Author Topic: "Archival Disc" - The next generation of optical discs from Sony and Panasonic  (Read 338 times)

xelement5x

Sounds like physical media's swan song will not be the blu-ray, there is a new optical media disc in the works!

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201403/14-0310E/

From the article:
Tokyo, Japan - March 10, 2014 - Sony Corporation ("Sony") and Panasonic Corporation ("Panasonic") today announced that they have formulated "Archival Disc", a new standard for professional-use, next-generation optical discs, with the objective of expanding the market for long-term digital data storage*.

Optical discs have excellent properties to protect themselves against the environment, such as dust-resistance and water-resistance, and can also withstand changes in temperature and humidity when stored. They also allow inter-generational compatibility between different formats, ensuring that data can continue to be read even as formats evolve. This makes them robust media for long-term storage of content. Recognizing that optical discs will need to accommodate much larger volumes of storage going forward, particularly given the anticipated future growth in the archive market, Sony and Panasonic have been engaged in the joint development of a standard for professional-use next-generation optical discs.

Both Sony and Panasonic aim to launch systems with a recording capacity of 300 GB per disc from summer 2015, onwards. In addition, both companies plan to leverage their respective technologies to further expand the recording capacity per disc to 500 GB and 1 TB.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Recordable media won't go away any time soon...... for business data backup use.  Consumer level use for movies/games/etc. are a different story.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

synbiosfan

Recordable media won't go away any time soon...... for business data backup use.  Consumer level use for movies/games/etc. are a different story.

Consumer use may lessen but people will always want a hard copy of their pics, home movies, etc. Eventually one of these sites like FaceBook, Photobucket, whatever you can think of, will have an accident, natural disaster, hackers, new laws, etc. erase so many memories.

Punch

It's so sad that they are considering their new media an "Archival" disc. RIP physical media.

DragonmasterDan

Well considering Sony's excellent track record of starting physical media storage formats with Betamax, Minidisc and UMD movies taking the world by storm I think we're in for an exciting future....
--DragonmasterDan

vestcoat

Does this mean I have to replace my zip discs? Will archival drives be scsi or serial?

geise

Answer: IDE

TheClash603

Well considering Sony's excellent track record of starting physical media storage formats with Betamax, Minidisc and UMD movies taking the world by storm I think we're in for an exciting future....

In fairness, Sony did a really do a good job of pushing DVD and Blu-ray, which they co-developed.

Obviously the PS2 and PS3 were the dominant forces in this push and "Archival Disc" won't be featured in a game console that will be adopted by millions.

Punch

The CD-ROM Audio Compact Disc too don't forget it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 05:00:44 AM by Punch »

xelement5x

The CD-ROM too don't forget it.

Yeah, wasn't Panasonic the company that developed the CD-ROM in the first place?
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
it was Philips and Sony for Audio CD, I've got no idea if the same applies to CD-ROM. Panasonic was one of the few companies supporting DVD-RAM (no typo).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 07:40:59 PM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

xelement5x

it was Philips and Sony for Audio CD, I've got no idea if the same applies to CD-ROM. Panasonic was one of the few companies supporting DVD-RAM (no typo).

Ahh, good catch.  I always mix those two companies up for some reason.  Just like World Market and Whole Foods.