Author Topic: 'enough power to drill all existing systems into the ground'  (Read 349 times)

supergrafxpcengine2

'enough power to drill all existing systems into the ground'
« on: March 08, 2006, 01:44:16 PM »
one of the first rumblings of the PC-FX  ....... about 4.5 years before it came out:

this is from EGM Number 10,  May 1990, page 28

this was about 2 years before Ironman ~ Project Tetsujin was revealed,
and about 4 and a half years (almost 5 years ) before PC-FX came out--given that a May magazine would have news that was discovered from anywhere from January to March.

I just LOVE that quote, even if its hyperbole....
"with enough power to drill all existing systems into the ground"

that's what NEC's 32-bit system, Ironman ~ PC-FX,  should've done to Neo-Geo, SNES, SegaCD,
SNES Sony-Nintendo 'Play Station' CD,  
Sega 32X, and even Saturn..... with the 32-bit Sony Playstation never existing had the Sony-Nintendo CD-ROM alliance held.

supergrafxpcengine2

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 08:09:45 AM »
now here is a later piece from Quarterman about the NEC 32-bit.... where they call it  Phoenix

EGM #35, June, 1992  

I believe that Ironman was revealed in May or June that year, but since this is a June EGM, that info on Ironman would not have shown up for another month or so.

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 01:32:23 PM »
Great scans as usual!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

supergrafxpcengine2

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 09:57:39 AM »
I'm really bummed that I no longer have EGM's look at the Ironman from 1992.  I think it was in a special CES insert.  they're is a small, shorterned version in EGM that I can take a picture of, but I don't have the somewhat more extensive version.

okay here's the small EGM version

supergrafxpcengine2

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 09:15:28 AM »
I am also looking for the October (or maybe November) 1992 issue of Video Games & Computer Entertainment magazines, or scans of their pages.

In their News Bits section, there is an article on the Hudson 32-bit board with descriptions of the functions of each of the main chips (IIRC).

it's either in this VG&CE (Oct 92)

or in this VG&CE (Nov 92)

well, I am 95% certain it's in one of those two.

dairugger

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 12:45:03 AM »
I believe i have these two issues, i know i have atleast the sonic one, and im pretty sure i also have the pop one.. ill check through my mag boxes and see..

dairugger

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 12:46:54 AM »
I believe i have these two issues, i know i have atleast the sonic one, and im pretty sure i also have the pop one.. ill check through my mag boxes and see..

supergrafxpcengine2

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 05:56:11 PM »
cool man.  if you do happen to have it, and can find that articles in the news bits section, scan and post it, it would be greatly appreciated.

I think i lost those VG&CE issues when I moved last :|