Author Topic: "Why I Dislike The N64", or "What is the Deal With the N64?"  (Read 3447 times)

vexcollects

"Why I Dislike The N64", or "What is the Deal With the N64?"
« on: August 09, 2014, 07:08:30 AM »
I always have ads up looking for locally sourced TG-16 Duo games. Every about 4 – 6 months I get a bite from someone and I get some games. It is always nice to buy locally.
Recently someone contacted me with a great arrangement of Duo games. I’m still attempting to arrange a deal with this fellow. We are attempting to work out a trade. I have an extensive SNES boxed game collection that I am unloading so he seemed interested. Here is the thing though, at the top of his “wanted” list is an N64 and about 20 games.
I blew out most of my N64 stuff over the last half year because I just came to realize that it does not interest me. I continued to analyze why I was not a fan of that system and came to a few conclusions.

-   There were not a lot of great games for the N64. I dare anyone to name more than 20 “universally” loved games (I’m being generous), with the caveat that they still hold up. This brings me to my next point.

-   N64 games for the most part, do not hold up to the test of time. Let’s be honest, a lot of N64 games feel like tech demos at the dawn of Nintendo’s attempt at three dimensional gaming. I still agree that Mario 64 is one of the best games of all time, but I’m sorry, Goldeneye (I’m about to get lynched) is an aged, slow, and ugly game, with poor controls. Welcome to the start of, “look what we can do in games now”. All of this fancy 3d was seen as a major progression in gaming. Looking back, most of those games don’t feel like progress. To be fair, the game creation techniques just needed refinement and a few years of development before they got it right and 3d gaming became truly great.

-   Art. Art is important. I think we all can agree, TG-16 Duo games are for the most part, beautiful. Rich and interesting art styles. Colors that pop on the screen even by modern standards. N64 games and the word “art” have almost nothing in common. N64 games are full of graphics designed for function. Shading a polygon in 1996 is not art. Again, with the exception of a few games, this is the argument I will defend.

-   Point 3: This sh*t is not rare! Why, week after week and month after month, I see people posting N64 games on Kijiji as “rare”, I cannot figure out. There is some person posting Conker’s Bad Fur Day every other day on Kijiji for as long as I can remember, but those individuals still post it with the disclaimer, “no low ballers. I know how much this is worth.” It’s a $60 dollar game at best (cart only)! It’s ugly, not even that good, and hardly a rare title. There are millions of N64 carts collecting dust in basements and attics all over my city that you can buy every week at garage sales for $1 per cart, but for some reason carts like Zelda Majora’s Mask, and Super Smash Bros. sell for $40- $50 because they are supposedly “rare”. I’m not saying that the price of all other collectable games are justified, but with the N64, it is just ludicrous. (with the exception of a few titles that actually are rare.)

-   My last reason for disliking the N64 is: The ridiculous pie eyed love for everything Nintendo by 70% of the gamers I run into. I like Nintendo a lot. I am a huge fan, but I am a gamer. I also loved the Nokia N-Gage and the Panasonic 3DO. Every system had its moments that defined it, but that does not hinder my ability to recognize fault and say, “Hey, this particular product is not so great.” I just cannot fathom why 9 times out of 10 when I’m looking to trade games with someone who has actually great and valuable games, all they want is N64 titles. I don’t have any! They are gone! I traded them all off because they are not great, they are so damn common, and everyone wants them. I kept about 13 games for the N64 and I can’t think of any others that I want, yet week after week in my city they are treated like the gaming pinnacle and traded/sold in ridiculous numbers. I can’t even get my friends to recognize that the TG-16 is a valid system most of the time. I explain how great the games are, and how great the Japanese PC Engine games are, and show them examples of the greatness, but alas they just want to play Starfox 64 (so ugly and muddy/dark). The really sad thing is, if I took all of those great TG-16/PCE games and plopped them onto a Nintendo system with the trademark of “Nintendo” on them all of the sudden people would be falling all over themselves to get a copy of Blazing Lazers.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Am I completely off base here? I should say that as a gamer, I own almost every system post NES, including obscure items like the Atari Jaguar, Nokia N-Gage, CDX, 3DO, Lynx, NEOGEO Pocket, blah blah blah. The point is, I’m not a console snob, but I'm mostly proud of my TG16/PCE stuff. Best systems ever!   :-k   
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:17:44 PM by vexcollects »

technozombie

My thoughts echo yours. I was never a fan of the n64 even when it was the "best graphics" out.  I go to a lot of garage sales in my area and I never see n64 but I agree its not rare.

MrBroadway

Re: "Why I Dislike The N64", or "What is the Deal With the N64?"
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 07:35:18 AM »
Let's break this down. First, a disclaimer. Of the systems I own, N64 is one of my least favorite. Even as a kid, when I got it in 96, I wished I had gotten a PS1 instead (granted, I was taken in by the awesome looking graphics of Final Fantasy VII, a game I later would play and dislike). So I'm not an N64 apologist. However, a couple of things:

-   There were not a lot of great games for the N64. I dare anyone to name more than 20 “universally” loved games (I’m being generous), with the caveat that they still hold up. This brings me to my next point.
This is unfair. "Still holds up" is incredibly subjective. Some people would claim that simple 2D games don't hold up anymore in the face of massive and complex games today. Plenty of people don't like 2D shooters, saying the gameplay is outdated. Some people think golden age arcade games don't hold up! Fie on them, I say. To me, here is a list of 20 games that really do hold up.

Blast Corps
Diddy Kong Racing
Doom 64
Jet Force Gemini
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario Tennis
Mischief Makers
Ogre Battle 64
Perfect Dark
Pilotwings 64
Rakugakids
Robotron 64
Sin & Punishment
Snowboard Kids
Snowboard Kids 2
Star Fox 64
Super Mario 64

There, and I did it without resorting to GoldenEye or only one 3D platformer, on a system known for its 3D platformers.

N64 games for the most part, do not hold up to the test of time. Let’s be honest, a lot of N64 games feel like tech demos at the dawn of Nintendo’s attempt at three dimensional gaming. I still agree that Mario 64 is one of the best games of all time, but I’m sorry, Goldeneye (I’m about to get lynched) is an aged, slow, and ugly game, with poor controls. Welcome to the start of, “look what we can do in games now”. All of this fancy 3d was seen as a major progression in gaming. Looking back, most of those games don’t feel like progress. To be fair, the game creation techniques just needed refinement and a few years of development before they got it right and 3d gaming became truly great.
This is all opinion backed up by only GoldenEye, on which we have to disagree. GoldenEye slow? You're playing it on easy. Ugly? 3D games were ugly on all three fifth gen systems. I dare you to find a 3D game that's beautiful on the PS1, Saturn, or N64. Even in the next generation the games largely had ugly people in it (they started getting it right with the scenery, though). So your criticism is as much about fifth gen gaming as it is about the N64.

Art. Art is important. I think we all can agree, TG-16 Duo games are for the most part, beautiful. Rich and interesting art styles. Colors that pop on the screen even by modern standards. N64 games and the word “art” have almost nothing in common. N64 games are full of graphics designed for function. Shading a polygon in 1996 is not art. Again, with the exception of a few games, this is the argument I will defend.
Again this is a 3D vs. 2D argument and irrelevant when examining the N64 on its own merits in its own context.

There is some person posting Conker’s Bad Fur Day every other day on Kijiji for as long as I can remember, but those individuals still post it with the disclaimer, “no low ballers. I know how much this is worth.” It’s a $60 dollar game at best (cart only)! It’s ugly, not even that good, and hardly a rare title.
Well, it is a Rare game.  :dance:

My last reason for disliking the N64 is: The ridiculous pie eyed love for everything Nintendo by 70% of the gamers I run into.
So you hate something because people are nostalgic for it? Sounds hipster-level ridiculous to me.

So, all in all, these might be great reasons why you don't like the system, but they're hardly good reasons why nobody should like them, and they say nothing at all about how good or how bad it actually is. It comes down to personal preference and aversion to what's popular.

MrFulci

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 07:52:58 AM »
I never cared at all for the N64, or any of those systems from that generation, because by then 3D was taking over, and I didn't care for those games, nor did I like the way they played on a control pad. Also, I had Atari 2600, 5200 (I don't have that anymore), NES, SNES, Genesis + Sega CD, TG-16. I already had enough stuff.

*edited to add - I did buy an Atari Jaguar during that PS1 generation. Atari Jaguar had Tempest 2000 and some other games I liked.

I knew where 3D games were at. The PC. I knew that as soon as I had Wolfenstein 3D, and especially DOOM. DOOM was the reason I bought a proper soundcard for my PC and upgraded from a 33mhz 386, to a 100mhz 486 DX4. When GL Quake was released for Quake, I had no reason to look at consoles anymore. I began to care more about what type of 3DFX video card I had, processor, RAM, etc.

Golden Eye was mentioned here. I looked at that with a bit of snobbery, and thought, "Wow, I feel sorry for people who think this is so cool...".  Huh, what's that, I know, I see 4 players can play on a single TV screen. You can see what the other players are doing, though... No thanks, I don't want a turn playing...

I had Quake World. and Blood. and DOOM. etc... I also disliked the controls. I preferred a keyboard and mouse.

Not to get too lengthy, there are 0 games that interest me with the N64. The PC, I don't want to play platformers, fighters, etc on it, and on consoles I don't want to play FPS games, and most "3D" games. About the only computer game I don't mind on a console, is Populous. I don't really need the keyboard and mouse for that :).

I did buy a PS2, but the only games I have for that are Namco Collection, Metal Slug collection, Capcom collection, Activision Collection, etc. I can use those new-fangled controllers with the thumb sticks when I play Smash TV.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 07:55:53 AM by MrFulci »
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

toymachine78

N64 = 64 piles of shit

Desh

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 08:03:25 AM »
I actually agree that my N64 is one of the systems I play the least.  It is true that there are many games that haven't aged well.  I can think of quite of few titles that I loved when new but don't care for now.  However ,GoldenEye is still great in my mind.

I think N64 will be the next system that starts to jump in prices (it's already starting) because the folks that grew up with that system are graduating college and getting big boy jobs.  Now that they have money, they're getting nostalgic for all the stuff the loved/ played when they were young.

As far as rarity, there is still plenty of the stuff found at garage sales.  In the last episode my YouTube channel posted, quality N64 lots were all that were being found.   

TheClash603

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 08:07:48 AM »

This is all opinion backed up by only GoldenEye, on which we have to disagree. GoldenEye slow? You're playing it on easy. Ugly? 3D games were ugly on all three fifth gen systems. I dare you to find a 3D game that's beautiful on the PS1, Saturn, or N64. Even in the next generation the games largely had ugly people in it (they started getting it right with the scenery, though). So your criticism is as much about fifth gen gaming as it is about the N64.

The Saturn is arguably the worst 3D system of the bunch, but I can't say anything bad about how Nights looks.  Game is a bit muddy compared to what comes out now-a-days, but it is also gorgeous.

MrFulci

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 08:08:00 AM »
If a Nintendo 64 or PS1 fell into my lap, no matter the games, I would put plug it all in to test it out, then sell it to someone to get rid of it.

That's how I feel about those systems.

Now Saturn stuff... That's a bit different.

"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

bob

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 08:25:35 AM »
"Why I Dislike the N64"

Because you're human.  Only dodo birds like the N64.

synbiosfan

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 08:31:16 AM »
I think if you don't check out the 64 you'll miss out on some great games. That being said it is my least favorite Nintendo console. Some of my reasons are different.

I was an adult when the 64 came out and was disappointed. In a nutshell, the Nintendo hype machine was flooding magazine's (for years) with propaganda giving an unrealistic expectation.

If it was one of your first systems your viewpoint will/may be different so I'm not trying to crap it.

BlueBMW

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 08:38:51 AM »
Most guys here know that Im an unashamed N64 lover.   Two words... Banjo Kazooie.  Done :)   My friends and I still get together and play Mario Kart and wcw/nwo revenge.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 08:50:06 AM »
I grew up and enjoyed the N64 and I feel like it's "trendy" to hate on it now a days.  Even on places like Nintendo Age there is a lot of dislike for it.

I got my N64 in 1996 and I have always felt in order to truly experience and appreciate the N64 was to enjoy it in it's full prime.  To try and play it for the first time in a post PS2 era will not reflect it favourably.

I will say this though, SNES is better hands down :mrgreen:

wildfruit

My beef was that it didn't do rgb out the box. Inexcusable.

Bernie

• Facebook URL
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 09:37:44 AM »
Gotta admit, I too love the N64.  Super Mario 64 blew me out the water at the time.  I still play it to this day, my 64 that is.  It sits there looking pretty with an EverDrive stuck in it.  :)

vexcollects

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 09:46:54 AM »
Yes! I'm glad to see there are others out there who agree with me. Maybe I was being a little harsh as some pointed out. My "N64" friend is coming over tonight to game. I have a great Super Famicom game (Twinbee) that I just got yesterday, but I know we will end up back on the N64. I bought Quake II on the N64 so we can play it. I have fond memories, but again......fond memories does not always work out.

I will say in response to one of the members above, I agree with your points on how this is merely my opinion on the N64. I never claimed it wasn't and I'm not trying to convince anyone else to "hate" the N64. That is why I asked everyone what their thoughts were on my opinion. I'm also not sure I used the word "hate". That is a strong word and I still own a N64 and 13 games. One of my favorite games of all time is Mario 64. All I'm saying is that I don't like it and I have some opinions as to why I don't. If you don't think they are valid...cool. I'm willing to listen to your point of view and examine your argument to see if I'm being too harsh. Peace.

Still gonna defend it though. Goldeneye does not hold up. Play some Quake II on the PC and then tell me why Goldeneye is great. What I meant by calling it "slow" is that it is clunky due to poor controls and the limitations of the system. Wrong choice of words.

I'm also not comparing the N64 to any other 3D console offerings at the time just because it would be a crazy argument. There is a lot of subtlety there. I honestly don't think 3D games on consoles started coming into their own until the Dreamcast appeared....but again, just my opinion.

and yeah, maybe it's "trendy" to dislike it, but I've never really loved the N64, so that is not the case with me. It's also hard to be a hipster at 38 years of age with a mortgage living in suburbia. So, I'm gonna dismiss any accusation that I dislike it to be hip or because I "hate" what other people love just because I want to. I may not understand why they love it so much, which only means that I have an opinion. I think that is fair.