Author Topic: "The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers" Book KickStarter  (Read 3606 times)

ccovell

Re: "The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers" Book KickStarter
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2014, 02:56:19 PM »
So it appears he's another French scam-artist.  ROLF.  Here's hoping he gets what he deserves.
In all fairness to the French, John is a Brit.

tggodfrey

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2014, 03:55:24 PM »
Wow.  This seems like nothing more than a get rich scheme.  Get 115k US, spend 30K on creating a book (good or bad) and keep the remaining.

I am going to go out on a limb here.....John is f*cked.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

Emerald Rocker

« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2014, 05:34:02 PM »
On Kickstarter updates, John Sleazepaniak admitted that he spent money out of the book budget (i.e., money that was given by backers) to pay someone to translate emails from the interpreters, so that he could then whine about their unprofessionalism.  And had the balls to complain that the interpeters were using up the backers' money by making him do such things.  Of course, he did this in the most hyperbolic way -- by calling them sociopaths, the worst people he'd ever known, and whining about "persecution" (I know a lot of people who would take issue with his use of "persecution" there).

After an insult-filled tirade, John Sleazepaniak then said that he intends to include details in the book of how/why the money was spent, so that backers know what really happened.  In other words, he's planning to PUT THIS MADNESS IN PRINT.

And then!  After basically saying he's going to smear all these people in print, he acts incredulous in a subsequent Kickstarter update when he finds out that the targets of his wrath don't want the book to be published (no doubt because they were reading his updates).

John Sleazepaniak's posts alone provide enough "facts" for me to decide that he is the one at fault in this fiasco.  Hearing the story from the other side just reaffirms it.  As far as I'm concerned, HG101 is dead to me unless they kick this goon to the curb.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 05:38:55 PM by Emerald Rocker »
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

esteban

On Kickstarter updates, John Sleazepaniak admitted that he spent money out of the book budget (i.e., money that was given by backers) to pay someone to translate emails from the interpreters, so that he could then whine about their unprofessionalism.  And had the balls to complain that the interpeters were using up the backers' money by making him do such things.  Of course, he did this in the most hyperbolic way -- by calling them sociopaths, the worst people he'd ever known, and whining about "persecution" (I know a lot of people who would take issue with his use of "persecution" there).

After an insult-filled tirade, John Sleazepaniak then said that he intends to include details in the book of how/why the money was spent, so that backers know what really happened.  In other words, he's planning to PUT THIS MADNESS IN PRINT.

And then!  After basically saying he's going to smear all these people in print, he acts incredulous in a subsequent Kickstarter update when he finds out that the targets of his wrath don't want the book to be published (no doubt because they were reading his updates).

John Sleazepaniak's posts alone provide enough "facts" for me to decide that he is the one at fault in this fiasco.  Hearing the story from the other side just reaffirms it.  As far as I'm concerned, HG101 is dead to me unless they kick this goon to the curb.

Has this guy written credible stuff at HG101?

I've read a random selection of content at HG101, years ago. I doubt I read much by this fellow (I'm going to verify this in the next few moments)...
  |    | 

Tatsujin

« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2014, 10:41:08 PM »
  As far as I'm concerned, HG101 is dead to me unless they kick this goon to the curb.

UBERWORD!!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2014, 05:57:12 AM »
Kickstarter....sigh.....

Mathius

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2014, 05:30:10 PM »
I haven't read all this thread so if I am repeating others comments please forgives.

I received the DVD History of Japanese Game Developers that John made. While the DVD has so many interesting interviews and behind the scenes material I can't shake the feeling I have that John just isn't that great of a person. He seems to me to be pretty full of himself and lacks any real journalistic professionalism. His review of the Rayxamber series on HG101 should have been a dead giveaway. But I would caution anyone here from turning their backs on the site as it is still a treasure trove of awesomeness.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

HailingTheThings

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2014, 06:48:24 PM »
I haven't read all this thread so if I am repeating others comments please forgives.

I received the DVD History of Japanese Game Developers that John made. While the DVD has so many interesting interviews and behind the scenes material I can't shake the feeling I have that John just isn't that great of a person. He seems to me to be pretty full of himself and lacks any real journalistic professionalism. His review of the Rayxamber series on HG101 should have been a dead giveaway. But I would caution anyone here from turning their backs on the site as it is still a treasure trove of awesomeness.

Was considering picking this up, but at that price tag, idk... :(

jeffhlewis

« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2014, 03:22:14 AM »
The bastard came through after all. Finally got the book in the mail yesterday - the printing is really bizarre (crazy margins and kind of an old-school 'zine / thrown together look to it) but it's HUGE - 400+ pages of wall to wall text. Couple juicy looking PC Engine nuggets in there from the looks of it too. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. Looking forward to reading it.

esteban

The bastard came through after all. Finally got the book in the mail yesterday - the printing is really bizarre (crazy margins and kind of an old-school 'zine / thrown together look to it) but it's HUGE - 400+ pages of wall to wall text. Couple juicy looking PC Engine nuggets in there from the looks of it too. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. Looking forward to reading it.

Dude, post pics/scans ASAP! Or, when it is convenient for you. 
  |    | 

ultrageranium

« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2014, 08:07:53 AM »
I did not know about this project and reading quickly through this thread, reddit, kickstarter and a few blogs, it seems to be a first class clusterf*ck drama :/

All that said, if the material is good and has been correctly translated, it sounds super nice, I'd also love to hear some feedback about the content, namely if it covers 90s game development workflows and practices!

NightWolve

Re: Libel Lawsuit of John Szczepaniak
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2014, 08:17:56 AM »
I never got around to doing a full write up about this, but jeffhlewis called it right about Pyscho John motivating a libel lawsuit. It happened. I was in touch with the husband of the Metal Gear Solid 2 translator and they were sure about his residence and having started the lawsuit properly.

http://versusjs.blogspot.jp/

They even let me post my story about my experiences with him, always happy to lend a helping hand to a guy like John. ;) He blocked me on his Kickstarter page too. Heh-heh. I just shared my glee about the lawsuit against him, told him I posted my story, and he reported me to the mods, so I got blocked. ;)

jeffhlewis

« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2014, 08:45:11 AM »
I never got around to doing a full write up about this, but jeffhlewis called it right about Pyscho John motivating a libel lawsuit. It happened. I was in touch with the husband of the Metal Gear Solid 2 translator and they were sure about his residence and having started the lawsuit properly.

They even let me post my story about my experiences with him, always happy to lend a helping hand to a guy like John. ;) He blocked me on his Kickstarter page too. Heh-heh. I just shared my glee about the lawsuit against him, told him I posted my story, and he reported me to the mods, so I got blocked. ;)

Yeah I had legit concerns about that lawsuit hindering me from getting my copy of the book. Luckily he got them out the door before any kind of cease and desist. I'm not the biggest fan of this guy personally but I definitely wanted to read the source material because frankly, it's right up my alley (Japanese developer interviews are always must-reads for me and this is a book chock full of them).

But the drama? Off the charts. This whole Kickstarter ordeal has been a non-stop woe-is-me affair with finger pointing, pretentious use of the English language and whiny diatribes. This guy seriously has a screw loose and while I don't know the full extent of what really happened, I tend to side with the plaintiff on this one due to the way he treats people online.

Mathius

« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2014, 12:48:23 PM »

Jeez! I didn't really know what was actually going on with this guy. I know Nightwolve had some kind of beef with the guy, and that the MGS2 translator did was well but didn't know specifics. I have only watched about half of the DVD as I just get a bad vibe from the guy. Wish we could remove him from the DVD and insert someone else through CG. I applaud the guy's love for the industry that we obviously love just as much. I just wish the man would get some help. This is ridiculous.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

esteban

Jeez! I didn't really know what was actually going on with this guy. I know Nightwolve had some kind of beef with the guy, and that the MGS2 translator did was well but didn't know specifics. I have only watched about half of the DVD as I just get a bad vibe from the guy. Wish we could remove him from the DVD and insert someone else through CG. I applaud the guy's love for the industry that we obviously love just as much. I just wish the man would get some help. This is ridiculous.

Send me DVD, I'LL PAY SHIPPING.
  |    |