Author Topic: Bonk Returns! New Dungeon Explorer!  (Read 768 times)

motdelbuort

Bonk Returns! New Dungeon Explorer!
« on: April 18, 2006, 04:53:00 PM »
All the news available here:

http://etoychest.org

So Dungeon Explorer is coming to the 360 and PSP!

Bonk Returns is unfortunately is only a cell phone game, but at least it's new, and maybe a sign of things to come.

In other news, I'm getting a new cell phone.

Keranu

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 06:23:25 PM »
Great news! I can't wait to see the further news that comes out in the future.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

MotherGunner

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 06:26:57 PM »
Awesome!
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

GUTS

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 06:53:53 PM »
Random maps sounds shit though, I hate games with random levels.  It's just an excuse for not wanting to put the effort into creating unique dungeons.

motdelbuort

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 07:53:03 PM »
I guess this belongs on the new console development board.  :oops:

FM-77

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 12:19:44 AM »
This new Dungeon Explorer will be a flop. I've seen the future. Seriously though, take a look at the new Gauntlet game for PS2.  :lol:

motdelbuort

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 08:23:40 AM »
I've only played one of the current gen Gauntlets, and while it was okay, it was nothing to write home about. I'm hoping this will be more like Phantasy Star Online in a mostly "dark fantasy" setting. I'm looking forward to some nice fresh versions of the Dungeon Explorer music. The chip music in the first one is awesome. I can't remember the music in the second one, guess I'll have to play it again.

malducci

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 08:55:11 AM »
Seriously though, take a look at the new Gauntlet game for PS2.

I made the mistake of buying that piece of crap game :x I refuse to even look at its case. I just tell myself that I didn't spend $50 on the game, but got the game for free and just happen to loose the $50 that was in my pocket - makes me feel better.

esteban

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 12:42:05 PM »
Considering that I have no desire for a 360, the news about DE is bittersweet. I can't wait to see what it's like, but I won't be playing it until Xbox 720 and PS4 are on the shelves.

As for Bonk Returns... this is even more of tease! I want a new console game! I have tried playing some platformers on phones (i.e. Prince of Persia) and the interface just doesn't cut it. Strategy / puzzle games seem more conducive to cell phones, but I still hate the button layout.

I was hoping the new DE and Bonk games would be along the lines of Hudson's updates of Bonk, Star Soldier and Adventure Island on the Gamecube.
  |    | 

esteban

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 07:08:41 AM »
Well, to follow-up my own post (lame!), here is some promising info from the President of Hudson USA:
Speaking of Bonk, we know he’s making his reappearance on the cell phone very soon. The franchise has been dormant for some time – especially here in the US. Does Hudson have any future plans for Bonk?

We do. Bonk, we think, is a very well known character. NEC spent about $6 million to boost that character up, and I think it’s a preeminent and ever growing title. People love the character; he’s cute, he’s fun, the game is very colorful. Everyone is excited about the release of Bonk on cell phones and we plan to spread Bonk out to other platforms; he definitely has a place in Hudson’s future lineup. You’ll be seeing more and more of Bonk!
From here.

OK! A glimmer of hope. I won't hold my breadth, but this is good news...
  |    | 

motdelbuort

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 04:35:44 PM »
That site also has a video of Bonk's Return. The trailer is cute, but the game looks closer to NES graphics than TG 16. The way Hudson USA has been talking about the Bonk's Adventure Gamecube remake and using footage from it, you'd think they had actually released it  :roll:

I'd love to see a compilation of the Hudson remake series for international release the way Sega did with their budget remakes.

Black Tiger

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 12:59:52 PM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
Random maps sounds shit though, I hate games with random levels.  It's just an excuse for not wanting to put the effort into creating unique dungeons.

Random maps ruin games for me too, unless we're talking minor variation like in PSO.

I'm sure that a game with random dungeons could be done right, but I've yet to see one so far...
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 03:47:28 PM »
Random maps can bite me.

T2KFreeker

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 02:33:42 PM »
Hmm, I would love to say that I am happy to see that Dungeon Explorer is coming to the XBOX 360, but I'm not, just because I have no desire to buy new systems. I think that it is cool that it is cool that some of the older Turbo licenses are being resurected though. I would be stoked if a new Legendary Axe were announced though. If that were coming to the 360, I would really have to re-evaluate my current stand! :mrgreen:
END OF LINE.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2006, 01:24:51 PM »
They'll never do a 3rd Legendary Axe since the series itself doesn't exist in Japan.  There were 2 games, published by the same company, where in one, you had an axe, the other, you could "get" an axe, & the names of the games both had the work "legend" in them.  That's it.  The series is US only, kind of like how they almost named Super Star Soldier, Blazing Lazers 2.  But, maybe someday we'll see a new Legendary Axe anyways......that is, if I can get the guys to name it that......then again, if we can get away with using that name :?: