Author Topic: China Warrior SFC?  (Read 1374 times)

motdelbourt

China Warrior SFC?
« on: June 15, 2006, 09:58:47 AM »
Is there a Super Famicom game that plays like China Warrior? I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was.

esteban

Re: China Warrior SFC?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 12:34:43 PM »
Quote from: "motdelbourt"
Is there a Super Famicom game that plays like China Warrior? I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was.
I'd love to find out :). Kaminari?
  |    | 

motdelbuort

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 07:06:45 PM »
Quote from: "stevek666"
I'd love to find out :). Kaminari?

Actually I thought you mentioned something about a spiritual successor to China Warrior, Steve, but I couldn't find any posts about it.

rolins

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 06:59:07 PM »

Not aware of any China Warrior like game, but I remember playing a game called Karatedo on the X68000. It has that China Warrior look, but it's one-on-one fighting game than side-scrolling action.

Black Tiger

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 12:17:15 PM »
China Warrior is just a Kung Fu themed port of the arcade game Gladiator. I don't know if the same staff worked on both games, but they're exactly the same, except for the attack moves.

You can play Gladiator on Taito's classics compilation for PS2 and Xbox. It's one of the best retro sets around and is a must buy for Plump Pop alone.

Gladiator's one of the beloved arcade games from my childhood and I've been sitting on the pcb for years, but it's not jamma and I'm not electronically inclined. But the Taito set makes up for it.

If were to name the genre China Warrior and Gladiator fall under, the best title would be to call them "Garbage Storm" games, since both involve you walking into the wind as a pile of junk gets tossed at you again and again.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 01:15:45 PM »
If were to name the genre China Warrior and Gladiator fall under, the best title would be to call them "Garbage Storm" games, since both involve you walking into the wind as a pile of junk gets tossed at you again and again.
Haha, that's the perfect genre name for them.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 06:52:07 PM »
Hey! Not fair! Oolong tea is not garbage!

Anyway, was there another thread in which you discussed Gladiator? Because I recall you discussing a certain that you liked and I had never heard / played it before.
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 08:59:48 PM »
Anyway, was there another thread in which you discussed Gladiator? Because I recall you discussing a certain that you liked and I had never heard / played it before.
Yes there was. It was in this thread where we talked about our favorite side-scrollers with big, clumsy sprites.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 04:03:32 PM »

Anything's garbage when you start chucking a bunch of it at someone.  :P

What else would you call this-

Other than a "Garbage Storm" game?

Keranu

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 06:52:47 PM »

Am I seeing doubles of that big, clumsy man?  :?

Hey and for all this garbage talking: one man's garbage (e.g., Keith Courage) is another man's treasure (e.g., mine  :mrgreen: ).

esteban

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 04:17:30 AM »

Anything's garbage when you start chucking a bunch of it at someone.  :P

What else would you call this-

Other than a "Garbage Storm" game?
Hahahhaaa, I think you're right, though Keranu does have a point :). When we were playing China Warrior (as kids), my brother would say something along the lines of:

"Crap! The monks are throwing everything but the kitchen sink at us. Goddam monks!"

Indeed, there seemed to be a lot of pots, pans and other kitchen utensils in China Warrior. Even oolong tea.

Anyway, I'm glad this thread was resurrected, because I actually like China Warrior and now I want to play Gladiator! I'm stoked! Thanks for making my xmas merry and bright :)
  |    | 

termis

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 08:30:08 AM »
Gladiator is a friggin' awesome game.  I had a good time with that one in my local circle-K or whatever convenience store it was that had it.

Anyone who played it can probably admit to trying to take off all the chunks of armor of the female boss  :-"  (And don't even deny it!) 

...Hey, I was an elementary school student.  Of course I'm gonna do stuff like that back then... Now that I've hit my 30's... Oh wait, I'd still do that, even more so, probably...  #-o

Black Tiger

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 02:16:30 PM »
Gladiator is a friggin' awesome game.  I had a good time with that one in my local circle-K or whatever convenience store it was that had it.

Anyone who played it can probably admit to trying to take off all the chunks of armor of the female boss  :-"  (And don't even deny it!) 

...Hey, I was an elementary school student.  Of course I'm gonna do stuff like that back then... Now that I've hit my 30's... Oh wait, I'd still do that, even more so, probably...  #-o

I remember kids claiming that you could chop off her breasts as a finishing move if you did it just right. Of coarse, everyone also said the same thing about the ending of Trojan back in the day.

Since the ending of Double Dragon sounded too good to be true but was real, most kids still held out hope that it might be true.

There are however, censored and uncensored versions of Gladiator. I don't remember if it's just a dip switch setting, import version or what, but one version has either skimpier underwear or no bra for the women.

nodtveidt

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 06:52:22 AM »
It's probably a hacked version. There's no such "known" dip switch settings in the original game.

termis

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 08:28:52 AM »
Quote from: from http://www.mameworld.net/maws/romset/gladiatr
The Japanese version ("Ohgon no Siro") and the prototype ("Golden Castle") have a nudity feature not present in Gladiator. The female warrior Irene is shown with bare breasts when defeated by removing all layers of her chest armor (In Gladiator she still wears a bikini top when defeated this way).

I actually do remember this as I played the Japanese version before.  I never knew this wasn't doable in the US version.