Author Topic: Laser Suddenly Crapped: Need Advice  (Read 301 times)

o.pwuaioc

Laser Suddenly Crapped: Need Advice
« on: October 02, 2014, 09:30:22 AM »
I think I know what's wrong, but just in case, I'll check with here first. I was playing a burned game (Dracula X, burned at 4x speed, 700 MB disc) and all of a sudden, the laser sounded like it was clicking, and it never loaded the next screen (I was showing off the PCE Duo to a friend who had never played Drac X before :( ). Now, the disc won't spin, the laser won't move. Is it absolutely dead? I tried giving it a tiny nudge, but didn't want to break it further in case it can be fixed instead of replaced. I hadn't heard anything about burned games breaking the laser on the Duo (and that myth was debunked concerning the Dreamcast), was that it? The caps were recently replaced by our very own Keith Courage, so that's not likely the problem.

Thoughts? If I need to replace, I saw that the stickied thread link was no longer working, is there a certain kind I should get/need to check for?

BlueBMW

Re: Laser Suddenly Crapped: Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 09:32:24 AM »
Where in the track is the laser?  Is it stuck at the outermost point?  That does happen... the game tries to seek too far (usually because of the CDR) and it will actually get stuck at the end of the track.  you can try and nudge it back but usually you have to open the unit and use your finger to move the gears that drive the laser and get it back into the normal range.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

o.pwuaioc

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 09:48:45 AM »
Where in the track is the laser?  Is it stuck at the outermost point?  That does happen... the game tries to seek too far (usually because of the CDR) and it will actually get stuck at the end of the track.  you can try and nudge it back but usually you have to open the unit and use your finger to move the gears that drive the laser and get it back into the normal range.
It does look like that. I'll find a bit and try that soon and report back. Thanks.

Keith Courage

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 07:03:06 PM »
yes, the lens could be stuck at the very outermost edge. this can happen sometimes when playing cd-r discs.

unfortunately there is no way to move the lens in a duo system without opening it up. Pushing on it with.something without taking it apart usually won't do a single thing. if you happen to have the bit to open it up all you need to do is move the gear slightly by turning the lens motor with your finger a few times.

another option is for whatever reason maybe the wires for the lens got stuck on something.

BlueBMW

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 07:05:49 PM »
I believe it is a 4.5mm security bit or sometimes called a game bit.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

thesteve

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 08:03:51 PM »
that is a common issue even NEC knew about (as the fixed it on the DUO-RX)

Keith Courage

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 09:28:14 PM »
U.S. DUOs use the 4.5mm bit. JP DUOs use a torx security bit. I think it's a T10 but I could be off by a size. Menards carries them.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 02:11:23 PM by Keith Courage »