Author Topic: Uh, who likes the N64?  (Read 2539 times)

xelement5x

Re: Uh, who likes the N64?
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2014, 09:53:15 AM »
There are a lot of cool N64 exclusives that make it worth picking up and playing around with, but it's hardly the one that gets the most playtime for me. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2014, 10:03:32 AM »
I like the N64, of the Nintendo consoles it's probably my least favorite (leaving the Wii U out as it's life is still in the early stages). But there's a lot of great games on it, almost entirely 1st party or 1.5 party games, but some fantastic stuff on the system. Some of my favorites are Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Kazooie, and Majora's Mask.
--DragonmasterDan

lukester

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2014, 10:17:34 AM »
I like the N64, of the Nintendo consoles it's probably my least favorite (leaving the Wii U out as it's life is still in the early stages). But there's a lot of great games on it, almost entirely 1st party or 1.5 party games, but some fantastic stuff on the system. Some of my favorites are Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Kazooie, and Majora's Mask.

Doom 64 is a really, really awesome 3rd party game. Like the other Dooms, but way scarier. I'm on level 22 right now.

I did need a guide to find the 3 secret levels (they have demon artifacts that power up the Unmaker, a weapon that is almost critical for defeating in the final boss).

Ridge Racer 64 is a game that no one gives attention to, but it plays great and looks awesome. Nintendo had a hand in making it, though.

munchiaz

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2014, 10:21:27 AM »
i got the N64 when it first came out, and i enjoyed it alot. But once i got a playstation, it quickly over shadowed my N64, and i feel the psone is what really made me a gamer. I have fond memories of the N64, and there are some games i really love (fighters destiny) But its def not one of my fav consoles

hoobs88

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2014, 12:42:40 PM »
It is definitely my least favorite of all of Nintendo's consoles. I only own 5 games for it and will probably never play it again.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2014, 12:43:08 PM »
I like about 10 games on it, and that is it.

The controller is a giant pile of shit though.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

GohanX

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2014, 02:35:22 PM »
I can't say that I love the system overall, but it does have a few of my favorite games ever, such as Starfox 64.

LS650

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2014, 04:50:15 PM »
I actually quite liked the N64, but that's because it was strong in two genres I enjoy: racing and 1st person shooters.

In some genres that I don't like, such as sports or RPGs, the N64 was very weak.

The N64 is built like a freaking tank, and I still see lots of them in local pawn shops and such.

HailingTheThings

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2014, 06:59:06 PM »
I like about 10 games on it, and that is it.

The controller is a giant pile of shit though.

So true. Still can't play that thing without a third party controller that almost resembles something usable.

TR0N

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2014, 08:53:50 PM »
Disappointed at least what i think of the N64 id rather play the gamecube over it.Beside it being a cursed console the N64 is what drove away third party support  :twisted:

I never really thought about this, but you are right that Nintendo's struggles in later generations can really be attributed to the N64's decision to stick with cartridges.  Once these developers were scared away in the N64 era by the cost of cartridges and publishing on the system, they never went back when Nintendo righted that mistake.
That's the thing,by the time they switched to discs starting with the gc it was to late.Now nintendo really struggles to have support by the third parties.If only they hadn't stuck with cartridges with the N64 to begin with.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2014, 02:51:43 AM »
Saturn and PSone completely destroy the N64 IMO.

I chose N64 that generation and regretted it. There were some cool games for sure, but I really wanted rpgs and got ~0.

^Same, while I still had the Saturn and loved it, my second choice was to go with Nintendo as they've never wronged me before... Boy, was I disappoint.

Disappointed at least what i think of the N64 id rather play the gamecube over it.Beside it being a cursed console the N64 is what drove away third party support  :twisted:

I never really thought about this, but you are right that Nintendo's struggles in later generations can really be attributed to the N64's decision to stick with cartridges.  Once these developers were scared away in the N64 era by the cost of cartridges and publishing on the system, they never went back when Nintendo righted that mistake.
Just an example,  we still haven't had a proper next gen Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo console! Not counting the gba/ds remakes of course. 

I totally agree, however I do love Crystal Chronicles on the GC.  :)

jeffhlewis

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2014, 02:57:43 AM »
I jumped ship to N64 that generation and after playing out Mario 64 and Waverace, regretted it (since everything I wanted to play at the time was on PS1).

I picked up about 8 N64 games before buying a PS1, and subsequently a Dreamcast. Played the hell out of Starfox 64, Mario 64, Waverace and KI Gold.

I think I'm the only person on earth who just did not see the big deal with Ocarina of Time. It was boring, especially compared to what was on the PS1 around that time.

lukester

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2014, 06:44:23 AM »
I jumped ship to N64 that generation and after playing out Mario 64 and Waverace, regretted it (since everything I wanted to play at the time was on PS1).

I picked up about 8 N64 games before buying a PS1, and subsequently a Dreamcast. Played the hell out of Starfox 64, Mario 64, Waverace and KI Gold.

I think I'm the only person on earth who just did not see the big deal with Ocarina of Time. It was boring, especially compared to what was on the PS1 around that time.

The over world is meh, yes. The dungeons have much quality and are in quantity though

Miracle_Warrior

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2014, 07:46:52 AM »
I always really enjoyed the Wrestling games and Ocarina of Time on the N64, but other than those titles, the console was pretty forgettable for me. 

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2014, 07:53:03 AM »

I agree with you on that. My son likes it a lot however.