Author Topic: Fixing a CoreGrafx  (Read 436 times)

ZARk

Fixing a CoreGrafx
« on: May 14, 2014, 10:25:24 PM »
Hello

So i got a little lucky, and scored a PCEngine bundle for 50€.
It came "as is" (view attachement)

Anyway, got an SMS, so hooked the psu and AV out cable to the coregrafx, but unfortunately, no sound or picture.

Opened, inspected, all looks good, pcb ain't cracked, soldering looks alright. Looking around i managed to find the pin-out for the expansion port, and TADA (view attachement) sound & video :)

I looked at the pin-out for both the SMS AV cable and Din5 CoreGrafx AV out and they match enough, so i should get something out of it.

My Questions :

* Is there a known issue with the AV Out on the coregrafx ? Or should i just get/make a correct cable ?
* Controllers ... Where can i get one ? Any known convertors ? (Nes -> pcE ? )
* How would i hook that cdrom2 unit to my coregrafx ?

Ray

Re: Fixing a CoreGrafx
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 01:29:22 AM »
Welcome! That's a very nice bundle for 50€! :clap:

As for the CD-ROM2 unit, you will need an Interface Unit(IFU-30) to hook them up. Loose ones aren't too expensive. If you cannot get your AV issue fixed, the Interface Unit can temporarily substitute the DIN-5 as it has generic RCA outputs. If you want to run CD games on it in the future, get yourself a Japanese Super System Card, or Arcade Card Pro if you want to access the 12 Arcade CD games.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 01:38:53 AM by Ray »

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 05:16:33 AM »

Such nonsense...Nintendos need not apply.

Since you're overseas it seems, I cannot offer any local places to get PCE or Duo pads. I have not kept up on pricing, but I do not recall them being hens' teeth stateside, so it'll just be the shipping that will drive the costs up for you.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

ZARk

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 05:50:19 AM »

Such nonsense...Nintendos need not apply.

Since you're overseas it seems, I cannot offer any local places to get PCE or Duo pads. I have not kept up on pricing, but I do not recall them being hens' teeth stateside, so it'll just be the shipping that will drive the costs up for you.

Indeed, am in Belgium, Europe.
Well i'm finding controllers something around 25€ with easily 15€ for shipping and possibly import duties ...
And having pretty much a whole bag filled with old nes controllers, was tempted to ask :)
I found the pin-out for the pcE, maybe i'll make my own adapter. (At least in the meantime while i find a controller and it gets here)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 06:27:54 AM »

No simple converter cables, but they can be modded to work on PCE.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ZARk

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 04:51:32 AM »
For playing Arcade CDs on a Coregrafx with CD-ROM2, you need the Arcade Card Pro.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

turbokon

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 04:52:44 AM »
Test for continuity from pcb to the end of the a/v cable.  Try resoldeing the pins of the din 5 to the pcb on the coregrafx.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 04:15:08 AM »

Is this the super system card needed to play the 12 arcade cds ?

http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/NEC-Super-System-Card-CD-ROM2-System-Ver-3-0-PC-Engine-CD-ROM-JP-Jap-1749-/151275420544?pt=FR_Jeux_Vid%C3%A9o&hash=item2338b7bb80#shpCntId

Like Clod said, you need an Arcade Card Pro for Arcade CDs; the card linked is a Super System Card, used to play the 300+ Super CD games.  Both cards are backwards compatible - SCD card lets you play most regular CDs too, and ACP lets you play most everything.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

wildfruit

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 02:28:24 PM »
You could make an offer on this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201092655771?redirect=mobile
No import charges as is in EU
I do not know the seller and hold no liability for any rubbishness encountered!
Bon chance!

ZARk

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 07:15:25 AM »
Thanks a lot for the valuable information.

I found a controller on ebay in Japan along with a couple of famicom games to "lower" shipping costs.
(xevious,goonies1 and super xevious i think).

This week i'll try to get some time to check on that Din-5 , i've ordered a proper pcEngine AV Out cable (instead of using the SMS cable, which *should* work). At least i'll be able to reduce the possible errors :)

megatron-uk

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 08:06:06 AM »
As you're in the EU (I'm guessing, from your use of Euro currency), you'll have access to tv and monitor displays with SCART connections. I would strongly reccommend an RGB conversion for your new PC-Engine - it will blow the quality of the composite signal out of the water.

ZARk

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 08:10:24 AM »
As you're in the EU (I'm guessing, from your use of Euro currency), you'll have access to tv and monitor displays with SCART connections. I would strongly reccommend an RGB conversion for your new PC-Engine - it will blow the quality of the composite signal out of the water.

Well i've got access to anything i need :) SCART or COMPONENT or RGB or whatever, ain't an issue :)

Well i'd first like to get it up and running correctly before modding it :)
But indeed rgb blows things out of the water :)
I've got most of my consoles working in rgb ;) 
except my NES and FAMICOM, the nesrgb module just got back in stock, so that's priority in my list :)

But to get back to the thread, i've ordered a proper cable from consolegoods.co.uk, waiting for that to arrive to start fixing the din-5 socket.