Author Topic: (1/15/2014 - 1/21/2014) Game of the Week: Battle Royale  (Read 1174 times)

SamIAm

(1/15/2014 - 1/21/2014) Game of the Week: Battle Royale
« on: January 14, 2014, 10:07:52 PM »
Good people of the PCEFX forums, the time has come. Let the Games of the Week begin!!

---------------------------------------------------
January 15 - January 21: Battle Royale
---------------------------------------------------

(Chosen by TheClash603)

Let's all give it our best shot and talk about the experience here.

If you don't have it yourself, be sure to check out Bernie's scan of the manual. Starting on page four is some information you'll definitely want to have, especially on how to perform the special moves.
http://www.tg-16.com/contributors/bernie/Battle_Royale/Battle_Royale.pdf

I'll spare you all any wordy introductions. Just go play that mother.

-----------------------------------------------
GOTW Schedule:

January 15-21: Battle Royale (TheClash603)
January 22-28: Drop Off/Drop Rock (esteban)
January 29-February 4: Bonk's Adventure (roflmao)
February 5-11: Silent Debuggers (vestcoat)
February 12-18: Somer Assault (BigusSchmuck)
February 19-25: Splatterhouse (FiftyQuid)
February 25-March 5: Bloody Wolf (Jibbajaba)
March 5-11: The Lost Sunheart (Gogan)
March 12-18: Sapphire (BlueBMW)
March 19-25: Energy (PunkicCyborg)
March 26-April 1: Air Zonk (_joshuaTurbo)
April 2-8: OPEN!

Rules:
-All members are allowed one submission. When there are no further submissions, we will have a reset and everyone will be able to submit another game.
-Each game may only be submitted once.
-If you wish to retract your submission, please do so at least two weeks before your game is due. Your next submission will go to the back of the cue.
-Please don't submit games that have a high language barrier or will take too long to complete (particularly RPGs).
-Please don't submit games that are too expensive. Below $50 is best. Above $100 won't work.

(If you have any questions or comments about the GOTW system, please either PM me or post in the old thread)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:28:07 AM by SamIAm »

esteban

(1/15/2014 - 1/21/2014) Game of the Week: Battle Royale
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 11:59:54 PM »
Perhaps I never matured, because I am still amused by the "taunt" feature in this game. I wish more games, of all genres, had this feature. True, taunting  would rarely rise above being  "corny" or a "passing novelty that wears thin quickly"...but I can dream.

Also:

« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:02:41 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Punch

Re: (1/15/2014 - 1/21/2014) Game of the Week: Battle Royale
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 10:08:01 AM »
Can I submit a game? Let the 2nd April game be... VEIGUES TACTICAL GLADIATOR. Seriously, what an underrated game. Don't let my crappy high score be the only one in the Highscore thread :)

If my request is lame feel free to mock me and request its removal. I still think it is a (rough) gem though. Now to play osme BATTLE ROYALE.

SamIAm

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 01:47:35 PM »
It's Saturday morning here in Japan, and after a busy week at work, I sat down for a while with Battle Royale.

Reading the manual was essential. A couple of weeks ago I checked out the game briefly, and basically just wound up mashing buttons. Knowing how to use the special kick and how to throw your opponents out of the ring is essential, and restoring your power comes in handy, too.

It's a little weird that they have the SELECT button involved in so many moves, but what a perfect opportunity to break out the Avenue 3 pad. The difference is like night and day.

Mongo Kahn seems to be work well for me. Better than that sissy little Spitfire Spike. Which fighter do you think works the best?

After losing two matches, I have to admit, it was exhilarating to successfully clobber a guy, pick him up and toss him out of the ring.

The only thing that really bugged me was that sometimes your character won't turn around quickly when he's facing the wrong way. I think tapping the d-pad in the correct direction helps, but not always.

How many fights do you have to go through to beat the game?

TheClash603

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 06:31:47 PM »
I am getting pumped reading some Battle Royale talk...  I set aside some time on Sunday to really sit down with the game.  I never read the manual before and it seems like that is the only way to play.

esteban

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 01:28:38 AM »
YOU BASTARDS BETTER BE PLAYIN' BATTLE ROYALE. (Tats, I'm talking to you, specifically.)

|    | 

Flare65

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 07:28:55 AM »
My god this game sucks....  Good thing Electronics Boutique let you return opened games back in the day. I only played about 10 minutes of it before I returned it and have avoided it ever since.  I've always said there are great games for the TG16, but it sure has it's share of turds. This game is one of the biggest in the bowl.

A Black Falcon

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 08:35:00 AM »
Battle Royale is another one of th3e games that came with my TG16, and this is the worst one of the seven.  Yeah, I didn't like China Warrior too much, but at least there's some game there.  This game, though, is irredeemable.  I like the "control a manager and run over to choose a wrestler" starting bit, but it's pretty much pointless as this is just a single-match game and the managers aren't relevant after that selection bit.  It's a weird way of selecting characters.  Amusing, though.

Once you get into the game... yeah, it's bad.  The controls are confusing and require a manual or control list to understand.  Why does the most important move, throws (since you defeat people mostly by throwing them out of the ring) require a multiple-button-press combo that includes Select, I think?  Did the people who programmed this expect that people would have 3-button controllers or something?  And beyond that the gameplay is no good either.  I dislike wrestling in general so that doesn't help at all, but I can tell that even for a wrestling game this is bad.

FiftyQuid

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 12:15:51 PM »
It's a little weird that they have the SELECT button involved in so many moves, but what a perfect opportunity to break out the Avenue 3 pad. The difference is like night and day.
What?  How so?  I feel gimped on my two button TurboStick.  The SELECT button is even further away from the I and II buttons than on a TurboPad.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

SamIAm

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 12:24:19 PM »
What?  How so?  I feel gimped on my two button TurboStick.  The SELECT button is even further away from the I and II buttons than on a TurboPad.

The Avenue 3 Pad (or the Avenue Pad 3, I guess) lets you map either the start or the select button to a third button next to I and II.

Keith Courage

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 01:08:59 PM »
I always liked this game as a kid. Very fun when 4 friends came over for some gaming.

roflmao

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 01:43:51 PM »
I *love* that they included the manager fight. :) It adds character to the game. I'm hoping to spend some quality time with Battle Royale tomorrow or Monday.

csgx1

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 03:31:38 PM »
Just played this game for the first time.  Initially I thought this game was total crap.  However, after playing a good 30mins and getting familiar with the controls, the game is actually pretty fun.  I love side scrolling beat-em-ups and this game kind of resembles a basic beat-em-up. 

I've logged in a few hours now and easily beat the amateur tournament.  I get whooped on at the intermediate  level.  Does this game need to be beat on professional to get an ending?

Also, I've been using Mongo Kahn and now 2 year old son has been screaming "You Die!".  #-o

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 05:37:37 AM »
Just fired it up!! Played this one a bit a while ago but didn't try to beat it or anything. The sound quality is pretty bad. Lots of crackling and popping and no bass at all. Love the character designs though and artwork. Hopefully I can beat it!

Do you seriously not know about the ave 3 pad button mapping? n00b! :P Yeah i don't know how you or anyone plays with the "turbostick". I pretty much only use the ave 3 pad and shuttle pad

(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 07:11:32 AM »
Looks like you have to do tournament to get the ending. Thing I have a hard time with is picking up characters. I'll have them knocked down and most the time I cant pick them up unless I go down a little and at them at an angle while they have fallen. I watched a vid on yt and seems like the guy picked up enemies with no problem without having to do this.
Also my copy has some glitchy lines when transitioning screens like at the battle results screen.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint