Author Topic: Anyone got a PC-FX GA DOS/V gathering dust?  (Read 549 times)

elmer

Anyone got a PC-FX GA DOS/V gathering dust?
« on: January 09, 2015, 03:54:52 AM »
I'm interested in buying one of these to see if I can set up a working development system ... but don't want to get screwed on price.

Does anyone have one of these gathering dust that they might be willing to sell (or possibly trade for other development hardware)?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:22:00 AM by elmer »

jeffhlewis

Re: Anyone got a PC-FX GA DOS/V gathering dust?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 04:19:22 PM »
Windygaming has one for sale (unless it's been sold recently). It's in immaculate condition to boot.

SamIAm

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 04:43:37 PM »
No matter where you go, it's probably not going to be cheap. Those things are rare and (relatively) sought after even in Japan.

jtucci31

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 05:06:42 PM »
Windygaming has one for sale (unless it's been sold recently). It's in immaculate condition to boot.

Already pointed him in that direction. I guess it wasn't the correct one or something, sadly.

Chris will have that thing for awhile

elmer

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 04:16:56 AM »
Thanks for the WindyGaming suggestion ... I tried, but he's got the PC-FX GA PC98 ... the one that only works in a Japanese PC98 not-IBM-compatable.

I'm pretty crazy, but not crazy enough to buy an old 486-generation PC9801 and ship it from Japan just to run that version of the PC-FX GA!  :wink:

elmer

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 04:35:42 AM »
No matter where you go, it's probably not going to be cheap. Those things are rare and (relatively) sought after even in Japan.

Yep ... I know that they're rare. I'm surprised that they're actually still sought after, though ... I didn't think that anyone was doing any homebrew on them anymore.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 01:11:23 AM »
I'm sure they're mostly sought by collectards and not devs.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

elmer

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 03:46:51 AM »
I'm sure they're mostly sought by collectards and not devs.

Yes, sadly. There are lots of PC-FX GA PC98 cards for sale. I just wish that the collectards would just be satisfied with those.

SamIAm

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 01:18:44 PM »
I could be wrong about this, but I think I remember a Japanese site that said that the PC98 version was released first, and it had the biggest sales push behind it. The DOS version was sort of an extra that came later. That's why it's so rare.

Right now, there are none of these on Yahoo Auctions, but I can remember seeing one of these sometime last year. It went for well over 10,000 yen, IIRC.

elmer

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 02:31:46 PM »
I can see that ... I actually read one article that said that the PC-FX GA was supposed to be NEC's answer to the early Western PC 3D revolution (ATI/3DFX/NVidia) ... although that doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

NEC didn't want to follow the IBM path, and so it makes sense that the PC-FX GA DOS/V is a LOT rarer than the PC-FX GA PC98.

What I find a little sad (although somewhat understandable) is that you can buy a new-in-box PC-FX GA pretty cheaply ... but it's hard to find an affordable PC-FX GA DOS/V.

Approx 10,000Y + shipping would be perfect, I'll keep on looking to see if one comes up.

At the end of the day ... normal folks only need either Mednafen or a retail PC-FX to play all the games.

The "GA", either version, should really only appeal to a programmer.

At the end of the day ... how many people still have ISA-capable machines gathering dust in the closet?

It's not even like it's the (anybody-ever-seen-one?) offical PC-FX dev kit, or something REALLY rare or special.