Author Topic: White CD Jewel-cases  (Read 268 times)

Yamazaki

White CD Jewel-cases
« on: February 03, 2013, 07:03:51 AM »
Since a lot of my CD-Rom games are in a rather poor condition I wwnated to ask if I can just replace the jewel cases with regular white jewel cases?

as far as I have checked they seem to be identical.

or am I missing something?

esteban

Re: White CD Jewel-cases
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 07:15:43 AM »
Since a lot of my CD-Rom games are in a rather poor condition I wwnated to ask if I can just replace the jewel cases with regular white jewel cases?

You can replace them with any color/transparent/translucent/etc. jewel case you desire.
  |    | 

jperryss

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 07:21:12 AM »

You can replace them with any color/transparent/translucent/etc. jewel case you desire.

They are easily replaced but I've checked lots of stores and could only find the clear ones (which look cheap).

White, black, clear, doubles, etc. are all over eBay and Amazon.com, but you gotta watch the shipping costs.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 07:50:43 AM »
watch out for cheap newer cases which are cheap thin plastic and don't look right. I got a large lot of junk cds a while back for free from a thrift and used them for replacement cases.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

Jibbajaba

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 08:02:34 AM »
Yeah the new jewel cases are far flimsier than the old ones.

Regarding white ones, I keep my eye out at thrift stores and flea markets for NOS CD-Rs that come packaged in white jewel cases.

Chris

SignOfZeta

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 08:10:59 AM »

I wouldn't do it. My friend "upgraded" all his PCE games to new white ones from a certain source.

The next day he was diagnosed with cancer of the...um..."bathroom area". While he was at the hospital getting the bad news, lighting struck his house and it burned to the ground, destroying his collection of PCE and also his family.

In short, NO WAY!

Yamazaki

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 10:16:59 AM »
 :lol:

esteban

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 03:21:54 PM »

In short, NO WAY!

STATUS: Zeta brings up some good points. Ultimately, I have to agree with him. Ignore my earlier comments. Thank you.

|    | 

Yamazaki

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 11:16:24 AM »
I just realized that even if I find some regular white CD jewel case, I need the original ones with the Compact Disc Digial Audio Logo from back then :(

xelement5x

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 10:11:55 AM »
You could maybe try retrobrighting/peroxiding the originals and see if they whiten up.  Similar to Punkic, I've got a handful of old Sony CDRs I continue to find at thrifts which look near identical.

The hard part is finding a white double cd case!
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Yamazaki

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 11:38:05 AM »
I also just realized that in my case almost all damaged CDs have cracked jewel cases and intact trays.............

so I basically just need transparent jewel cases right???

esteban

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 03:52:13 PM »
I also just realized that in my case almost all damaged CDs have cracked jewel cases and intact trays.............

so I basically just need transparent jewel cases right???

Exactly. The most common damage an inner tray undergoes is broken "thingie" ring that CD snaps into. If that ring is intact, then you are golden.

|    |