Author Topic: This is where the Turbo dream began!  (Read 546 times)

YANDMAN

This is where the Turbo dream began!
« on: December 08, 2013, 08:01:29 PM »
Hello again

Those of you that read my first post here a few months back might recall how i first saw a Turbo advertised in a comic i was reading in 1990..........Well i happened to find that same comic and here it is for your viewing pleasure :)

It is just a comic but it makes me feel so nostalgic, I had not all that long had my NES at the time and seeing these pics blew my mind as vigilante was one of my favourite arcade games as a kid and i though what how is this possible what is this strange sounding machine the name Turbo-Grafx 16 did seem really odd to me as a kid like a powerful robot or something which is actually what it is.

whisper2053

Re: This is where the Turbo dream began!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 08:48:24 PM »
The power of nostalgia is strong with this one!

All seriousness, that's a pretty awesome walk down memory lane Yandman. I can only imagine the warm fuzzies you got opening that up again and seeing the self same ad once more that started you on the path to greatness :)

YANDMAN

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 09:38:49 PM »
yeah it really was special as it was in a box of other cool stuff from the time, I browsed through as i would of at the time and part way through there is a NES advert for fire shark which i wanted as soon as i saw that, Then when i reached the end i was like Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat i want this now whatever it is.

20 odd years later and i got my wish :)

420GOAT

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 04:11:20 AM »
i have that comic, was just showing my kid a couple of weeks ago. hahaha, he thinks Arkham is a city, and can not get his head around it being an Asylum started by the founder Dr Arkham. anyway, those were good times. the commercial that got me was the one with that dog that wigs out.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

YANDMAN

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 09:02:40 PM »
i have that comic, was just showing my kid a couple of weeks ago. hahaha, he thinks Arkham is a city, and can not get his head around it being an Asylum started by the founder Dr Arkham. anyway, those were good times. the commercial that got me was the one with that dog that wigs out.

Wow you have it too thats cool man, You mean the legendary axe commercial where the dog is drinking the milk or whatever?

420GOAT

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 03:58:46 AM »
yep, then he goes ape shit! the legendary axe scene is what convinced me! i remember thinking WOW, THOSE COLORS ARE SWEET!
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

esteban

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 08:17:03 AM »
Hello again

Those of you that read my first post here a few months back might recall how i first saw a Turbo advertised in a comic i was reading in 1990..........Well i happened to find that same comic and here it is for your viewing pleasure :)

It is just a comic but it makes me feel so nostalgic, I had not all that long had my NES at the time and seeing these pics blew my mind as vigilante was one of my favourite arcade games as a kid and i though what how is this possible what is this strange sounding machine the name Turbo-Grafx 16 did seem really odd to me as a kid like a powerful robot or something which is actually what it is.

Here's a scan of that ad (it was part of a larger, 4-page thingie in other mags):

http://archives.tg-16.com/EGM/EGM_1989_08_ad.pdf

For more advertisements:

http://archives.tg-16.com/magazine_database.htm?col=con&val=ad
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 11:12:37 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

YANDMAN

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 09:58:27 PM »
Thanks for that, some of the turbo advertising is sooooooooo cool i love it, Ahhhhhh the Turbo is so cool

Hello again

Here's a scan of that ad (it was part of a larger, 4-page thingie in other mags):

http://archives.tg-16.com/EGM/EGM_1989_08_ad.pdf

For more advertisements:

http://archives.tg-16.com/magazine_database.htm?col=con&val=ad

esteban

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 12:13:31 AM »
No problem. 

In the ad, Vigilante does look pretty badass. The screenshot could have been larger, IMO (to be more impressive), but it's still larger than the typical size found in ads/package art back on the day.
  |    | 

YANDMAN

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 12:55:56 AM »
It blew my mind back then, Pre internet and with no u.k release so no exposure in shops or stores seeing the system completely took me by surprise and captivated me from the first glance, It was like you've just got used to loving your Nintendo and then this appears and now you don't want your Nintendo ha ha

johnnykonami

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 10:17:47 AM »
For me, I was sold by television commercials and the kiosk set up at Toys 'R Us - Last boss of Legendary Axe and Valis II impressed me a lot at the time.  I got a TG-16 with Alien Crush (and included KC) of course for christmas the year it came out (89 or 90?) and 3 years later I would ogle over that special issue of Turboforce or whatever it was that was basically a huge brochure for the Turbo Duo.  I saved up my money all summer mowing lawns, and my Sister and Bro in law who knew I wanted it badly (they were 10 years older and didn't know about video games really) went out and bought it for me while I was in school.  Of course, they had accidentally bought me the FEKA CD which the guy at EB told them was probably what I wanted.  Of course they ran me back out there later for an exchange and to this day the Duo is still my favorite system!

I love Sega too, BTW.  Even have quite a few Sega CD titles in my collection!

Tatsujin

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 11:16:32 AM »
one of my first close encounters of the obey kind :D (sorry for the huge pic and german only..lol):

:D
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

YANDMAN

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 06:39:52 PM »
For me, I was sold by television commercials and the kiosk set up at Toys 'R Us - Last boss of Legendary Axe and Valis II impressed me a lot at the time.  I got a TG-16 with Alien Crush (and included KC) of course for christmas the year it came out (89 or 90?) and 3 years later I would ogle over that special issue of Turboforce or whatever it was that was basically a huge brochure for the Turbo Duo.  I saved up my money all summer mowing lawns, and my Sister and Bro in law who knew I wanted it badly (they were 10 years older and didn't know about video games really) went out and bought it for me while I was in school.  Of course, they had accidentally bought me the FEKA CD which the guy at EB told them was probably what I wanted.  Of course they ran me back out there later for an exchange and to this day the Duo is still my favorite system!

What was it like to own one at launch? It must of been magical i honestly cannot imagine what it would of been like to me as it really would of been the arcade at home had i gotten vigilante for the system and that would of been more excitement than my child hood body could handle, Its a shame with the way gaming has moved on that such special moments can no longer be experienced.

Wo and to get the Duo also thats really very cool.

YANDMAN

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 06:48:07 PM »
Tatsujin that's a really cool advert thanks for sharing, Old video game adverts and magazines in general are the best, Do any of you guys own any of those Turbo Grafx flyers that were around at launch?

I would love one of those.

johnnykonami

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 07:04:49 PM »

What was it like to own one at launch? It must of been magical i honestly cannot imagine what it would of been like to me as it really would of been the arcade at home had i gotten vigilante for the system and that would of been more excitement than my child hood body could handle, Its a shame with the way gaming has moved on that such special moments can no longer be experienced.

Wo and to get the Duo also thats really very cool.

It was pretty awesome!   My friends at the time were trying to tell me I made the wrong decision (everyone else had a SNES, a couple with Genesis) but I never regretted getting the TG-16 one bit.  After KC and Alien Crush, I got Bonk's Adventure, followed by R-Type I believe.  At some point down the road I got Splatterhouse and everybody was jealous then. :)  That was one major title for me, the other that comes to mind was Dragon's Curse.  I don't think I convinced anyone how astoundingly good that game was, but for me personally it was one of my favorites on the system.  In the end though, it was nice that we all got a pretty diverse gaming experience and got to enjoy the best of all the major consoles.