Author Topic: Will there ever be a TG16 price crash?  (Read 14302 times)

Otaking

Will there ever be a TG16 price crash?
« on: February 21, 2014, 05:16:05 AM »
The general price of US TG16 games seems to have constantly been going up and up as the years go by.
Do you think the prices will keep going up indefinitely or the prices will stop increasing and plateau or even possibly dip and have a price crash?   
Say for example if the market gets flooded with high quality repros of the more expensive games this I think could cause a price crash.
 :D

munchiaz

Re: Will there ever be a TG16 price crash?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 05:37:07 AM »
I dont think there will be a price crash anytime soon. In fact, I think prices are going to continue to rise. With more and more people interested in classic games, and more people holding onto games, its going to be much harder to find certain titles. People will take advantage of this, and collectards will pay high prices to get these games.

RoyVegas

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 05:39:16 AM »
I'm pretty sure the Neo-Geo guys are asking the same thing.  Turbo stuff likes to fluctuate a shitload but I don't see prices crashing any time soon.  I think the influx is from buyers that had it as a kid wanting it back but also retro collectors are on the rise.  Finally when we get a little older we tend to have more disposable income and being willing to pay more for things we want.

IF there ever is a crash, it won't be until all of us that had Turbos as a kid finally die and IF our families dump our collections. Or maybe by that time, they'll be considered antiques to have physical media and keep continuing to rise in price.  Strange but possible.
All is well. :)

KingDrool

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 05:44:21 AM »
I hoped there would be one during the last console generation when TG16/PCE games started appearing on the Virtual Console and PSN. Nope.

I don't think there'll be a crash, but I do hope at some point it'll at least plateau and maybe dip a little bit.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

DarkKobold

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 05:47:34 AM »
I don't think you'll ever see a crash, as values aren't really inflated. Prices spiked in August of 2012 when a few insta-collectors went crazy. However,  if you follow TG16 prices, some of the mid-level rares aren't pulling what they were even a year ago. A crash suggests a total fallout, but I think a softening, i.e. slow decline, is more likely.

I think what is happening with Atari 2600 is what will happen with most every video game collection - the mid-range uncommon to rares will continue to soften in price, while the top tier rares will grow astronomically. This happens as fewer people collect, but the die-hards that stick around get ever increasing wallet sizes, and the ability to spend oodles of money on a "collecting trophy." Magical Chase might seem insane at $5k, but it would take 400 copies of Magical Chase to own a single graded copy of Action Comics #1.
Hey, you.

Otaking

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 06:09:21 AM »
IF there ever is a crash, it won't be until all of us that had Turbos as a kid finally die and IF our families dump our collections. Or maybe by that time, they'll be considered antiques to have physical media and keep continuing to rise in price.  Strange but possible.
I think if we look that far ahead like 50-60 years by then 3D printers should have become so advanced you will be able to print clones of the games.

glazball

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 08:47:36 AM »
I've found old threads on the Neo Geo forums from 10 years ago where ppl were saying the bubble will burst, and of course we've seen that didn't happen.

I've wondered about this myself though.  In the upcoming years, as we die off we'll see rarer titles from collections pop up, but are people 50-70 years from now going to even WANT expensive physical media?  Kids nowadays have everything digital, and I just have a feeling the demand won't last.  If they have no memories or nostalgia for an old system like the TG, would they really seek out Bravoman and Timeball?

DK mentioned Atari 2600 and I think prices will plateau eventually.  Kids these days who think N64 is retro want nothing to do with Atari carts.  I have a feeling it will eventually level out like most 2600 cart prices have (excluding mega-rares).
glazball's game collection and wantlist

Miracle_Warrior

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 10:54:43 AM »
I have thought about this quite a bit, and good games will always be valuable.  When the younger generation start to develop hobbies, those that get in to collecting video games or video games in general will want to own physical copies of great games, games with historic significance or interesting stories.  It's my belief that the "rare" crappy games will get no love from the next generation. 

xelement5x

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 02:09:01 PM »
I think Atari 2600 prices can be kind of a baseline, but the problem is a lot of Atari stuff is SO simple it's hard to enjoy as much nowadays.  The leap from Atari to NES is huge in not only graphics but also in the variety of playstyles and mechanics that evolved. 

What I'm essentially saying is, even some of the best Atari games can be a chore to play at times, but a lot of NES and SMS games (even if they're less than stellar) have concepts and mechanics that are still pretty timeless.  This makes me think 8-bit stuff forward will hold it's own much better that Atari aged stuff based on gameplay value alone.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

technozombie

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 05:38:40 PM »
I agree that games from the 8bit and especially 16bit era have much more lasting appeal than the Atari 2600.  Disney games, for example, actually look like their characters.

Mzo

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 06:01:33 PM »
Right now there's a big spotlight on all things video games.  It'll move on.

Truly rare stuff will increase in value as time goes on; there's no helping that.  The common stuff will fall.

In 10 years the few people who love video games will still want that rare game.  The millions of fly-by-night, me-too insta-collectors will no longer give a shit about SMB3, and its price will plummet.

Tatsujin

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 06:39:24 PM »
the titles I still need to complete my PCE collection are expensive since decades..lol. just hope that they don't go significantly up any more.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

schweaty

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 05:44:11 AM »
Probably not soon, but I can see prices coming down after 5-10 years from now.  The people buying this stuff now mostly had it when they were young.  Eventually those guys are going to get old enough that they will stop.  I am mostly using the atari 2600 as a model for this.  It was pretty hot a little over 10 years ago, but now its the cheapest thing out there.  I realize there were and still are tons more atari stuff out there and supply is half the price equation

however, if retro collecting continous to grow and get really popular, there could be major inflation.  I know it can seem like a saturated hobby to those of us that really follow it, but in reality its still pretty niche. TG stuff is pretty rare compared to nintendo and sega. 

DarkKobold

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 09:17:56 AM »
Right now there's a big spotlight on all things video games.  It'll move on.

Truly rare stuff will increase in value as time goes on; there's no helping that.  The common stuff will fall.

In 10 years the few people who love video games will still want that rare game.  The millions of fly-by-night, me-too insta-collectors will no longer give a shit about SMB3, and its price will plummet.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. However, I think games with mass appeal will maintain some value. SMB 1-3, Punchout, Contra, Super Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, things of that ilk will not lose value until most of us are dead. Any child of the 80s to 00s will remember these games fondly, and at some point will want a copy to share with family, grandkids, and whoever.

That said, some of the hyped-up rares, like Hagane, Little Samson, or Flinstones: Surprise at Dino Peak have appeal to only hardcore or insta-collectors. These games are far more common than people let on, and once the market goes away, their prices will crash. Collecting-hysteria is the only reason these prices remain high.

TG16 is a harder situation to understand. There are probably a few reasons to start getting into TG16 later in life. My thinking is that it has wider appeal to the elitist collector - which can and sometimes is the same as an insta-collector. Which raises the question, are the prices on midlevel rares just hype? Games such as Soldier Blade, Neutopia II, Jackie Chan, Air Zonk, and etc, seem in line for the current level of demand. My question is, how much of that is just the insta-collectors branching out into TG16 to increase the obscurity of their collection, and how much of it is actual low-supply side economics? Its hard to tell what TG16 demand will be like in the future. I'm just happy my collection is mostly where I want it.
Hey, you.

Punch

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 11:14:59 AM »
I think it will eventually die out, except for a few games which are in a point of no return (hi magical chase).
Will our hucards work in 20 years? Natural deterioration might cause a crash in the market since no one will want to spend money on something that has its days counted.

but... In the year 3000, anything without photo real stereoscopic neural interface w/ 5 sense feedback + wireless fleshlight will seem no different than custar's revenge.

Turbofapix-4096?