Author Topic: Games that are in the mail  (Read 3206 times)

pixeljunkie

Games that are in the mail
« on: March 17, 2006, 06:44:52 PM »
and on their way to me:

Tatsujin, Air Zonk [US], Download, and Tale Spin [US]

Don't ask my why I got Tale Spin....I used to have it back when it came out....and while its not great, I just wanted to have it again. Not to mention I snagged it together with Air Zonk w/manual [and Bonks Revenge, but I already have that] for $50! Got Download for $10 complete [plus shipping of $8]

Gonna' be a good couple weeks.

esteban

Re: Games that are in the mail
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 08:56:13 PM »
Quote from: "pixeljunkie"
and on their way to me:

Tatsujin, Air Zonk [US], Download, and Tale Spin [US]

Don't ask my why I got Tale Spin....I used to have it back when it came out....and while its not great, I just wanted to have it again. Not to mention I snagged it together with Air Zonk w/manual [and Bonks Revenge, but I already have that] for $50! Got Download for $10 complete [plus shipping of $8]

Gonna' be a good couple weeks.
Good deal on Download! I like Download, and the gratuitous vulgarities used in the "between stages" screens are pretty amusing (even the game over screen says something like, "You can't f*cking give up!"

I picked up TaleSpin a few months ago as well -- I never played it and I was curious to see how it was. Still haven't played it much. It's much better than Darkwing Duck, though. I can tell you that much.
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 06:08:55 PM »
Hawk-F123.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

pixeljunkie

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 11:54:05 AM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
Hawk-F123.

PLEASE post your impressions...I am very curious about this one

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 05:30:08 PM »
I have been very curious as well, though I need to contact the seller for it (whom I know who has posted here at least once), because I think he might've forgot about the auction.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 02:11:29 PM »
Quote from: "pixeljunkie"
Quote from: "Keranu"
Hawk-F123.

PLEASE post your impressions...I am very curious about this one
Ahhh, I bought this a long time ago and it certainly isn't as bad as folks make it out to be. But it certainly isn't anything to get too excited about either.

I liked that it was a challenging (if short) shooter. It's very old-skool (all the sprites / backgrounds / action seem very FLAT ), but it's neat that DODGING is a crucial skill in this game. You can't simply blast everything (at least, I haven't found a way).

I should warn you that I am a masochist and continued to play this game even though it quickly became frustrating and seemed to have lots of "cheap" areas.... but I've often found that skill / memorization can solve many accusations of a game being "cheap", so I don't know if the game is actually cheap or if I simply lack the SKILLZ. I haven't played the game in years.

I do remember this: I liked the JAZZY-ROCK soundtrack. Many folks will dismiss it, but I think it was somewhat refreshing. Some tracks are very commercial-poppy-Jazzy-rock, while other veer closer to generic tunes ("Top Gun" - inspired?).

There is a funny, extremely basic / generic opening cinema -- it doesn't really get you "pumped-up", but the names of the pilots are on their helmets and, IIRC, "BOM KILLER" (or something like that) is one of the pilots' names. Awesome.

Since this game is (or at least it was), very, very cheap ($5-10), I'd say it was definitelly worth getting for fans of the shooter genre. It is playable, it offers a challenge, and offers some novelty value to the masochists out there.

There is a HuCard game that is very similar to this... Power Gate, a game I bought a long time ago and was devastated by its lameness. Now, however, I don't mind how lame it is (it's in the league of F 123 Hawk, perhaps a notch below, I can't remember)
, but back in the day I paid a lot for it (early 90's).

I don't recall beating either game, but I know that I must have gotten awfully close because I put a lot of hours into both of these games.

DISCLAIMER: Most folks will denounce both Power Gate and Hawk F 123 as complete and utter trash. My philosophy is to try to enjoy games if they are "playable".
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 02:54:15 PM »
Thanks for the words, Steve, I'm really interested in hearing the JAZZY ROCk soundtrack for it.

And yes, I've played Power Gate on emulation before and later saw screenshots for Hawk-F123 and noticed how incredibly similar they look! Since I couldn't remember the name for Power Gate, I was doing some mad research trying to find it so I could compare it again!

Bonknuts

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 11:53:11 AM »
In the mail...

Emerald Dragon
Babel
Monster Maker
Mateki Densetsu Astralius
Far east of Eden Kabuki Den
Far east of Eden 2
Side Arms Special
Legend of Xanadu
Tenno Koe backup
L-Dis
Shubibinman 3
Kabuki Itto Ryodan
Psychic storm
Ranma 1/2 Hanayome
Ranma 1/2
Final Zone 2 (j)
Macross (shooter)
Spriggan Mark 2
Magic Knight Rayearth(saturn US) - not PCE though :P

oh yeah, arcade card pro ... 8)

Keranu

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 02:57:53 PM »
Wow, big spender this month, eh? 8)

Give me your Arcade Card Pro, please.

Bonknuts

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 03:17:42 PM »
Give me your Arcade Card Pro, please.

Why Pro, don't you have a Duo?

big spender this month, eh?  

Just making up for last year.

Fatal Fury Special
Ultra Box 4 & 6
Magicoal
World Heroes 2

Keranu

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 04:18:07 PM »
I have a Turbo Duo and a PC Engine + CDROM2, so unfortunately I can't buy the more affordable Arcade Card Duo :( .

Bonknuts

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 02:53:43 PM »
in the mail :D

DRAGON SLAYER (J)
RECORD OF LODOSS
RECORD OF LODOSS WAR 2
CONAN BOY IN THE FUTURE
MAMONO HUNTER YOKO
COSMIC FANTASY 4 GEKITOHEN
COSMIC FANTASY 4 TOTSUNYUHEN
COSMIC FANTASY 3
Arunamu no Kiba
Star Breaker
Startling Oddyssey II ( just received)
another SGX system

merriman_bk

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 03:43:39 PM »
in the mail as well  8)

Cotton (US)
Den Den No Den
Godzilla (US)
Gradius II
Time Cruise (US)
Valis III (US)
other various pce games
various dreamcast games
gamera and godzilla dreamcast vmus!

and what I'm most excited about:

an unboxed but complete/NM PC Engine Duo RX (snagged it for $150 shipped :D )

That one's going to go straight off to D-lite for region modding heh.

----------------------------------------------
Sold to: 2X4, carbon tiger, chop5, grahf, gundarN, hizaygizirlz, Joe Redifer, Keranu, MrFulci, nat, runinruder, shubibiman, steve666, T2KFreeker, vestcoat
ebay id: merriman_bk --> 100% positive

grendelrt

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 03:16:22 AM »
Where else do you guys shop at? A duo RX for 150 shipped where did you snag that???

In the mail for me

Devil's Crush (US)  <-- I lost 7 auctions on this one, finally snagged it for a reasonable price. $15 + Shipping

Shape Shifter (Jap) New Sealed for 7 bucks! Never played if before, so I am excited.

Legendary Axe II (US) <-- My guilty pleasure

All Complete, except the cardboard box.

merriman_bk

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 03:24:37 AM »
Quote from: "grendelrt"
A duo RX for 150 shipped where did you snag that???

Ebay believe it or not, a guy put it up with a $130 BIN and $20 shipping -- I must've been one of the first to see it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&item=110015103700&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

Wasn't ever planning on buying one (I'm happy with my modded PCE Duo) but at that price I couldn't resist heh.

----------------------------------------------
Sold to: 2X4, carbon tiger, chop5, grahf, gundarN, hizaygizirlz, Joe Redifer, Keranu, MrFulci, nat, runinruder, shubibiman, steve666, T2KFreeker, vestcoat
ebay id: merriman_bk --> 100% positive