Author Topic: The Official Emerald Dragon Translation Project  (Read 8990 times)

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
    • FX Unit Yuki Official Website
Re: The Official Emerald Dragon Translation Project
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2015, 08:44:05 AM »
Still loving this.

For reals. I am reeeaaalllly looking forward to this project getting completed. Makes my nipplz all stiff.
:yuki: "Go forth, FX-Unit Yuki!" http://www.fxunityuki.com
            Available NOW for the PC Engine and Dreamcast!

technozombie

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2015, 02:33:21 PM »
This game looks really cool. I hope everything continues to go smoothly.

seieienbu

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2015, 08:00:30 PM »
Like a late Christmas present; this is absolutely fantastic news. 

I wish you good luck Nightwolve!
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

roflmao

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2015, 01:10:05 PM »
Late to the party response: WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2015, 01:56:08 PM »
Do you guys need donations like hardware and cash and stuff?

SuperPlay

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2015, 09:36:01 PM »
Great stuff, this is one of the games that I would love to play :-)

D

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2015, 12:49:41 PM »
Nice to see someone working on this one. It's probably the best widely available version of Emerald Dragon, since it's still somewhat true to the original game.

For most players this will be the closest they would ever want to come to playing the original PC-style Emerald Dragon.

As someone who owns both, I still consider the FM-TOWNS version to be superior. It has the original voice cast, side quests and soundtrack, and the cut scenes are based on the hand painted style of the manual instead of stock anime.

Get in touch with me if you need any help with font design or manual design. I own most of the Emerald Dragon guidebooks for the PC editions and they have lots of good art.

As for Dracula X opening/intro, that wasn't a VWF routine. That was a replacement 6x12 font FWF routine. It's the cleanest way to hack a 12x12 print routine (which 98% of all PCECD RPGs use). It looks tight like VWF, but it's not. It's a great compromise between the two, IMO.

That was my suggestion as well. 6x12 works great for text-heavy games with limited screen real estate. Kil's Langrisser IV translation made use of a 6x12 font I designed. The narrower tiles leave less space around glyphs such as i, l, and j, and also around punctuation marks. It helps to mask one of the more negative effects of monospaced fonts.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 01:23:13 PM by D »

D

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2015, 03:35:07 PM »
I do not know why I quoted your message, but I just wanted to give you some grief for having such a long username. I mean... how is anyone supposed to abbreviate that? :lol:
Maybe you could make it shorter by only writing the first stroke of the D, which I guess would be I?

spenoza

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2015, 05:32:17 PM »
I do not know why I quoted your message, but I just wanted to give you some grief for having such a long username. I mean... how is anyone supposed to abbreviate that? :lol:
Maybe you could make it shorter by only writing the first stroke of the D, which I guess would be I?

I think, in your case, we would lengthen your name. Sort of like a backwards nickname. We could go for pronunciation and call you Diiiiiiiiii or Deeeeeeee. Or go for appearances and call you CI (which is just a backwards D). Or I). Or ol.

I am apparently too tired to be doing this. I'm actually having fun...
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

HailingTheThings

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2015, 07:12:37 PM »

I think, in your case, we would lengthen your name. Sort of like a backwards nickname. We could go for pronunciation and call you Diiiiiiiiii or Deeeeeeee. Or go for appearances and call you CI (which is just a backwards D). Or I). Or ol.

I am apparently too tired to be doing this. I'm actually having fun...

We shall call him "Dī no Shokutaku!"

SkyeWelse

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2015, 12:42:25 AM »
I'm excited to hear about this project since I've wanted to play it in English for awhile now. I own the MSX2/2+ version, but it does run pretty slow on a real MSX machine which makes this version much more of an attractive version to play an English version of. If any of the supplemental materials can be utilized from the MSX2/2+ game, please let me know and I can photograph or scan them.

I wanted to post here sooner, but I've been pretty wrapped up doing some graphics for the Nayuta no Kiseki fan-translation project and a port/remix of Fix It Felix, Jr for the MSX2/2+ that a friend and I are "hammer-ing" out... Get it?... hammer? Because.... Felix uses a....

Ah whatever. : )

Nice to meet you all.

-Thomas

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2015, 11:28:04 AM »
Hammer time! :D

Welcome SkyWelse, for some reason I thought you were a member here for awhile, but you only have 2 posts, & apparently you registered here a week ago!  Well, once again, welcome. :)

SephirothTNH

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2015, 11:35:08 AM »
Ditto.  Welcome aboard SkyeWelse!

NightWolve

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2015, 04:57:51 PM »
Just to verify, this font is actually used in the game? Are you sure it's used for the main dialog box, and not something like the battle screen? If it's used for the main dialog box too, then that's pretty amazing find.

As for Dracula X opening/intro, that wasn't a VWF routine. That was a replacement 6x12 font FWF routine. It's the cleanest way to hack a 12x12 print routine (which 98% of all PCECD RPGs use). It looks tight like VWF, but it's not. It's a great compromise between the two, IMO.

On the note of pointer, like I said if the pointer system hasn't been figured out (a separate pointer table than the LZSS block), and you don't want to go through the work of RE'ing it, you can do a token system incorporated into it (making some new control codes). On that note, I never found LZSS in small block/window sizes to compress that great for English text. You guys didn't have a problem with Ys IV in this regards, or did you have to cut the string lengths down?

Hey Tom, I wanted to first verify with a message box besides the status menu (which I could test with weeks ago) and here it goes:

Progress continues! PC-FX BIOS to the rescue! That is an 8x12 font Derrick extracted from the PC-FX BIOS!

So yeah, I tracked down a compressed block and got to the message for the sign. I didn't recompress the whole block, I set 2 control bytes inbetween to 0xFF so I could type literal bytes direct. We've got the same LZ codec as Ys IV, so format is control byte and 8 bytes of payload, etc.

As to your Ys IV question, nope, didn't have a problem where I had to go back to the translator to try to shrink text because a recompressed English block exceeded the space allocated! It worked out with no problems!

Well, I might actually have everything needed unless it comes to graphics somewhere, but it looks like I won't have to call upon your expertise just yet - David already did the tough analysis, the research, identification of all text blocks, the codec changes, etc. and the print routine with new font tile insertion is gonna work out fine if one is satisfied with 8x12 fixed-width as with Ys IV.

roflmao

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2015, 05:10:08 PM »
Aw yes!