Author Topic: online pc cleaning  (Read 378 times)

420GOAT

online pc cleaning
« on: November 17, 2013, 06:21:10 AM »
does anyone know of a good online cleaning site? my computer is very slow, with pop ups. im not tech savy at all. thanks.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

esteban

Re: online pc cleaning
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 07:28:04 AM »
Steam cleaning always works for me.
  |    | 

jeffhlewis

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 09:22:50 AM »
My favorite solution:

Step 1 - Back up all your shit and catalog what programs you have installed
Step 2 - Nuke your hard disk and reinstall Windows

Done!

Jibbajaba

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 09:27:34 AM »
My favorite solution:

Done!

It's the biggest pain in the ass, but it is also the most effective solution.  Makes your computer run like new.

You could also try "Malwarebytes", which is a pretty good antivirus/antispyware program.

Chris

jeffhlewis

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 09:38:34 AM »
My favorite solution:

Done!

It's the biggest pain in the ass, but it is also the most effective solution.  Makes your computer run like new.

You could also try "Malwarebytes", which is a pretty good antivirus/antispyware program.

Chris

It truly is a P.I.T.A., true. I always find though that the amount of time it took me to run malware logs and figure out what the problem areas were outweighed the amount of time it took me to nuke everything.

Stuff like Ninite that's come out in the past few years has made it a lot easier to go the re-install route. Click the options you want installed and it comes in one easy-to-install process.

http://ninite.com/

Don't forget to log all of your serial codes for purchased software and back up things like the fonts folder (if you're using any graphic software), your FTP profiles, bookmarks, etc.

jeffhlewis

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 10:54:01 AM »
Nuke and pave, IMO, should be a last resort.  If it is my system, it isn't such a big deal because i'm familiar with all aspects of how I'm set up (although I've never had to nuke and pave my own pc).  When dealing with others' systems, nuke and pave reeks of pizza tech.  You may not care that the custom mouse pointer or startup sound or priceless folder full of baby photos that was hiding in c:\hp\all-in-one\crapware have all gone missing, but the user will be devastated.  Obviously, precautions can be taken, but by the time you've backed up the user profiles and other locations and finished reinstalling the os and apps and spend a few hours on the phone with an ISP trying to recover email passwords or hunting endlessly for that discontinued driver, spending time to do malware removal doesn't seem so bad.  Hell, 90% of it is removed by automated processes... Might as well click "next" every few hours and clean up the remnants manually afterwards vs. All the hands on stuff of nuke and pave.

I did "on-the-side" PC fixing for years coming out of college to make extra beer money. In my experience most machines I got were screwed beyond recognition.

Granted this was like 2004-2007 so I'm sure things are much different now with better tools and better automated OS update patching.

Also that's why you clone the drive before nuking. Your client will always come back a week after the fact asking about their missing mouse cursor.

420GOAT

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 12:39:10 PM »
dude you f*ckers are smart, i know chevy and vw firing orders, and i know the history of VW and Camaros. Nullity, if i have too hard of a time, ill be in touch. my computer was logging off for two hours!! so i took at the battery. hahaha. thanks for the cool tips!

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

jeffhlewis

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 12:42:51 PM »
...i ended up spending 2+ hours in a house that smelled of urine and had about 10 caged birds screeching the whole time as i reinstalled a large binder of CDs to avoid a lawsuit. Hah, "never again!" I said.

This reminds of of like 50% of my Craigslist acquisitions, heh. I bought a Neo-Geo CDZ from a guy in Norfolk, VA a long time ago that required me Googling "how to remove tobacco tar and dog urine from a PCB"

geise

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 12:43:56 PM »
Trendmicro's Housecall is very nice if you don't have an installed virus scanning software.  http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

BTW Microsoft's Security Essentials is Free and actually very awesome.  Not the best, but it's better than even most of the paid scanners.

vestcoat

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 02:05:15 PM »
*Ccleaner
*Auslogics disk defrag.
*Free Registry defrag
*If you use Disk Cleanup, don't compress your files. It compromises performance for storage.
*Get your Windows Updates!
*Keep Adobe Flash up-to-date. If you must have Java, keep it up-to-date too.
*Forget about Malwarebytes, uninstall current antivirus, download Avast, disconnect internet, run an Avast boot-time scan, throw out old restore points, run another boot-time scan
*Disable unnecessary internet add-ons
*Uninstall unnecessary programs (know what you're doing!)
*Run msconfig and disable stupid Apple/Google/Adobe/Java startup programs
*Run msconfig, go to "services", hide microsoft services, and disable stupid services.
*Right click My computer, goto Advanced system settings, adjust for best performance
*Right-click your hard drives and disable Indexing
*If you have enough RAM, disable your paging file.
*Get a SSD or a 7200RPM HDD

Or buy something that does it all for you, like a Mac ($waste$) or Chromebook or something.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 02:10:14 PM by vestcoat »

420GOAT

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »
Steam cleaning always works for me.

regina or bisel?

roflmao