Author Topic: PC Engine LT Restore and Upgrade  (Read 2430 times)

cpsystem3

PC Engine LT Restore and Upgrade
« on: July 29, 2014, 08:53:11 AM »
Hello everyone!

I am embarking in an new project, the restoration of my "budget priced" PC Engine LT recently scored off of eBay. The unit, in its current state, is fully working but heavily sun faded. I plan on doing three things to the LT - retr0brite to restore the shell, new capacitors to ensure long-life, new modern LCD.

Current state
I received the unit on 7/28, here are a few pics, note the sun-fade on the shell:

As of writing, the sun faded plastics have been in the sun since 9:00am (just shy of 7 hours). I am using 3% h202 (200ml), 2tbsp corn starch and 1tsp Oxiclean for my mixture. I opted to keep the h202 on the low side to achieve the bleaching effect at a slower rate (to reduce the risk of damaging or 'blooming' the plastic). I have a feeling I will need two to three full-day sessions with the gel to fully restore the color. I will post pictures of the result after each day.

Plan for the caps
I am hoping to recap the LT with "solid caps". Does anybody have any information regarding swapping electrolytic caps for "solid caps"? I have seen others do this on PC Engine GT/ Turbo Express units before. Any recommendations on where to buy them? Here's the LT "cap map" with all of the necessary caps:
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=11711.0

Plan for the new LCD
Based on information found on Bacteria's forum, it looks like the 16:9 ratio 5" LCD monitors support both 4:3 and 16:9 (link below). A wide screen 5" LCD is just about the same height as the stock 4" LCD in the LT (within 2mm). I am thinking with the wide-screen LCD set on 4:3 ratio, I can upgrade the LCD without case-modding the LT. The extra space from the 16:9 screen will be "masked" by the stock bezel. I plan on obtaining composite video the same way you do a GT/ Turbo Express.

Proof 4:3 ratio works on the 5" LCD's:
http://www.bacman.co.uk/bacforum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4305&start=30#p36321

The LCD I purchased from eBay to try (fingers crossed it works!). It claims to be 16:9/4:3 switchable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281396079570
After successfully recapping and screen-modding my Turbo Express, I am feeling confident modding the super rare PC Engine LT. Wish me luck as I embark in this adventure!

Cheers,
Bill
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 05:41:14 AM by cpsystem3 »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: PC Engine LT Restore and Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 09:06:55 AM »
Good luck, man.  Please take lots of pictures along the way.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Keith Courage

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 05:07:31 PM »
I'd be worried about doing retro bright on it. I used retro bright on a gray super-cdrom2 drive once upon a time and it ate some of the gray off leaving horrible gray/white streaks.

Desh

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 07:00:56 AM »
This is awesome!  As a fellow turd polisher I wish you luck and anxiously await the results.

turbokon

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 01:19:48 PM »
Good luck man:)

I'd be worried about doing retro bright on it. I used retro bright on a gray super-cdrom2 drive once upon a time and it ate some of the gray off leaving horrible gray/white streaks.

I recently retrobrited a super cd-rom2 and it turned out great. 
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

cpsystem3

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 03:00:06 PM »
Mod write up complete, see post below. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 05:37:35 AM by cpsystem3 »

cpsystem3

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 05:11:29 AM »
Overall, I would say my retr0brite experiment was a success. As mentioned above, I mixed it on the weaker side using only 3% h2o2. Even keeping it weak, and monitoring it closely, I saw some slight "blooming" occur. Notably on the back of the unit near the antenna, and on the "latch" that keeps the unit shut.

All in all, the unit has more or less reverted back to "grey" instead of a dark greenish/grey. I am very pleased with the results.

Before/ After shots

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 05:28:29 AM by cpsystem3 »

cpsystem3

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 05:26:28 AM »
The LCD upgrade was a total success! As I suspected, the 5" wide screen LCD (that is 16:9 or 4:3 switchable) is a great fit. Minor case modding was required (from the inside). The unit looks 100% stock, until you power it up 8)

Since the LT has a fully intact expansion port, modding the HU6280 to output Composite video was not required. I was able to tap the signal directly from Pin A22 of the expansion port. Power was taken from the tab of the voltage regulator, measured at 6.3v DC. Fortunately for me, this was enough to power the LCD without any issue.

The LT's shell is extremely form fitting, there was barely enough room to run the input wires to the LCD. I opted to route the voltage and video signal wires through the HuCard port's screw holes (and only installed 2 of the 4 screws on the inside of the shell). I also nipped off the plastic standoffs for so the wires would make it to the top side of the PCB.

From here, I ran the video signal + ground to one flex cable, and voltage + ground to another flex cable. It is a MUST that you use flex cables if you attempt this mod, insulated wire is too thick and will jam the hinge. Also, it is a must that you use shielded wire before and after the flex cable. Without it, the picture is extremely noisy. In addition, you need to keep the video signal flex cable as short as physically possible, or it will pickup noise on the line.

I read from numerous sources that the LT's screen is "great even by today's standards". That is BS. If you've ever seen a GT/ Turbo Express screen in person, its exactly like that, only bigger. The ghosting is terrible, and color purity lackluster at best. The end result after the LCD enhancement - pure bliss. The LT is a definite keeper in my collection. I think I enjoy it more than my 3.5" LCD Turbo Express! :)

And finally, a video of the unit in action!

I hope you enjoyed checkout out my LT as much as I did modding it! Cheers
Bill
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 05:37:15 AM by cpsystem3 »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 05:45:26 AM »
Pretty sweet, man.  Thanks for the pics and write up.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

turbokon

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 06:05:28 AM »

Pretty sweet, man.  Thanks for the pics and write up.  :mrgreen:

For sure;).
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

cpsystem3

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 08:56:11 AM »
Ok so now I REALLY need a PI-AD18 and a Super CD-Rom 2 to go with the LT.

PI-AD18 might be wishful thinking, but the Super CD-Rom 2 should be obtainable. Anybody got a budget one, preferably that needs new caps + laser?

BlueBMW

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 01:09:51 PM »
Could you use a RAU-30 with the LT to detach it from a regular IFU?  Or just use it in an IFU... it looks pretty bad ass sitting next to the CDROM2.

And yeah the PI-AD18 is very rare lol.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

cpsystem3

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 02:12:50 AM »
Could you use a RAU-30 with the LT to detach it from a regular IFU?  Or just use it in an IFU... it looks pretty bad ass sitting next to the CDROM2.

My temporary plan is to use an RAU-30, I've seen a picture of it attached to the LT and it works just fine. I've already accepted the fact that if I even find one, it'll take a VERY long time most likely.

csgx1

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 06:50:01 AM »
Very nice improvements, looks awesome! 

Flare65

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 03:33:51 PM »
Did you re cap the unit while doing this mod or will you re cap later?  I own an LT that is still on its original caps.  Good to know a screen replacement is possible on these units.