Author Topic: Why FX?  (Read 447 times)

PC Gaijin

Why FX?
« on: April 20, 2006, 07:27:06 AM »
So why do you guys keep/collect PC-FX? This is something I ask myself periodically whenever I start whittling down my collection. Of all the systems I've owned, the FX is the most useless to me when it comes down to actually playing games. Even compared to flops like the Jaguar or 3DO, there are games that I really enjoy playing on those systems (T2K on Jag, Star Control II on 3DO), yet there isn't a single game I really, really like on FX.

Maybe it's because the FX appeals to the collecting bug in me. It's just such an oddball system when you get right down to it (c'mon, a system designed mostly for FMV anime games?). Also, it has a certain nostalgic appeal for me. I bought mine in 1998 when NCS was clearing them out. I had heard about them while I was in college, and being heavily into anime at the time the idea of an "anime game system" was intriguing. Of course, in school I didn't have wads of cash to throw around, so I never bought one. By '98 I was working though, so when NCS announced they were going to stop carrying them I figured I better grab one while I had the chance. First software purchases were the Anime Freaks, heh.

So why do you collect the PC-FX? I know Aaron actually enjoys playing his :wink:, but what about the rest of you?

bt

Why FX?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 07:55:52 AM »
Like Aaron, I do occasionally pull mine out and start playing with it.  Oh, yeah, and my PC-FX, I do it with *that* too.  Okay, enough silliness...

I got my FX pretty early on in its life cycle.  I knew that it was never going to have a US release, but I did hope that a lot of the series that I have come to like on the PCE would be carried on through the FX lineage.  The first few titles that I got were of the FMV variety... interesting, but not at all appealing to me (lack of a good knowledge of Japanese probably prevented me from having a better appreciation of not only what was going on, but what to do in some games).

Eventually some decent games did make it out (Chip Can Kick, Last Imperial Prince, Zeroigar) ... but certainly not enough to justify keeping the system.  In time, it just became part of my "PCE Collection" -- and as my PCE Collection got closer and closer to being complete, the PC-FX stuff became more and more a part of that.  So it all just kind of stuck together.

Kind of sad that only 62 games made it out for the system (and 12 demo/sample CDs that I have to go with it), and really under 10% have decent replay value for me.  Of course, the Anime Freak CDs are decent to look at every now and then, . ...

-bt

Keranu

Why FX?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 09:04:06 AM »
The fun thing about PC-FX is that it requires you to go hunting for new games to find and if you're lucky, there is actually a game that looks neat to you. For me, it isn't the most played console, but there are a few games I like for it but I keep my PC-FX anyways for collection purposes and hopefully future development purposes so we can get the better games :) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

KingDrool

Why FX?
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 12:23:07 PM »
I bought it simply because I'm a huge Turbo fan and wanted to see what NEC's 32-bit system was all about.  I agree that it's pretty much useless to me as a) I don't read a bit of Japanese and b) there are only 3-4 games that appeal to me.  I own two of them (Team Innocent and Battle Heat) and the other two are beyond what I'm willing to pay (Chip Chan Kick and Zeroigar).  I bought it more out of curiosity than practicality.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Nutribrain

Why FX?
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 03:52:59 AM »
I am, or better was, attracted by this system just because it's obscurity. Not much people care about that system, that makes it worth for me. Right now I have not every game released for it, but mostly all I want to buy for it. Just 2 missing, namely AnimeFreakFX Vol.5 (to own 1-6) and Makendo Z. I even don't understand Japanese so most of the games don't make sense for me gameplay-wise. But I enjoyed playing Zeroigar, Chip-Chap Kick, Rururi Ra Rura, Farland Story FX, Dragon Knight IV and more. Last Imperial Prince is a game that I own but haven't played. So I hope to play some FX in the future. But right now, I only play Starcraft and sometimes with my PCE. The other systems I have, I don't use at all right now. I even thought about selling my Neo Geo and Virtual Boy collection. But most of the time I think it'll be a great mistake. I sold my Neo Geo back in 1995 when I wanted to buy a new Power Mac. Some time later I discovered that it was a very great mistake to sell any of my videogames. So I swore that I would never sell any videogames anymore.

GUTS

Why FX?
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 07:42:59 AM »
I really, really liked Boundary Gate and Last Imperial Prince.  It's worth keeping the system just for the good times I had with those two games.  I still need to pick up a few games for it, but I'll be satisfied with a PCFX collection that is about 10 games total.

Plus there's the whole obscurity factor like Nutribrain said, it's just cool owning a system that most people have never even heard of.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
pcfx up in ya!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 01:35:09 PM »
well, being just an infant in the PC-FX scene.  I have managed to enjoy collecting for it so far.

I have Super Power League FX and Sparkling Feather.

Team Innocent and a few others on the way.

for me its kind of like the reason I payed booku cash on the ACD card, just to play a few fighting games, that actually play better on other systems.. (Art of Fighting - World Heroes)

Or why some people want the Super Grafx only for a few games.

I was actually sold on the system just from the reviews and game pix from this website, Aaron really sold me on the PCFX(no ass kissing) so I made it a mission to get one, and now I do.. And so far so good!!

Even if it may be short lived, the experience I will never forget!

TurboSage

jp

Why FX?
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 06:29:27 PM »
Well, I JUST got my PC-FX, don't even have any games yet (Zeroigar coming in the mail tomorrow, Battle Heat in a week, and I MIGHT have a deal for Chip Chan Kick).

I think the reason I opted to go with it over the Supergrafx or the recreation of my PC-Engine collection is because its so unique. Sure, I can't enjoy a majority of the games (something I hope to correct at SOME point in my life, I'd love to be able to read Japanese), but there's several games that provide a truly unique experience that cannot be found elsewhere (Battle Heat). Also, some of the games just look fun (Zenki, Chip Chan Kick, Zeroigar, etc.)

bawitback

Why FX?
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 09:53:01 AM »
Zenki-Fx looks really good. After reading an article in my Gamer's Republic (Issue 9) they describe it as 'one or two decent actions games for the system (PC-FX)' not sure if thats true or not, never the less, the game looks awesome.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
oh yeah
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 03:25:33 PM »
I just got a few games in the last month-  Team Innocent is ok, kinda interesting, but horrible controls.  But with Last Imperial Prince and Zenki-FX.  Damn, now I know why I went to such extremes to get this system.

Absolutely brilliant.  

TurboSage

ChipChanKick is fun too!!

SignOfZeta

Why FX?
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 02:47:09 PM »
I don't own an FX, but I'm sure I'll get one some day. Its really sad that its such a useless machine. The only games I've played on it that are any good at all (or even proper games for that matter) would be...Azukin Cha Cha...that's pretty much it.

It is one of the coolest looking TV game machines ever though, that's for sure, and the nostagia I have for the days of hanging out at Die Hard Game Club, and importing $90 titles from Japan is pretty strong, so I'm sure I'll give in someday. I'd rather have a $120 PC-FX with Yuna FX and Battle Heat than all the Xbox shit ever made, and that's the truth.

PC Gaijin

Why FX?
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 05:12:47 PM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
I really, really liked Boundary Gate and Last Imperial Prince.  

I never really gave Boundary Gate much of a chance. I got it because I liked the art style shown on the case, but once I got into the game...good lord, it would not have been impressive even as a PC Engine game. :? It did seem to be an old-school RPG without a lot of the excessive anime fruitiness of other FX games, but I never had time to get into it. I thought this was an FX exclusive, but recently I saw someone selling a Playstation version. :o

Has anyone ever played Lunatic Dawn? That looked like an interesting, non-anime RPG game.

KingDrool

Re: oh yeah
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 10:18:14 AM »
Quote from: "turbo_sage"
But with Last Imperial Prince and Zenki-FX.

Tell me a bit about Zenki.  What's it like?
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Whoom

Why FX?
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 12:22:02 AM »
Quote from: "PC Gaijin"
Quote from: "GUTS"
I really, really liked Boundary Gate and Last Imperial Prince.  

I never really gave Boundary Gate much of a chance. I got it because I liked the art style shown on the case, but once I got into the game...good lord, it would not have been impressive even as a PC Engine game. :? It did seem to be an old-school RPG without a lot of the excessive anime fruitiness of other FX games, but I never had time to get into it. I thought this was an FX exclusive, but recently I saw someone selling a Playstation version. :o

Has anyone ever played Lunatic Dawn? That looked like an interesting, non-anime RPG game.

Lunatic dawn is the game that i acually didn't enjoy that much and that was because of that it wasn't an anime style game.

The reason why I keep collecting PC-fx games is because of the exlusivity, with only about 100.000 units sold its nothing you see everyday in a store, I aslo collect because of all the anime games cause im really into anime at the time so the games are really fun to play. I had a Xbox 360 for not so long time ago but it was so dull with all the action games an not a single one anime RPG (or even japanese) cause grafphics isn't importand to me, the important thing to me is the gameplay and that the game should be fun, the 360 lacks of all these elements.

Since im not born (or ever been) in a english talking country my writing is a little bad so some of you may not understand what i meant but I did my best at least.