Author Topic: "Why I Dislike The N64", or "What is the Deal With the N64?"  (Read 3446 times)

cr8zykuban0

Re: "Why I Dislike The N64", or "What is the Deal With the N64?"
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2014, 07:38:24 AM »
if only n64 would have had some more shmups and some street fighter games, that would have been cool.  but the n64 library in my opinion has a decent variety of games

lukester

« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2014, 07:49:35 AM »
Doom 64 is awesome, but I used a guide to find all the secret exits and Demon Keys.

The final boss is apparently impossible to beat without the Artifact weapon. It was hard enough even with it.

Also, there was no checkpoint system or quick save option. I had to replay a 30 minute stage, 3 whole times just because of the trap in the exit room.

esadajr

« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2014, 07:39:44 AM »
N64 is not even worth the hard disk space.

I never liked Mario 64 or any of the subsequent Mario 3D games for that matter.

On the other hand the 2.5D Mario games are awesome, and Super Mario 3D world is art (I don't see how they can top it).

The N64 controller is one of the worse controllers ever made, as stated before, the selection is not that great, third party support was just not there. I wasn't surprised to see my buddies get rid of it to get the PS1.
Gaming since 1985

lukester

« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2014, 09:34:55 AM »
The N64 controller is one of the worse controllers ever made

You would probably still hate the system, but there are definitely some great alternatives to the standard pad.

I use a Superpad (Makopad) 64, which is pretty good. It also has a metal stick.

I've also heard that the Hori Pad is amazing.

bartre

« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2014, 10:08:38 AM »
The N64 controller is one of the worse controllers ever made

You would probably still hate the system, but there are definitely some great alternatives to the standard pad.

I use a Superpad (Makopad) 64, which is pretty good. It also has a metal stick.

I've also heard that the Hori Pad is amazing.
the hori pad is pretty good.
but don't expect to play any FPS on the thing.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2014, 10:39:02 AM »
I've got both the SuperPad/Makopad and two Horis. The Superpad is decent, but the left grip is too large and has a uncomfortable edge where the flat top area begins. The stick is slightly too tall and very noisy, but has god resistance and will last forever. But if you go for one of these pads, check the stick for deadzone issues first. The menu from GoldenEye lets you spot deadzone problems easy.

The Hori Pad is good and does a good job for me on FPS games like Turok 1 and GoldenEye. The only drawback is there are four shoulder buttons, they are hard to tell apart (unlike the PS dualshock 2), and you must point your fingers at the right spots to press them, otherwise they won't register button presses.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:44:26 AM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Fidde_se

« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2014, 08:40:22 AM »
There probably are some good games out there for N64, but as it was more towards 3D and with a fuzzy way of doing that comparing to the Playstations more pixaleted sharpness the N64 usually falls behind, however... A guy here in Gothenburg got the rights from VileTim to continue the work of his RGB chip for it, as only a few Jap and US versions could be rebuilt for S-Video and the intentionally missing RGB, this on the other hand bypasses that and gives RGB from any region, model or revision.

Suddenly some of that fuzziness goes away and it becomes a little more playable.
LAB23 is the one making them.

It's time to start enjoying N64 again... GoldenEye maybe, wait Perfect Dark, maybe even Star Wars Racer and Rogue Squadron
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/
C64/CDi/VMU/POCKSTN/PSP/PSPCFW/FDS/VSM

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2014, 08:46:19 AM »
Couldn't you find a larger pic?  :lol:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Fidde_se

« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2014, 08:52:17 AM »
Couldn't you find a larger pic?  :lol:
Sorry Nec =)

And corrected...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 08:55:17 AM by Fidde_se »
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/
C64/CDi/VMU/POCKSTN/PSP/PSPCFW/FDS/VSM

MrBroadway

« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2014, 06:15:27 AM »
if only n64 would have had some more shmups and some street fighter games, that would have been cool.  but the n64 library in my opinion has a decent variety of games
Rakugakids is good, but the shmup "library" is pitiful. I tried out Dezaemon 3D, and it was entirely lackluster.

lukester

« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2014, 07:19:08 AM »
Rakugakids is good, but the shmup "library" is pitiful. I tried out Dezaemon 3D, and it was entirely lackluster.

The shooter library is modestly better than the "fighter" library though.

N64 basically had Killer Instinct Gold (good but 2 is now on Xbox One), Rakuga Kids (decent but weird) and Smash Bros (not as good as later entries).

At least N64 has Sin and Punishment, Bangai-O, and Star Fox 64. All legendary games.

There is also an N64 Star Soldier game (it's not very good though).

MrBroadway

« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2014, 09:35:40 AM »

The shooter library is modestly better than the "fighter" library though.

N64 basically had Killer Instinct Gold (good but 2 is now on Xbox One), Rakuga Kids (decent but weird) and Smash Bros (not as good as later entries).

At least N64 has Sin and Punishment, Bangai-O, and Star Fox 64. All legendary games.

There is also an N64 Star Soldier game (it's not very good though).
I keep forgetting that people consider them shooters. I only think of 2/2.5D shootemups, which is why I only mentioned Dezaemon. The three you mentioned are quality (though I never got into Bangai-O). And agreed about Star Soldier. That and Dezaemon are such big disappointments for me. But that's the N64 for ya.