Author Topic: Question about pc-engine sound  (Read 148 times)

gengus

Question about pc-engine sound
« on: November 11, 2013, 12:26:54 AM »
Hi, I'm quite new to the pc-engine world. I currently got a white pc-engine with a briefcase unit and a cd-rom2 system.
My question is regarding the sound quality of the pc-engine chip. I can hear a lot och crackling and popping with certain games. It is not very noticable in some games but in others it's so bad that I wonder if something is wrong with the sound chip or if it's the briefcase mixer that is giving the sound issues. A typical scenario is Atomic Robokid special's music. Where there is supposed to be a snare sound(i suppose) it is more like a crackling sound.
I know the sound chip isn't exactly state of the art but for example the Master system at least have got clean sound even if it's not very advanced.

Alright, could someone enlightened please inform me about these issues.
Besides that, the pc-engine is awesome!!

cheers,
Henrik

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
Re: Question about pc-engine sound
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 02:04:05 AM »
Welcome to the club. Sounds like some caps need replacing. I've not dealt with a "RF" unit briefcase before, but I'm sure Blue, Chop or the others will have some info for ya (in case there is not a tread already). I figure the interface unit is where it issues lay, but sound issues are normally associated with CD Redbook.

I had a Duo on the bench last week that had crackling audio. I replace the common sound caps and it seemed to make it 95% better...since it's not my Duo, I was not gonna attempt a complete capacitor replacement. My personal Duo seems to have lost all ADPCM, but I have a replacement m5205 coming and I hope that solves it. Welcome to the club where everything breaks.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"