Author Topic: That movie you just watched  (Read 17134 times)

esteban

Re: That movie you just watched
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2014, 01:49:22 PM »

Finally rented the new RoboCop movie.  In the words of Wesley Willis it sucked a cheetah's dick with worcestershire sauce.

All of the remakes they've been doing of my favorite late 80's early 90's flicks just don't compare.  CGI is my enemy.

I know folks will think we are just being cranky, but I hate gratuitous CGI in live action films. I love when CGI can't be identified because it is so subtle.
  |    | 

MrFulci

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2014, 03:14:45 PM »

Finally rented the new RoboCop movie.  In the words of Wesley Willis it sucked a cheetah's dick with worcestershire sauce.

All of the remakes they've been doing of my favorite late 80's early 90's flicks just don't compare.  CGI is my enemy.

I know folks will think we are just being cranky, but I hate gratuitous CGI in live action films. I love when CGI can't be identified because it is so subtle.

Yars ago, CGI was used for things that couldn't be done with practical effects, or would have been really cost prohibitive to do with practical effects. Over the years, it has become a way to do everything. Such as CGI blood splatter.

What always loses me with CGI, is that it looks too, "Fake". I prefer the fakeness of miniatures and such, to CGI, which ahs a cartoonish look.

In some movies the cartoonish look works, others, not so much.

It does say something, that some of the work in Jurassic Parks looks better than some of the CGI I've seen in the 20+ years after that movie was released.

It's just like how over the past 10 years, most movies are mostly using the colors blue and orange, because they are complimentary colors. There are many sites out there with information on this practice, here is one of them - http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com/2010/03/teal-and-orange-hollywood-please-stop.html

Movies are getting lazier with the use of CGI, coloring, etc.

However, I have heard from some people that they like the blue/orange color palette, and also they like CGI. Mostly younger people, who feel any movie from the 90's is really old, and have not known a world without CGI in films :)

"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

jtucci31

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2014, 03:41:42 PM »
Yeah that movie was....interesting to say the least. I assume you're all referring to that very weird rape scene..

jtucci31

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2014, 03:55:45 PM »

Yeah that movie was....interesting to say the least. I assume you're all referring to that very weird rape scene..

I don't even recall any rape scenes. Lol... if there aren't any tentacles then it usually doesn't leave an impression. I was referring more to the deep dark place that poor Dwight Shrute found himself in.  Some aspects of his situation and the dialog hit a bit close to home at times.

I definitely remember some kind of weird sexual scene involving the both of them. But yeah that movie was definitely dark. I don't remember it being too bad though

jtucci31

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2014, 04:01:53 PM »

I don't even recall any rape scenes. Lol... if there aren't any tentacles then it usually doesn't leave an impression. I was referring more to the deep dark place that poor Dwight Shrute found himself in.  Some aspects of his situation and the dialog hit a bit close to home at times.

I definitely remember some kind of weird sexual scene involving the both of them. But yeah that movie was definitely dark. I don't remember it being too bad though

OOOH... I remember now! Hahah... that was pretty rockin' if you ask me.

(To the masses: don't judge me by that rape thing until you watch the movie... it isn't quite what it sounds like. :lol:)

Lol yeah it's nothing terrible really. I'd sort of have to agree with you to an extent on the whole "rockin" part ;)

Desh

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2014, 12:00:17 AM »

Yars ago, CGI was used for things that couldn't be done with practical effects, or would have been really cost prohibitive to do with practical effects. Over the years, it has become a way to do everything. Such as CGI blood splatter.

What always loses me with CGI, is that it looks too, "Fake". I prefer the fakeness of miniatures and such, to CGI, which ahs a cartoonish look.

In some movies the cartoonish look works, others, not so much.

It does say something, that some of the work in Jurassic Parks looks better than some of the CGI I've seen in the 20+ years after that movie was released.

It's just like how over the past 10 years, most movies are mostly using the colors blue and orange, because they are complimentary colors. There are many sites out there with information on this practice, here is one of them - http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com/2010/03/teal-and-orange-hollywood-please-stop.html

Movies are getting lazier with the use of CGI, coloring, etc.

However, I have heard from some people that they like the blue/orange color palette, and also they like CGI. Mostly younger people, who feel any movie from the 90's is really old, and have not known a world without CGI in films :)

I couldn't agree with you more!  I even use the Jurassic Park example whenever I argue get in a discussion with someone about CGI.  Thanks for the info too.

FiftyQuid

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2014, 04:35:46 AM »
All this CGI talk got me thinking about The LEGO Movie.  I have to say there were moments in that movie where I thought to myself "Man, this looks like stop animation." which is awesome!  I haven't done any research on weather they used solely CGI, but if they did it came out awesome.  CGI is cartoony like you guys have said, but for The LEGO Movie there were times were I couldn't tell if it was computer graphics or the real thing.  They did an awesome job!  If I had seen that movie back in the 80's I would have flipped out.  I was (and still am) a LEGO nut.  Thank God I had a son so I can buy him LEGO.  Heck, LEGO even has a girly line now that is pretty awesome.  Have you seen this thing;

It's not as cool and sophisticated as some of the other sets out there, but anything that drives up interest for girls and LEGO is okay in my books.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

nectarsis

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2014, 04:50:06 AM »
12 Years a Slave...seriously she dot an Oscar for 10+ lines and MAYBE 15 minutes of screen time??

Frozen....SOOO vastly overrated
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Desh

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2014, 09:37:59 AM »
All this CGI talk got me thinking about The LEGO Movie.  I have to say there were moments in that movie where I thought to myself "Man, this looks like stop animation." which is awesome!  I haven't done any research on weather they used solely CGI, but if they did it came out awesome.  CGI is cartoony like you guys have said, but for The LEGO Movie there were times were I couldn't tell if it was computer graphics or the real thing.  They did an awesome job!  If I had seen that movie back in the 80's I would have flipped out.  I was (and still am) a LEGO nut.  Thank God I had a son so I can buy him LEGO.  Heck, LEGO even has a girly line now that is pretty awesome.  Have you seen this thing;

It's not as cool and sophisticated as some of the other sets out there, but anything that drives up interest for girls and LEGO is okay in my books.

Don't get me wrong I'm fine with CGI in a movie like this or any other animated movie where CGI is the only thing used.  I hate CGI were there doesn't need to be CGI i.e. many racing shots in Fast and Furious 2.  It was like really, you already have the cars built and people to drive them but you're going to have a simple part like two cars racing in a straight line done in CGI, why?

jtucci31

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2014, 11:14:13 AM »

All this CGI talk got me thinking about The LEGO Movie.  I have to say there were moments in that movie where I thought to myself "Man, this looks like stop animation." which is awesome!  I haven't done any research on weather they used solely CGI, but if they did it came out awesome.  CGI is cartoony like you guys have said, but for The LEGO Movie there were times were I couldn't tell if it was computer graphics or the real thing.  They did an awesome job!  If I had seen that movie back in the 80's I would have flipped out.  I was (and still am) a LEGO nut. 

I had to look that up after seeing it as I thought it was stop motion at times too. But I believe that last I searched I found that it was all CGI. But I agree that they did an excellent job. By using everything Lego-related (I.e. Water, fire, etc)

FiftyQuid

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2014, 01:14:26 PM »
Frozen....SOOO vastly overrated

then watch this;

Don't get me wrong I'm fine with CGI in a movie like this or any other animated movie where CGI is the only thing used.  I hate CGI were there doesn't need to be CGI i.e. many racing shots in Fast and Furious 2.  It was like really, you already have the cars built and people to drive them but you're going to have a simple part like two cars racing in a straight line done in CGI, why?
Funny… I watched this on Netflix last night.  It already looks dated.  For the record it's called 2 Fast, 2 Furious.  Ha!

Desh

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2014, 01:33:25 PM »
Haha... well 2Fast2Furious is terrible but I saw it in the theatres when it cameout because any movie with car chases has some viewing value.  The movie turned from crap to the shittiest shit that ever shitted when some of the car scenes didn't even involve real cars.

FiftyQuid

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2014, 01:56:11 PM »
Haha... well 2Fast2Furious is terrible but I saw it in the theatres when it cameout because any movie with car chases has some viewing value.  The movie turned from crap to the shittiest shit that ever shitted when some of the car scenes didn't even involve real cars.
The Dukes Of Hazzard jump at the end is priceless.  Both of the heroes are pretty much knocked out from crashing into the boat, yet Walker somehow miraculously managed to grab his gun and fire before the bad guy, who is already holding and aiming his gun at Walker, can even pull the trigger.  Ha!

FiftyQuid

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2014, 03:15:28 PM »
Thanks for the spoiler, fiddy.... now I don't have to bother watching it tonight like I'd planned since I rented it.... :twisted:
I just saved you $5 bucks.  You owe me.  I'll PM you my address.   :mrgreen:

Tatsujin

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2014, 04:18:15 PM »
I got really allergic to that teal'n'orange crap over the past few years. almost a deal breaker for me.
same goes for todays CGI stuff.
what looked revolutionary and perfect used in stuff like terminator II, these days it's only soulless synthetic crap for like 95% of most of its usage.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^