Author Topic: 5 months to finish out a game - Scott Pilgrim vs The world  (Read 392 times)

Nando

5 months to finish out a game - Scott Pilgrim vs The world
« on: February 05, 2013, 04:20:28 AM »
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/04/the-story-of-scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world-the-game-and-how-it-was-made-in-just-5-months/

The translation is rought, but an interesting article no less.

From the link

"Richard Tsao, Managing Director at Ubisoft Chengdu: So I’ll give you a good example time back to Scott Pilgrim. Scott Pilgrim was originated started in Montreal and it was supposed to be completed in Ubisoft Montreal. What happened was, Ubisoft Montreal wanted to reprioritize some of their resources on some next generation products and they didn’t have enough resources at hand to be able to complete the project. Also, they felt that physically the time was too short left. We had about six months left to launch window and they only have one level completed at that time with one set of characters. But, all pre-production was done. The whole plan was done, but they felt that in five months, because one month you need for certification, to create everything – the other six levels, the other three characters – was almost impossible by their studio to do.

Weighing out all those things they said we got to find another studio that says, “We can do this.” No other studio around Ubisoft would pick this up. They wouldn’t touch it with a 10-foot pole. Why? It’s like five months to make 80% of the game. You know? Who in the right mind will sign up for that? But it was a great opportunity for us. I’m like, no problem."

NinjaCrackerX

Re: 5 months to finish out a game - Scott Pilgrim vs The world
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 04:26:17 AM »
Such a great game, wish it was a little longer like Castle Crashers though. I even bought the soundtrack it was that good!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 04:29:01 AM »
I thought the game sucked.   If you play by yourself the games a giant pain in the ass.

I am on the ropes about my opinion of the soundtrack.   It's standard over arped nu-chiptune wank music.   Nothing to write home about.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

NinjaCrackerX

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 05:41:56 AM »
I thought the game sucked.   If you play by yourself the games a giant pain in the ass.

I am on the ropes about my opinion of the soundtrack.   It's standard over arped nu-chiptune wank music.   Nothing to write home about.
These type of games are a pain solo without grinding levels/ money etc.. They're pretty much made for the co-op aspect I think (and it's strange there wasn't online off the bat). I really enjoyed the music and I did check out the band's other work but wasn't impressed..
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 05:43:56 AM by NinjaCrackerX »

Nando

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 06:01:41 AM »
Ark isn't a big Anamanaguchi fan, and to be honest there are A TON of other fairly undiscovered "Chip tune" artists. I have to agree though, I did like the soundtrack quite a bit more than their other stuff.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 06:14:34 AM »
I've seen Anamanaguchi live twice.  It's exactly what I said.  Nu-Chiptune wank music.  It's neat and all, but it all bleeds together and sounds the same.   Its either a bunch of dudes with gameboys and beatmachines, or a bunch of dudes with nintendos and beat machines.

Maybe add a guitar or two.  Real drums.   Still sounds the same.  The Follin-clone music (that isn't quite as good) just overtakes it all anyway.

It's alright live if all you want to do is jump around like a jackass and accidentally elbow fat kids in the face and see girls boobs pop out of their mario shirts they carefully cut into plunging V-Neck stuff.

NinjaCrackerX

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 06:31:00 AM »
It's alright live if all you want to do is jump around like a jackass and accidentally elbow fat kids in the face and see girls boobs pop out of their mario shirts they carefully cut into plunging V-Neck stuff.
Haha sounds like an interesting scene to watch from the balcony. I feel like an old head at shows anymore, I usually stick to the bar level if available ...
I never really heard any other chip tune bands other than Anamanaguchi, it's cool but I couldn't listen to it all the time. Did you ever listen to Horse the Band?

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 06:32:22 AM »
I never listened to them, no.

There are so many chiptune "bands" now that they all bleed together.   It really is just a bunch of dudes flailing around with gameboys, often incoherently.

The chiptune genre sort of devolved into background noise music instead of the sweeping melodies and shit from the 80s from dudes like Jeroen Tel. 

NinjaCrackerX

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 06:52:19 AM »
I never listened to them, no.

There are so many chiptune "bands" now that they all bleed together.   It really is just a bunch of dudes flailing around with gameboys, often incoherently.

The chiptune genre sort of devolved into background noise music instead of the sweeping melodies and shit from the 80s from dudes like Jeroen Tel.  
Just Youtubed Jeroen Tel he did a lot of nice work. My favorite soundtracks back in the 90's belonged to games like Sonic, Streets of Rage,  Phantasy Star 4 (big sega fan). I know a lot of people hated the Genny's music but I loved it.
Horse uses a gameboy I believe,  they've been around a while. Kind of a goofy wtf metal band, I believe some label it nintendocore...

*I keep having to edit bc I'm on a phone and my sausage fingers hit post when I'm trying to proofread.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:56:21 AM by NinjaCrackerX »

Nando

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 07:10:24 AM »
There's chiptune.com, 8bitcollective.com, 8bitpeoples.com you can more or less find something that tickles your fancy.

I recommend Copy and Starscream, mind you it's been a bit since I've paid attention to that "scene"

Nando

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 07:12:12 AM »
see girls boobs pop out of their mario shirts they carefully cut into plunging V-Neck stuff.

I feel like an old head at shows anymore

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 07:21:15 AM »
Starscream

Saw them live with Anamanaguchi.   Have their pins or whatever sitting on my desk.

Wasn't really impressed with the background noise caliber stuff, I guess.

Part of what really urks me is that the people doing this, you can barely talk to them about the hardware because they don't know anything.

Its like:   CARTRIDGE GO IN--->BLERPLERP COME OUT!!2

Completely opposite to back in the day, when the people knew what they were talking about.

I laughed at Starscream, only because while the dude was flailing around with his gameboy, he accidentally shut it off and they had to start over.

NinjaCrackerX

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 07:29:13 AM »
Classic line and the highlight of his career! I'll have to fart around on those sites and take a listen. The song in the link isn't too bad. I wish there were more rock/metal groups that incorporated the sound. I'm going to be seeing Sevendust & Lacuna Coil tonight in Lancaster, i'll check the venue see if they have any chip tune style shows lined up.

Nando

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 07:29:19 AM »

Part of what really urks me is that the people doing this, you can barely talk to them about the hardware because they don't know anything.

Its like:   CARTRIDGE GO IN--->BLERPLERP COME OUT!!2

Completely opposite to back in the day, when the people knew what they were talking about.

I laughed at Starscream, only because while the dude was flailing around with his gameboy, he accidentally shut it off and they had to start over.

The main different between enthusiast, musicians and true fans of the source. I think it goes for just about any genre of entertainment one cares to discuss. Kinda like a passing PCE fan that has the system and some games cause it's cool, vs the folk that "Obey"  sorta speak.

Back to the article, China never fails to provide the slave force that's for sure, or as they call it the "army." He may have a point with the creativity part of the social divide.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 07:35:02 AM »
Yeah, I guess.

But even synth users in the 80s basically understood what the hell they were doing with the synths. 

Nowadays a lot of them are just like I PRESS BUTTON.  IT GO SUPERSAW.   DONE.

It's all those damn presets, man!   MAKE EM WORK FOR THE NOISES