Author Topic: TurboRip v1.41: The PC Engine/TG-16 CDROM ISO/WAV/CUE Ripper [10/15/2016]!  (Read 12067 times)

Pcenginefx

TurboRip v1.00-The PC-Engine/TG-16 CD-ROM ISO/WAV/CUE Ripper
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2006, 01:56:08 PM »
NightWolve,

I'm going to start using this fairly soon, so will let you know how it goes.  Thank you so much for creating the app.
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

NightWolve

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2006, 08:58:50 AM »
Quote from: "rolins"
Thanks, NightWolve. I got your PM and that update you sent me works on Nexzr now. I still get that "unrecovered read error..." after track 2, but it still continues the rip the other tracks.

I spent the entire morning playing thru my ISO/WAV of Nexzr trying to find a hiccup, but so far I've found none.

Hm, you should've just seen the "Notice: Unreadable data sector(s) near postgap area were replaced with zeroes." I think you mean that message, right? Also, you might try setting the readretry to 99 with this extra parameter "/readretry=99" for this. If not, your CD/DVD device simply refuses to do it. You'll get the same unreadable sector problem with any CDRW software.

Quote from: "Pcenginefx"
NightWolve,

I'm going to start using this fairly soon, so will let you know how it goes.  Thank you so much for creating the app.

np

Pcenginefx

All links dead...
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 06:14:34 PM »
NightWolve,

All of the links/images are dead and I can't get to nick.serveblog.net.  It is about 10:15PM PST 7/10/06.
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

NightWolve

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2006, 09:20:08 AM »
The site should be back as of now... No-IP likes deleting your free DNS registrations if you don't log in from time to time, at least, that's how it should work. I did do that recently to prevent this, before I terminated my ISP like 2 weeks ago, but it appears deletion occured anyway... So, I noticed the problem and I restored my DNS registrations today from a computer at my old university. Alright, back to searching for an ISP.

P.S. Next version of TurboRip will have significant improvements.

+Multi-session support so as to correctly rip CD-EXTRA music audio discs.
+CD-TEXT support.
+Correct detection of Indexes (INDEX 00, 01, 02, etc.) which will increase compatibility with game discs from other systems (NeoGeo CD probably, if Squaresoft74 is correct). TurboRip is currently hardcoded with PREGAP 03:00 & PREGAP 02:00 for track type transitions which is based on the assumption of a PC-Engine/TG-16 disc. Of course, not all discs are gonna obey those transition rules, but it turns out you can correctly detect Indexes by reading the Q-subchannel information of a sector, to be technical. Anyway, this will make TurboRip more like CDRWIN with its subcode analysis feature. I can appreciate CloneCD a little more now with its separate ripping of all the subchannel data into a separate .sub file. It's a far better program for duplicating a disc.

Other than that, some minor bug fixes and the like such as the one discussed here plus some code optimizations. Anyway, later.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 01:41:00 AM by NightWolve »

nodtveidt

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2006, 09:42:31 AM »
NightWolve, let me know if you need a mirror for the program.

NightWolve

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2006, 07:17:18 PM »
No problem. Thanks. If you like, I'd prefer if you use the actual link cause I have a download counter going and I wanna have a handle on the userbase out there that's being created, etc. I just have to be careful and get online when I can from my friend's or university till I get another ISP.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2006, 01:55:57 PM »
OK, so I used Turborip to extract a game, and I have a question or two.

If I want to substitute the music tracks, what happens if they aren't the exact size of the originals when I go to write the disc? Will it just cut them off, or will it not burning correctly? If they are all longer, will it be OK as long as the total running time fits on the CD? If they have to be the exact size, how exact to they need to be? Can it be down to the second, or do I need to edit them to the exact frame/sample/whatever?

Also, the cue file doesn't seem like it has very much information in it. For all the audio tracks it just says, "INDEX 01 00:00:00". Is that normal? I see the .toc file is much more specific, but I'm pretty sure my CD software will ignore the .toc file.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Bonknuts

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2006, 03:08:21 PM »
Quote from: "SignOfZeta"
OK, so I used Turborip to extract a game, and I have a question or two.

If I want to substitute the music tracks, what happens if they aren't the exact size of the originals when I go to write the disc? Will it just cut them off, or will it not burning correctly? If they are all longer, will it be OK as long as the total running time fits on the CD? If they have to be the exact size, how exact to they need to be? Can it be down to the second, or do I need to edit them to the exact frame/sample/whatever?

Also, the cue file doesn't seem like it has very much information in it. For all the audio tracks it just says, "INDEX 01 00:00:00". Is that normal? I see the .toc file is much more specific, but I'm pretty sure my CD software will ignore the .toc file.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Check out Necstacy (http://necstasy.emunova.net) for a utility called TocFixer (check the 'news' section). This will resize the tracks to the proper size/length. So you can modify them or change the track to something entirely different - just make sure the replace track is close to the same length of the original track by 2 seconds or TocFixer will complain, etc. If you do some cool remixes, you should post a video them
on youtube.

As for the cue sheet - it should be fine.There shouldn't be any pre-gap for audio tracks that follow a previous audio track. You can mount the cue with Alcohol 120% or Daemon tools for use with emulators or burn it with Nero for use with your real system.

NightWolve

Re: TurboRip v1.00-The PC-Engine/TG-16 CD-ROM ISO/WAV/CUE Ripper
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2006, 05:19:03 AM »

For most PCE/TG-16 games, the wave file must be exactly the same size as the original. You can replace them with whatever you want, BUT, you must make sure they come out to be the same exact bytes in size as the original. If you don't, the game will have problems. Many programmers hardcoded sector offsets to be used when it comes time to play an audio track, so if any of the wave files change in size and you burn a new disc, every audio track will get a new sector offset. This is bad... If you reduced in size say the 3rd audio track, every track file thereafter will have a lower offset. So when the game attempts to play any of those tracks, they'll begin playing some time later within the track, and not at the beginning. You get the idea.

Now, there are games like Ys IV where the game code was written to always fetch the sector offset (or rather, the LBA) directly from the TOC of the disc. For those games, you can resize the wave files and will not have any problems. But I don't know how many of them there are.

So basically, for most games, the answer is that resizing the wave files will cause problems such as lip syncing issues, music not starting correctly, crashes even, etc. But, there are some games where you can get away with it, as I mentioned, like Ys IV. You'll have to run tests on the particular game you're working on to see if it'll work...

Also, as was already pointed out, you can use my TocFixer tool to enforce the correct wave sizes after you make your replacements (assuming the music you use was made to be about the same length as the original). You can get it from my site as well, here:

http://www.ysutopia.net/index.php?ind=downloads&op=entry_view&iden=4

Also, the cue file doesn't seem like it has very much information in it. For all the audio tracks it just says, "INDEX 01 00:00:00". Is that normal?

That's normal.

I see the .toc file is much more specific, but I'm pretty sure my CD software will ignore the .toc file.

The TOC file is in a format recognizable by the emulator PCEP for Sony's PSP system. That's mainly what you'll need it for (when using the /PCEP option), if not for TOC reference. If you're a casual gamer and not into any of the techy detail stuff, yeah, you can ignore it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 01:33:16 AM by NightWolve »

Squaresoft74

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 06:17:42 AM »
Check out Necstacy (http://necstasy.emunova.net)

It's NecstaSy !!  #-o  :wink:
As for the url it will soon change to http://www.necstasy.net so you can start updating your bookmarks / links.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2006, 02:50:25 PM »
OK, my little project turned out...really well, IMO.

Whole LoT of Metal~The Lords of Thunder Remix

Please seed, yadda yadda....

Bonknuts

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2006, 12:22:35 PM »
Check out Necstacy (http://necstasy.emunova.net)

It's NecstaSy !!  #-o  :wink:
As for the url it will soon change to http://www.necstasy.net so you can start updating your bookmarks / links.

Doh!

Cool, I'll update my links.

Oli_lar

Re: TurboRip v1.00: The PC-Engine/TG-16 CD-ROM ISO/WAV/CUE Ripper
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2007, 10:36:06 AM »
This is a great program - worked like a treat on this laptop. Wouldn't work on my other laptop though, although thats probably because it uses an external hard drive. Cheers!

NightWolve

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2009, 05:56:47 PM »
I haven't wanted to publicize this too much, but if you're on Vista and really want to run TurboRip, I released an early build that works for it.

http://www.ysutopia.net/forums/index.php?topic=69.msg3668#msg3668

You can find it attached to that post. Basically, if you're not on Vista, stick with the current version, but if you are and really would like to have a working copy, you can get that.

*waves to all*

Good to see this place still kicking!

Turbo D

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2009, 08:14:32 PM »
Thanks man, I grabbed a copy for my vista machine! 8)