Author Topic: 32" Sony WEGA Trinitron KV-32FS13 good for Turbo console gaming?  (Read 1352 times)

Bardoly

So, I'm at a local thrift store, and I see that they have all of their TVs on-sale today for $5.00 + tax each.  I walk up and see this Sony WEGA Trinitron KV-32FS13.  I think that I remember reading somewhere online that the Sony WEGA is a pretty good TV for 8-16 bit console gaming.  Can anyone confirm this?  The TV looks to be in pretty good shape with its instruction manual and remote control included.

PunkicCyborg

Re: 32" Sony WEGA Trinitron KV-32FS13 good for Turbo console gaming?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 08:52:09 AM »
I had the same tv for a while. The picture looks nice but the colors are a little washed out, I found myself changing the color settings a lot. It has a nice selection of inputs and if it's $5 go for it. The only thing that really bugged me were the speakers on the front were really weak and the volume was always close to max and it wasn't even very loud.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

SignOfZeta

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 09:08:18 AM »
Yes.

GohanX

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 06:20:24 PM »
I would pay much, much more than $5 for that TV. I hope you've got some friends, that TV is nearly 200 lbs.

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 06:31:35 PM »
It has component input, it would be perfect for standard DEF gaming.  I run a larger one 36inch and it is HD, it rules.

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

Bardoly

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 06:58:58 PM »
I would pay much, much more than $5 for that TV. I hope you've got some friends, that TV is nearly 200 lbs.

Well, for $5.35, I couldn't pass it up.  And yes it is pretty heavy.  I got it set up where I want it, but I didn't have time today to hook up a game console.  We watched a DVD movie on it though, and the picture is great!  Everything about it seems to be working very well so far.  :)

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 07:08:40 PM »
that tv looked especially good with ps2 via component and i had my cable box hooked up with s-vid which had a really natural look for people on tv
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

Black Tiger

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 04:22:59 AM »
If its that last popular crt Sony, then I'm pretty sure that it doesn't support 480p, but thats not a big deal if its only for 240p games. If it is that silver model with the angukar boxed back, then it is a pain in the ass to move, access the inputs and has slightly poorer overall image quality compared to some other non-budget sets from the same period. My brother got rid of his 32" a few years ago, because, aside from the image quality fading fast, the screen had begin to sink towards obe side within the housing. Still one of the best crts from that period though. Just dont pay much for it.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

jeffhlewis

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 05:28:08 AM »
My Wega is amazing - PCE S-video looks fantastic on it and I just spent some time playing PS2 Gradius V over component.

For $5 you'd be crazy to pass it up.

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 02:02:15 PM »
Mine is a 27" that is similar from 2003. These things are perfect for retrogaming without resorting to buying a very expensive set or professional monitor like a Sony PVM. They handle 240p perfectly. Any problems with the blacks, sharpness, colors and geometry can be fixed with 'Service Mode'. It is quite easy to work with. Even composite video on a NES with its 3D comb filtering looks great.

For 480i gaming on the PS2 for example... I prefer my 36" Toshiba HD CRT which uses a 4:3 aspect ratio screen. It takes 480i and up-scans it to 480p with no lag that is noticeable. So, it gets rid of the shaky flickering of 480i. It looks sharper and more vibrant than on a regular SD monitor. Using 480p mode for the few PS2 games that support progressive scan look even better. I was really happy to get component cables for my Game Cube to use on it and fire up RE4 and MGS: Twin Snakes.

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 04:47:56 PM »
Mine is a 27" that is similar from 2003. These things are perfect for retrogaming without resorting to buying a very expensive set or professional monitor like a Sony PVM. They handle 240p perfectly. Any problems with the blacks, sharpness, colors and geometry can be fixed with 'Service Mode'. It is quite easy to work with. Even composite video on a NES with its 3D comb filtering looks great.

For 480i gaming on the PS2 for example... I prefer my 36" Toshiba HD CRT which uses a 4:3 aspect ratio screen. It takes 480i and up-scans it to 480p with no lag that is noticeable. So, it gets rid of the shaky flickering of 480i. It looks sharper and more vibrant than on a regular SD monitor. Using 480p mode for the few PS2 games that support progressive scan look even better. I was really happy to get component cables for my Game Cube to use on it and fire up RE4 and MGS: Twin Snakes.
Get the component cables for the PS2, some games are in 480P like god of war 2 I believe.

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

Black Tiger

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 09:15:35 AM »
Only like 1% of PS2 games support 480p. I think that only like 5% of Dreamcast games do not.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 12:59:50 PM »
Buy it bro for that price you really can't go wrong ...
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 05:24:35 PM »
Get the component cables for the PS2, some games are in 480P like god of war 2 I believe.

Oh, I got component cables for my PS2 since I bought my Sony WEGA Trinitron back in 2004. Just soon after that, I modded my Neo Geo AES with Neobitz Component video.

Yeah, I only own a few PS2 games that support 480p. Tekken 4 and 5, Genesis Collection, Capcom Classics Vol. 2, Guilty Gear X2, and SF Alpha Anthology (Not sure if the US one does it as I could have sworn I tried it with no success, but it is on the list and probably means the JP version). I still find it silly that the PS2 rarely utilized its 240p capability for games that were originally in that resolution to begin with. The only games I know of that are in 240p are: Gradius III on the Gradius 3+4 disc, ICO, and Tekken 1 and 2 arcade games on the Tekken 5 disc.

Here's the EDTV, HDTV list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_with_HD_support

Kind of curious how well those force 480p homebrew software programs like GSM work.

Anywho, here's the only link I could really find for Sony Service mode codes and settings. It will come in handy.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/531494/the-sony-service-codes-articles-comments-discoveries