Author Topic: Will there ever be a TG16 price crash?  (Read 14295 times)

Mathius

Re: Will there ever be a TG16 price crash?
« Reply #465 on: June 07, 2017, 04:12:56 PM »
Whenever I go to GameXChange I look at the shelves and it's nothing but sports and throwaways, then a modest selection of good games under the glass with premium price tags.

Then every time I turn around, I see some asshat reseller with his smart phone comparing ebay prices to the shelf sitters, then walk up to the counter with a stack of games to buy. They generally don't even bother looking under the glass because those are already sold at premium.

At least I know who to blame as to why there's no local deals on hidden gems anymore. Nevermind the fact that the employees don't even know what Turbografx is and can't accept trade ins if it's not in the system. #-o
This is pretty much why I quit going to my local game shops. 
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

roflmao

« Reply #466 on: June 07, 2017, 05:06:24 PM »
I kinda hope that all these newer consoles that can emulate roms of old games (Polymega, Game Freak, Retron 5) will finally let people play the games they grew up with and not need to spend a fortune and bring the price down, but then I remember folks like PCE Works and I'm not so sure...

StarDust4Ever

« Reply #467 on: June 07, 2017, 08:02:20 PM »
I kinda hope that all these newer consoles that can emulate roms of old games (Polymega, Game Freak, Retron 5) will finally let people play the games they grew up with and not need to spend a fortune and bring the price down, but then I remember folks like PCE Works and I'm not so sure...
Last I checked, there was no massive price drop on Turbografx games after the Turbo Everdrive was released. Instead they shot up like a rocket.

Perhaps Turbochip price inflation fueled Everdrive sales, but the Everdrive did nothing to slow the trend. Nor did the recent Turbokon reprods. People who just want to play the games, ie Magical Chase, now have other option besides scoring an original game card, yet collectors continue to price themselves out of the market with no end in sight.

Surely noone takes a second mortgage on their home to own their personal holy grail???

xelement5x

« Reply #468 on: June 08, 2017, 06:27:38 AM »
Surely noone takes a second mortgage on their home to own their personal holy grail???

The people who do that kind of crap are the same ones posting it up for sale 3 weeks later, saying that they need to sell some stuff because of bills.  Honestly, the inability of some people to separate needs and wants and plan for the future constantly infuriates me and makes really wish there was some sort of basic real life finance classes (not just general Economics) required for high schoolers. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

SignOfZeta

« Reply #469 on: June 08, 2017, 08:35:15 AM »
Please. These shitheads don't have mortgages.

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #470 on: June 08, 2017, 08:57:50 AM »
I honestly dont get why people buy holy grails or super pricy games only to sell later at a higher price? Either theyre trying to make a quick buck or theyre a piece of shit.

I think theyre a piece of shit.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #471 on: June 08, 2017, 09:14:51 AM »
They are so deaf and dumb to what games actually are they they get all their thrills just from buying one. The more expensive, the more of a thrill. Once they have it...it's basically useless, so they do the only other thing they can that is fun, selling it.

This phenomenon exists in many many many forms of collecting. It's new to gaming because gaming is cheap and new, but it's very common with art or Ferraris.

esteban

« Reply #472 on: June 08, 2017, 10:36:02 AM »
Esty, I didn't know you worked for TTI!  :shock:

I never did.

Not in reality, that is.

:)
  |    | 

Mathius

« Reply #473 on: June 08, 2017, 01:00:08 PM »

I never did.

Not in reality, that is.

If that was a joke then it flew right over my head  :lol:

whooooosh
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

StarDust4Ever

« Reply #474 on: June 08, 2017, 07:55:00 PM »

I never did.

Not in reality, that is.

If that was a joke then it flew right over my head  :lol:

whooooosh
Perhaps he was under NDA and does not want to self-incriminate? Then again, if the company is disbanded, past NDA contracts are probably null and meaningless. Look at all these colorful stories from interviews with past Atari execs.

lukester

« Reply #475 on: June 09, 2017, 01:39:34 AM »
i just don't see the prices going down, if some of the rumors about resellers destroying copies of games to raise prices and stuff turns out to be true, anyways.
Is there evidence for this? Most gaming examples I have heard of destroying merch was corporate directives, and a few examples in other hobbies. I can see tossing worthless crap like 90s baseball cards, but not valuable games.

Some stores threw out neo geo aes games because barely anyone could afford them

StarDust4Ever

« Reply #476 on: June 09, 2017, 05:49:52 AM »
Some stores threw out neo geo aes games because barely anyone could afford them
I never understood the corporate climate of destroy merch rather than clearance it. Donate if you must. Is it for tax incentives? Closeout/clearance sales net you more profit than outright destruction of goods, which AFAIK is zero.

I mean look at Walmart and Best Buy have bargain DVD bins. Then stores like Big Lots sell closeout merch from other stores for cheap. Department stores clearance seasonal merch. I've bought $60 shirts for $3 in March because they were long sleeved. Sat in the closet for six months but I got good usage of those clothes.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 05:53:11 AM by StarDust4Ever »

GoldenWheels

« Reply #477 on: June 09, 2017, 07:31:01 AM »
I never understood the corporate climate of destroy merch rather than clearance it. Donate if you must. Is it for tax incentives? Closeout/clearance sales net you more profit than outright destruction of goods, which AFAIK is zero.

I mean look at Walmart and Best Buy have bargain DVD bins. Then stores like Big Lots sell closeout merch from other stores for cheap. Department stores clearance seasonal merch. I've bought $60 shirts for $3 in March because they were long sleeved. Sat in the closet for six months but I got good usage of those clothes.

At a certain point cheap goods can bring back less than the value of the work required to fill the order. At least, that's how it is in mail order for some things. Somebody has to pick, pack, and ship those clearance items. Costs money!

In the book industry, eventually stuff just gets pulped.

Gentlegamer

« Reply #478 on: June 09, 2017, 07:38:27 AM »
Merchandise is also destroyed to prevent fraudulent returns.

DarkKobold

« Reply #479 on: June 09, 2017, 10:05:06 AM »

Except, you still have to wait for clearance items to sell. So long as your inventory is greater than zero, you can't write off that inventory as a loss. So, even if you mark things down to $1, and they don't sell, you can't claim the loss yet, even if the cost of production was $10. If you want to have your business not pay taxes when realistically, it shouldn't, you need to rid yourself of that inventory. Sometimes, they do that by selling at extreme discounts to places like Big Lots. If that doesn't work, your only legal option is to physical destroy it. It isn't so much corporate culture as it is just tax law.
Hey, you.