Dracula X PC Port Project v0.4 Now Available
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 08:03:55 AM »
I have decided to post up an early version of the project for all to try out.  Please note that this has only been in development for a few weeks and thus is an EXTREMELY early build with LOTS of bugs and no optimization (so initial loading may take long).  Only the 1st part of Stage 01 is available, and you can only whip the fire poles (no enemies are present in this build).

Feel free to leave me your comments...it has been a bug-infested few weeks and I'm happy the game engine is where it's at right now.  This has been much harder than the LoT project as each time I fix a bug, 3 new ones pop up :(  And speaking of bugs, as you can see I have removed the stairs from the level and replaced them with platforms.  Having Richter recognize and align himself to walk up stairs was beyond my current ability and probably won't be put in due to time concerns.

DraculaX_v04.exe (10MB)
(note, runs at 800x600 in a window)

//Aaron

Keranu

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 08:28:08 AM »
Nice new font.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 12:46:26 PM »
:) !!!
  |    | 

rolins

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 02:06:49 PM »
Very cool stuff Aaron.   :)

When is the backflip going to be implemented?

Are you planning have voice-overs and redrawn cutscenes?

malducci

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 02:57:37 PM »
Nice! What did you write the code in?

NightWolve

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 07:08:23 PM »
Holy... What the?? Man Aaron, that's fantastic! I don't believe it. How far are you gonna go with this?

--

Ah darn, no workie for me. I'll try another Windows partition and see if it behaves better than on my XP.

FM-77

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 08:40:52 PM »
Two questions:

One. Where's the pipe?

And two -- gimme the pipe.

:?

Seriously though. Did you make it in Game Maker? Seems like it. :) And the game doesn't work in XP Media Center 2005 English (at least not for me). I had to use Windows 98 Compatibility Mode.

Edit: Oh, and the game looks good so far. Good work!