Author Topic: 'A Sneak Peek At NEC's PC-Engine' ~ VG&CE April 1989  (Read 384 times)

handygrafx

'A Sneak Peek At NEC's PC-Engine' ~ VG&CE April 1989
« on: March 03, 2006, 09:31:26 PM »
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/306/vgceapril19ln.jpg
http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/9315/vgceapril21nx.jpg
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/1125/vgceapril34jb.jpg

I cannot believe I found this online :shock:  -- VG&CE's April 1989 article on the PC-Engine.  when I had the actual magazine in spring-summer 1989 it was the first I had ever heard of the PC-Engine.  I was stunned when I saw it had a better game of R-Type than my Master System R-Type that I had just bought.  The funny thing is, the PC-Engine had been out in Japan for a year and a half, and its version of R-Type (both parts) had been out for a year.   Man, what a trip down memory lane seeing this article again.  

A few months after this magazine, I was seeing Keith Courage In Alpha Zones playing on a TurboGrafx-16 on a shelf behind the glass at my local Toys "R" US.  It would be another year and a few months, fall 1990, before I got my own TG16.

Keranu

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 11:48:43 AM »
Thanks for the article, it's really great! This would definitely turn on people's interests for the console back then, I know it would for me at least. Also this article states why the American version would be a bigger console, due to FCC reasons as Steve has said. ;)
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

TR0N

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 07:25:57 PM »
Thanks for the flashback man good stuff indeed 8)

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

theoakwoody

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 09:14:31 AM »
See if you can find the article from the next month that highlights the cd attachment.

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 09:23:36 AM »
Oh yeah, I was hoping you would have a feature on the CD stuff too, that must be awesome.

theoakwoody: Where is Lombard, IL? I live in Crete, IL which is a south Chicago subburb and there are actually quite a few other members here from the Illinois/Chicagoland area.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

handygrafx

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 03:26:55 AM »
Quote from: "theoakwoody"
See if you can find the article from the next month that highlights the cd attachment.

so far, can't find it.  I don't have it in my personal magazine collection, and i have not been able to find it online :(  but maybe some website will archive all the VG&CE from 1989 soon, I can only hope.

Quote from: "Keranu"
Oh yeah, I was hoping you would have a feature on the CD stuff too, that must be awesome.

theoakwoody: Where is Lombard, IL? I live in Crete, IL which is a south Chicago subburb and there are actually quite a few other members here from the Illinois/Chicagoland area.

Lombard, IL is one of the western Chicago suburbs.  
Lombard is west (or WSW) of  Elmhurst, IL - east of Wheaton, IL  
and north of Downers Grove, IL

Lombard, IL was home to Sendai Publications, the guys that did EGM and its spinoffs from 1989 to about 94-95 before Ziff Davis took over EGM.

theoakwoody

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 04:52:43 AM »
Yeah, I actually grew up in Westmont and Hinsdale but now I'm slightly further west of Chicago in Lombard.

I actually know a guy who lives in the area that used to be a "turbo player" back in the day.  He actually worked for the NEC hotline to help gamers with hints and stuff.  He's kind of a friend of a friend but he's got a crap load of tg16 stuff.  I'm going to have to hook up with him one of these days but he's busy getting married soon so I'll leave him alone till after the honeymoon.

How old are you guys?

Keranu

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 04:14:22 PM »
I looked up Lombard on Google Earth after my post, I shoulda done that before hand :D . The Chicago subburbs is totally the area for Turbo gamers in America ;) . I've met a couple other people at my school before who had a Turbo Grafx 16 back in the day, too bad I never had one myself, growing up in Sauk Village.

I am 18 years old.