Author Topic: New to community  (Read 406 times)

cowboy1128

New to community
« on: September 02, 2001, 06:38:00 PM »
Hey, I am a huge video game fan and started to look at some of the old systems I always wanted as a kid. One of the first systems to come to mind was the PC engine. I remeber always wanting a Duo. So, now that I have the means of getting one, I am definately planning on aquiring one. One problem, I don't know what I should be paying for one. If anyone can tell me this it would be very well apprecaited. Also, I have a couple of other questions.
1. What are the best games to get?
2. Is there regional lock out on the Jap/US Duo's?
3. Is there anyplace I can look for a complete faq for the Duo?
4. Best place to get one?
Thanks a lot. Hopefully someone can help me on my quest to fulfill a childhood dream.

m1savage

I'll give this a shot....
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2001, 03:12:00 AM »
First off, welcome to the world of Turbo!

The best place to find Duo's is either in pawn shops (used) or online at tzd.com (new). TZD sells new Duo's for $199 and used ones on Ebay usually go for close to that so you may as well buy a new one.  

There is no regional lockout on CD games so Japanese CD games will play on a US Duo. The exception would be Arcade card cds due to the fact that they require an Arcade card to play. You can use a convertor (see below) and an Arcade card if you want however.

To play Japanese Hucard games on a US system you would need a convertor. The best of these is the Kissado but they are hard to find and VERY expensive right now. The next best one (in my opinion) is the "TV Game Convertor". These are usually blue/purple in color and can be found sometimes on Ebay. To use them with a Duo, you will have to remove the Hucard cover which is no big deal. If you ever plan on buying an Arcade card later I'd stay away from the other convertors since they don't work too well with it.

As for favorite games, that's like asking someone to pick their favorite child!   There are so many good games for this system it's hard to chose. Go here for some reviews-

pcengine.co.uk/

or go here and check the the message board under Top Turbo Games-

dritz.topcities.com

Hope this helps!

Oh yeah, don't forget to check out the Turbo Grafx section on this very site for more info! Edited by: m1savage at: 9/3/01 10:14:30 am

cowboy1128

Re: I'll give this a shot....
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2001, 03:05:00 PM »
Thanks a lot. Your info is extremely helpful. I'm trying to get the system as we speak. Also, what is better to get, an American Duo or a Japanese Duo, Duo-r, or a Duo-rx? Which should I try the hardest to get?  

JesseZamora

Re: New to community
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2001, 06:07:00 PM »
You should try going to www.tzd.com if you're looking for Turbo Duos.  That's where I got mine, and there may still be some left.  As for which one to get, I say go on ahead with the US Duo.  It's easier to get American software in America, and you wouldn't be able to use American turbochips with a Japanese system, making for an even bigger headache.  Just go USA all the way.

As for a fave, I'm still pretty new when it comes to Turbo gaming, but I currantly love Lords of Thunder [available at www.tzd.com] and Cosmic Fantasy 2 [avaiable at www.workingdesigns.com - call the number on the top frame to order].  I'm also getting into Ys I&II, that one looks sweet.