Author Topic: (1/15/2014 - 1/21/2014) Game of the Week: Battle Royale  (Read 1176 times)

PunkicCyborg

Re: (1/15/2014 - 1/21/2014) Game of the Week: Battle Royale
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 02:25:20 PM »
Beat it with The Executioner
I started with mongo who has some nice fast attacks but he takes too long to knock out the enemies. Executioner is a little slower but takes one or two less hits to knock out opponents and he takes less damage.
My strategy was basically to lock opponent in a select+II lower kick loop over and over till they are down then throw them. This doesn't work very good for mongo and the mohawk guy though since they are too fast so what I'd then do is slam against the ropes to knock them down, then hammer them with a special which would knock them to a yellow band then all it takes is one or two more hits for them to go down.
When there is a lot of opponents on the later levels, best strategy is first to get to a safe spot, let the others knock their life down a bit and pick an open guy to pick on. Clear out the faster guys and leave the sumo guy and man eater since they are slow and easier to deal with last.
Don't ever get in between two opponents. Also be careful on later levels when you want to power up because you can only do it so many times. Save it for when you are getting locked between two guys and are at risk of getting KO'd. Otherwise just walk around for a bit till it goes back up to black
This was on the default first level setting tournament. There are 15 levels total.
My personal opinion is this game was total shit but I still had a little bit of fun. The button combos though are a pain in the ass and my right hand hurts from holding the controller funky have a finger on each of my 3 buttons on the ave 3 pad.
Sorry for the bad blurry pick.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

SamIAm

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 06:17:47 PM »
Hear ye, hear ye.

PunkicCyborg is awesome.

Now, to try it myself.

glazball

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 05:20:20 AM »
I'm not proud to admit that back in the N64 days, my roommates and I went through a wrestling phase.  As much as I hate wrestling, it was a blast to play against friends (who weren't big gamers otherwise).

I think Battle Royale requires a TurboTap and some friends to really be worthwhile.  I finally played it last night for about 2 hours and confirmed what I had thought: it's really a turd.  As a lover of all games, I like playing the turds along with the gems, so I did have some fun throwing fools over the ropes.  I enjoyed using Mongo Khan the most, but actually had better luck with the Sumo guy.

But really, there's not much of a game here for 1p.  The controls are poor, the graphics sub-par, and the characters are just goofy.  If I had 4 friends and extra controllers, there would be some fun to be had, but otherwise it's not going to get much more time in my system.  After about 2 hours, I'd had all I could stand and decided I'd much rather be playing Galaga 90 and Blazing Lazers!

(btw, I do love this Game of the Week idea for the fact that it will make me play the turds that I haven't given much time to!  You have to play the turds to appreciate the good ones, right?)
glazball's game collection and wantlist

TheClash603

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 04:46:22 PM »

I put 2 hours into Battle Royale tonight.  As was said earlier, reading the manual is a must!  All of the times I had played before this, I never really understood how to pick up someone and throw them out.  Also, I didn't realize Select was used to perform so many moves.

When I started tonight I used Spitfire Spike.  I only made it to the 3rd stage my first try.

Then I used Maneater.  I was roughly equally successful, making it to about the 3rd stage.

I switched then to Sumo.  I was able to make it to the 5th stage, where you fight 2 people.  After two trys, I only was able to make it to the 6th stage once with Sumo.

Next I tried out Executioner.  It wasn't long before I realized the Select + I + II attack (back-scratcher) was the best move in the game.  I was able to win the first 4 matches in 11-13 seconds each using this move.

Where the game is tricky for a novice is the 2 vs. 1 matches, until you come up with a strategy.  For the 2 vs 1 matches, the best strategy is to run away and try to get only one person next to you at a time.  You CANNOT win a fight with two people in close proximity.  If you run around the ring too much, your guy seems to slow down.  To make him fast again either use the Up + Select move, or stand still a little bit.  These matches are EASY if Sumo is one of the characters, because he is a lot slower than everyone else, so you can get separation really easily.

The 3 vs. 1 matches and the 4 vs 1 match are essentially the same principal, get separation and fight only one guy at a time.  This is trickier with more guys, but you will see the computer opponents accidentally fight each other more often in 3 vs. 1 and 4 vs. 1, which is when you can make your move to take someone out.  I do note, the 4 vs. 1 fight suffered TERRIBLE slowdown, as the TG16 couldn't handle everything going on.

At the end of the day, I was able to pretty much breeze through the Amateur fights.  After an hour of playing, I don't think I would pick this difficulty level again, it was WAAAAY too easy.  Thankfully, you go straight into the intermediate level after beating beginner and your score carries into the next fights.

Intermediate 1 vs 1 is still really easy, I made it through these fights no problem using the back-scratcher move with Executioner.  Once I made it to the 2 vs 1, then it got a bit harder.  The opponents on intermediate use their healing power more often.  Also, what makes intermediate much more difficult is once the opponents get low on health, they have a tendency to run away.

I was able to make it to the 13th stage, out of 15, before I finally was taken out.  I am fairly certain I could beat intermediate tournament next time I tried, but my hand was very tired after 2 hours of play.  I found rapidly trying to mash Select + I + II was getting harder, and I wasn't hitting all the buttons simultaneously with ease anymore.  So instead of back-scratcher, I was doing shitty punches and kicks.  I was a bit pissed, because I would like to have beat intermediate...  and I was only 2 stages away.  I wish I had an Avenue 3 pad, or that when I tried my Avenue 6 pad it would've worked.

In the end, I think this game is quite a bit better than I thought it was before.  The game gets a bad reputation because it looks incredibly simple, but that is because I don't think many people know there are so many moves available.  Unfortunately all of the best moves use the Select button, which makes controls awkward, but what else could they have done with a 2 button pad?  I actually think if you had 5 people playing that knew what they were doing, it could make the game quite a bit of fun.  Perhaps this is one to pull out at the next gaming festival, if there are 5 guys that want to put in a little practice beforehand.

On a 100 point scale, I'd give this game a 42.  I think my preconceived notion was a 15 or so, so I am glad I played a little more...  though it still is definitely not a great game by any means.

Now, can anyone beat my score of 17,330?

Punch

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 09:22:54 AM »
God this game is crap. Why did they design the game around a three button controller? Is this a port of another console or some european computer? Maybe this could be better with an Ave 3 controller but still.

Another bad aspect of the game is the cheap western art style. I'm pretty sure the girls were made by digitizing pictures of famous actresses and touching them up. I'm pretty sure I recognize the TV announcer from somewhere... they're the only good art pieces.

Also there isn't much strategy going on with the game even with the different characteristics of the 5 fighters and the different moves. Maybe playing it multiplayer with other 4 people who know what they're doing makes the game better and less shallow? The only redeemable portion of the game is the manager fight. Well thought out and adds character to the game, specially on real 5 player human matches. Overall, in my opinion this game could be a great addition to the turbo library if it had good art and polished gameplay.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 09:37:29 AM »
As soon as I got to the end screen I turned it off as fast as I could :D
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

TheClash603

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 10:42:20 AM »
As soon as I got to the end screen I turned it off as fast as I could :D

...but now the urge to beat my score is back?  I should add that to the high scores thread, only a masochist will dare try to beat me.

BTW - Is there an earlier sports game with instant replay?  I can't think of any, which would put that feature ahead of its time.

glazball

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 11:44:53 AM »
BTW - Is there an earlier sports game with instant replay?  I can't think of any, which would put that feature ahead of its time.

You know, that's a good point!  I'm the opposite of a sports game expert, though back then I did play a baseball game here or there.  Maybe Bases Loaded had an instant replay?  No clue, but hey you did find something redeeming about the game!

(I do have a feeling that a 5p game would be great for much hearty laughter, so bad it's good.  Afterwards you may have 4 less friends though...)
glazball's game collection and wantlist

csgx1

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 03:17:34 PM »
I can't seem to beat this game on intermediate tournament.  Got to round 13 and was gang raped.  Pretty hard to not get surrounded in the later rounds with more opponents.   

TheClash603

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 03:49:36 PM »
I can't seem to beat this game on intermediate tournament.  Got to round 13 and was gang raped.  Pretty hard to not get surrounded in the later rounds with more opponents.   

...but did you have 17,330 points?

I am going to give the intermediate tournament one more whirl this weekend.

FiftyQuid

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 04:19:07 PM »
Do you seriously not know about the ave 3 pad button mapping? n00b! :P Yeah i don't know how you or anyone plays with the "turbostick". I pretty much only use the ave 3 pad and shuttle pad
Yep, complete noob here.  Never had the opportunity to use, let alone see one.  I use the Turbo Stick for pretty much everything.  I like that it sits in my lap and the ball joystick is awesome.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

csgx1

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 07:37:45 AM »

...but did you have 17,330 points?

I am going to give the intermediate tournament one more whirl this weekend.

Nope, you're probably the reigning champ.  I didn't get close since I started on intermediate.  When I did start on amateur, I got to round 8 intermediate level with about $12k. 

I tried professional just for the heck of it, to see how difficult the computer is and it seems damn near impossible against multiple opponents. 

Overall, I wasn't expecting much out of this game, but it was surprisingly kinda fun for me.  It's a game that I would have never given a chance without the motivation here.  But I think I had enough of this game for awhile. :-&   

esteban

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 09:13:25 AM »
Dear lord, the week is already over and I wasn't able to play much. I read all the posts and I was pleasantly surprised that folks stuck with the game. 

|    | 

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 09:41:40 AM »
Dear lord, the week is already over and I wasn't able to play much. I read all the posts and I was pleasantly surprised that folks stuck with the game. 

Not devoting time to play yet you still subject us to play drop off? evil man

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2014, 03:35:24 PM »
Just realized I left my duo on for 6 days with Battle Royale running oops