Author Topic: "The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers" Book KickStarter  (Read 3582 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: "The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers" Book KickStarter
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 03:14:59 AM »
I personally detest this man....

I remember you talking about the clown before - f*ck him and big floppy clown shoes.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

SignOfZeta

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 06:04:30 AM »
I don't have any cool stories about this guy, and I think taking money for a book you haven't written yet when you aren't an established author is a recipe for disaster, but this article:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/nausicaa/nausicaa.htm

Was pretty cool and educational, at least for me. It might be full of mistakes as far as I know, but it seems decent and it did at least attempt to answer many questions I've been wondering about for decades.

I think there are too many articles on this website now. Too much pressure to create content on a regular basis, which is likely leading to a downturn in quality.

jeffhlewis

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 03:06:03 PM »
I know you guys apparently hate this dude, but...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1748556728/the-untold-history-of-japanese-game-developers/posts/520177

Love him or hate him, I'm really interested to read these interviews, assuming he comes through with the book.

Tatsujin

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 03:13:59 PM »
OHROLF!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

roflmao

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 03:28:11 PM »
I hope this book comes to fruition.  It sounds fantastic.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 03:50:38 PM »
Man Hodor could have written better articles than this guy and thats not saying much.

NightWolve

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 05:34:23 PM »
Ah damn, he made it!

How does kickstarter work anyway ?? Like, if he didn't quite make it the first time, how easy is it to repost the idea again (time restricted?) but with an amount that was about how much you got pledged the last time you tried ?

jeffhlewis

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 05:49:02 PM »
Ah damn, he made it!

How does kickstarter work anyway ?? Like, if he didn't quite make it the first time, how easy is it to repost the idea again (time restricted?) but with an amount that was about how much you got pledged the last time you tried ?

AFAIK you can keep trying as long as you want, but obviously you don't carry over existing pledges. I've seen a few go for round 2 at lower total goals and make it.

Punch

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
I'm surprised about your statements about him, NightWolve. He seemed such a nice guy, but he really fits the description of "doing a review but not even playing the game" that Deadite said, because I figured out most of that crappy PC-88 Nausicaa game within 15 minutes, and I didn't capture a screenie of the oh so mysterious gliding minigame because it crashes on all emulators I've tried in this part. I even made a map of all items and paths of the """game""" with another 15 minutes, he seemed surprised as if I played a huge game for days straight, which sounded like he only played the game for half a minute to prepare his article. Sure it is an unbearable piece of crap, but still.

NightWolve

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 06:28:09 PM »
I'm surprised about your statements about him, NightWolve.

His hate for me developed in November 2008 as best as I can figure when he couldn't find my Ys IV patch on that single free webpage I was stuck with at the time (it was free web space from MS, like Googlepages). I only had my PC patches available on mediafire links, no NEC/PCE love at the time... :( That led to him running around claiming I was trying to make that Ys IV patch "disappear from the Internet," one of his many issues with me. Emailing me to ask for that patch was too much work for him to do apparently. But the issue is far more than that, it's an ideological/political type of grudge that you see in the Left/Right divide where we really hate each other, and so that led to him writing a hit piece on me on HardcoreGaming 101.

Anyhow, he's only ever showed me his nasty side, so that's all I've had to judge him by. I can tell you he never once contacted me to verify ANYTHING. If I was trying to stop GeeMac32bit from running another Ys IV dubbing project, what were my reasons for doing so ?? Where were the quotes from GeeMac32bit to verify this accusation ??? This guy is a journalist, and he just made completely false statements without bothering to back them up! Kurt Kalata, HG's owner, just deleted most of it and issued a correction. I am an a$$hole and I do get ugly, so sometimes those that read my rants and vehemently disagree wanna "stick it to me," he was one of them that did so, etc. He didn't care to fact-check though! He also dropped a lot of venom against BurntLasagna here because I called him out about this in the Ys IV ReadMe.

Anyway, off he goes to Japan! Kickstarter, wow... I should look into that sometime is all I can say!!

Tatsujin

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 06:42:04 PM »
Farkstarter. Seems that even a bum can start a petition and wins a ticket to anywhere he likes to go, meet some peeps and perhaps then releases a bookm when he feels like..lol.

Even Peter Farklyneux put up projects on farkstarter, if he hadn't cash enough to rise up the funds he needs.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 07:00:41 PM »
Damn.

1100+ people are shortbus.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

esteban

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2013, 12:34:39 AM »
STATUS: I will be selling lemonade and Chex Mix (my daughter scooped individual portions into plastic sandwich bags) at the corner of DeForest Ave. and Kelly Street this afternoon to help this accomplished author (artisan) journey to the west.
  |    | 

SuperDeadite

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2013, 01:34:49 AM »
Here's the part of this that I love the most.  He states he has contacts, has people who want to be interviewed.  But he hasn't done so.  Now it's the year 2013, he could do Skype interviews for free.  And I'm sure it's far cheaper to have a professional translator join a skype session, then to meet you publicly.  So the whole point of this kickstarter is that he personally wants to go to Japan.  I have no issue with this, but why the f*ck should the world pay for it?  This isn't about helping him do this project, this is about him getting his personal dream on a free ride.

And again based on what he's written, I have a feeling this book is gonna be quite uninteresting.  f*ck this hack.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2013, 02:19:54 AM »
STATUS: I will be selling lemonade and Chex Mix (my daughter scooped individual portions into plastic sandwich bags) at the corner of DeForest Ave. and Kelly Street this afternoon to help this accomplished author (artisan) journey to the west.

Now this is a venture I'd support.  Le Turbob Doodle goes to Camp California?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles