Author Topic: *sigh* Anyone here mod Sega CDs? Or have a flash cart for sale?  (Read 268 times)

VenomMacbeth

I thought I'd read somewhere that Mega CD games are region-free, but apparently I was mistaken.  I'm now waiting on a copy of Ninja Warriors to come that I can't even play.  Soooo...anyone here qualified to region mod a model 1 Sega CD?  It needs some other work too, probably, like capacitor & possibly even laser replacement, so if you can do those things too, that's a plus.  

I'll also consider buying a flash cart instead, so I can just use the Mega CD BIOS. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:42:21 AM by VenomMacbeth »
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Bernie

• Facebook URL
Re: *sigh* Anyone here mod Sega CDs? Or have a flash cart for sale?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 10:28:10 AM »
I believe the CD unit itself has to be modded.  So using the flash with bios wont work... I don't think..  I'm not 100% sure though.  I've seen mods done where the CD unit had multi-bios added, so I'm fairly sure one of our techs here can do it.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 12:14:38 PM »
There was some Mega cart of some kind that is a flash cart and doubles as a multi region boot cart among other things.

http://www.sega-16.com/2007/03/sega-gear-tototek-mega-cart/

VenomMacbeth

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 12:29:03 PM »
There was some Mega cart of some kind that is a flash cart and doubles as a multi region boot cart among other things.

http://www.sega-16.com/2007/03/sega-gear-tototek-mega-cart/

Soooo where can I get one of these?  I see none on evilbay :/
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

TR0N

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 06:55:30 PM »
Either put in a multibios to play import sega-cd games or buy a flashcart.The everdrive md or the mega everdrive will work,just save a region free bios to it.Both are in stock at retrogate currently.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

rosewood

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 09:46:25 AM »
Two solutions:
1) There is a Datel "Pro CDX" cart (not to be mistaken with the Multi Mega / CDX), it let's you play games from other regions without opening the console.
2) Google the tools "scdconv" and "convscd", they mod the game (i.e. you have to rip, mod and burn it) but don't work for every game, especially odd japanese games refuse to start.

Here is a compatibility list, it says your game is compatible with both methods: http://aztrading.tripod.com/Sega-compat.html

xelement5x

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 08:15:58 AM »
Note, there are different versions of the CDX depending on the system you want to use it on.  It's really more of a collector thing at this point, since for a similar price you can get a flashcart which does so much more. 

Sega CD does do burns without any issues though (it seems to be more CDR tolerant) so region conversion is also an option. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story