Author Topic: Old Source code  (Read 3955 times)

westwood68

Old Source code
« on: December 02, 2013, 08:10:02 PM »
Hi, I am a new member here but really joined because I did a couple of games on the pc engine for Accolade back in the mists of time.

I still have the floppies with the source code & was wondering if there might be any interest in making then available for download. Bear in mind that it was a long time ago and the source may not be best and up to modern standards (I haven't even looked at it yet...).

If there is an interest, can anyone point me to a resource that might be suitable to upload to so that it would be available to everyone. I was thinking of uploading the archive.org through Jason Scott but thought I would ask here first if there was somewhere better suited.
Thanks

PS the games in question are Gunboat and Turrican and the source is all in assembler. Not sure what the legalities are but I'm sure nobody really cares now..
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 08:28:22 PM by westwood68 »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: Old Source code
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 11:54:44 PM »
Turrican!  ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

You could always use Sourceforge?  but, Archive.org works, too.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Punch

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 01:41:15 AM »
Gunboat source code? I'm not sure if you could upload on Archive.org seeing that the source might still be copyrighted...

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 01:43:59 AM »
Please do share 'em somewhere (for posterity if nothing else), and welcome aboard!  You got any cool stories from back in the day of Turbob programming?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

jeffhlewis

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 02:03:31 AM »
You've definitely come to the right place - there's a lot of folks here who would love to check out the code and a lot of folks involved in the PCE/Turbo homebrew scene.

Would also love to hear some dev stories as well from back in the day.

westwood68

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 02:51:27 AM »
Gunboat source code? I'm not sure if you could upload on Archive.org seeing that the source might still be copyrighted...

Well we can but try...looks like all Accolade's assets went to Atari who have now filed for bankruptcy so I don't think anyone will really care. (Except maybe the copyright trolls...)

The code was a conversion of the original PC version written by Tom Loughry who I have tried to contact numerous time to no avail.

westwood68

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 03:01:13 AM »
You've definitely come to the right place - there's a lot of folks here who would love to check out the code and a lot of folks involved in the PCE/Turbo homebrew scene.

I'll get the code off first and tidy it up before any posting.

As for stories; there really aren't any outstanding ones other than the usual from back then. The biggest hurdle was the pig-english of the dev manuals (literal Japanese translations) and the lack of dev equipment/tools. I remember having to go down to a music shop and get the sheet music for Ride of the Valkyries then hand typing the numbers to represent the pitch and length of each note.

Of course the other issue was the fact that we were based in the UK and Accolade were in USA so any builds had to be sent by modem and took about 45 mins just for a single build. Most of the time the transfer failed as well.

Accolade did try to get us to do the C64 version of Gunboat as well because we had converted the code to 6502-like assembler. We had to point out that a cpu running at 1Mhz couldn't quite do the same as one running at 7.62...

TheOldMan

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 03:36:20 AM »
Thank You.  1000 times, Thank You.

No need to tidy up the code - it's always enlightening to see what developers did wrong, as well as right. If you happen to come across any other documentation or tools, those would be appreciated as well.

And a note to those complaining about the current tools.... See, it wasn't much (if any) better originally :)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 06:08:03 AM »

I'll get the code off first and tidy it up before any posting.

As for stories; there really aren't any outstanding ones other than the usual from back then. The biggest hurdle was the pig-english of the dev manuals (literal Japanese translations) and the lack of dev equipment/tools. I remember having to go down to a music shop and get the sheet music for Ride of the Valkyries then hand typing the numbers to represent the pitch and length of each note.

Of course the other issue was the fact that we were based in the UK and Accolade were in USA so any builds had to be sent by modem and took about 45 mins just for a single build. Most of the time the transfer failed as well.

Accolade did try to get us to do the C64 version of Gunboat as well because we had converted the code to 6502-like assembler. We had to point out that a cpu running at 1Mhz couldn't quite do the same as one running at 7.62...

This made me lol.   I picture you typing flight of the valkyries out, to the tune of flight of the valkyries.

Did you guys have any C stuff to work with at the time, or no?

Maybe we can rebuild Turrican so that you can actually aim UP.

It would blow everyone's minds. 
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Arjak

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 06:44:05 AM »
Wow, thank you for coming here! I'm sure that any materials you can show us would be greatly appreciated by the other members who are programming for the system. :D
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Punch

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 08:11:45 AM »
Does Gunboat has any sort of ending? I've unlocked all missions but no credits, no nothing. Do you remember if anything like that was programmed in the game?

esteban

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 10:21:55 AM »
Hi, I am a new member here but really joined because I did a couple of games on the pc engine for Accolade back in the mists of time.

I still have the floppies with the source code & was wondering if there might be any interest in making then available for download. Bear in mind that it was a long time ago and the source may not be best and up to modern standards (I haven't even looked at it yet...).

If there is an interest, can anyone point me to a resource that might be suitable to upload to so that it would be available to everyone. I was thinking of uploading the archive.org through Jason Scott but thought I would ask here first if there was somewhere better suited.
Thanks

PS the games in question are Gunboat and Turrican and the source is all in assembler. Not sure what the legalities are but I'm sure nobody really cares now..

Welcome, comrade.

Personally, I would love any little details you can remember about the development ...such as:

(1) how much time did you have? Were the deadlines realistic? Were the milestones delivered?

(2) how many people were involved, and what role(s)/responsibilities did each person have?

(3) what hardware did you use?

(4) any info on your resume/employment history you are comfortable sharing...for example, were you a salaried employee of company X or a freelancer for Turrican/Gunboat?

(5) do you remember any particularly challenging/annoying/duh! Moments.....

(6) what did you do immediately after Gunboat/Turrican? What are you doing now? Have you ever played the finished product?

(7) Did you watch Blake's 7? If you did, did you think it was corny? Or did you think it was fun show. I loved it, despite the corn.

(8) what do you love? What do you enjoy?

|    | 

westwood68

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 11:47:33 PM »
Does Gunboat has any sort of ending? I've unlocked all missions but no credits, no nothing. Do you remember if anything like that was programmed in the game?

Not that I remember. It was just a straight port from the PC and I'm sure that didn't either. Guess I'll see when I get the source off those old floppies.

I'm working away from home till this weekend so will try to read them in then.

westwood68

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 11:49:41 PM »

Did you guys have any C stuff to work with at the time, or no?

No there were no compilers back then. C wasn't really that big as I recall.

westwood68

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 12:11:57 AM »

(1) how much time did you have? Were the deadlines realistic? Were the milestones delivered?

As I recall, each project was 20 weeks and yes we did do it in time. But the end was always working 18 hour days to fix the bugs

(2) how many people were involved, and what role(s)/responsibilities did each person have?

Just two on each project. One for the coding and one for the graphics. We had a Producer at Accolade but he wasn't in the office obviously

(3) what hardware did you use?

We had the original PC engine dev system from NEC. It was a black box about 12" x 6 " x 4 ". Not this one:-
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?18738-Possible-PC-Engine-Devkit
That is a different one and released later.
Unfortunately is was only on loan so didn't get to keep it...

(4) any info on your resume/employment history you are comfortable sharing...for example, were you a salaried employee of company X or a freelancer for Turrican/Gunboat?

I was an employee/owner of the company Accolade contracted to do the conversions. We got the contract on the strength of our previous work for them.

(5) do you remember any particularly challenging/annoying/duh! Moments.....

Late nights fixing bugs and getting the character based screen of the PC to do 3D was a challenge; mainly because of lack of knowledge and experience. There is so much 3D around these days it would be much easier. And lack of video ram for the graphics of course. That was always an issue

(6) what did you do immediately after Gunboat/Turrican? What are you doing now? Have you ever played the finished product?

The producer who worked at Accolade left the company to go work for Sega then Sony so we got more work from them on Megadrive/Saturn/32x/PS1 and PS2. The company finally decided to close a few years ago after doing some stuff on PSP/PC and iPhone but by that time it wasn't fun anymore. Too many people and teams were too big. Plus some of the product the company did with the large teams was just plain shit because we couldn't get the right people.

As a day job I'm in business programming which means I earn twice as much for half the work but I do miss the gaming side. Still mess at home and will definitely be doing some indie stuff at some point whether for profit or not. It's one of the reasons why I wanted to drag out the old source code.

(7) Did you watch Blake's 7? If you did, did you think it was corny? Or did you think it was fun show. I loved it, despite the corn.
[/quote]

Never got into that really. Guess I was too busy stuck in the bedroom being unsociable & programming at that age.

(8) what do you love? What do you enjoy?

Same as most on this bit of the forum;Programming. That's why I started and that's why I'm still doing it.