Author Topic: The Official Emerald Dragon Translation Project  (Read 8998 times)

dshadoff

Re: The Official Emerald Dragon Translation Project
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2015, 03:50:00 PM »
That brings me to this, do you think there's any more tweaking you could possibly do to the "check_match()" and "is_match()" functions to squeeze any further compression gains out of the codec while still working with the game's same LZSS decoder ?

I'll take a look, but I won't have time to look in any depth before the weekend.
I doubt that I'll be able to improve it... but I'll look, just in case.

-Dave

elmer

« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2017, 05:31:19 AM »
NightWolve:

Someone at romhacking.net just listed this as a translation project that might need a reboot ... unaware that you'd taken it over and have been working on it.

That reminded me to take a look at this thread and ask how things are going on.

So, how are things progressing? Have you hit technical issues?

NightWolve

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2017, 06:39:45 AM »
Nope, no problems to report after the first insertion of a text block. I haven't resumed ever since, left it on the back burner. Sam was busy with you on Legend of Xanadu I and II anyway so I didn't see a rush to continue. I had worked on TurboRip and Zwei! instead for a bit when I could make the time, but I'm busy now with offline life. If I mess with it this year, I'll make a beta patch with the 60% translation I have from Sam.

Nightcrawler continues his bullying with me, so who knows what he's writing over there now. It's not actually the result of contacting any project manager to report "news." I don't have anything to do with them, never did, and also since extortion threats originated out of the forums when I did the Felghana patch in 2007 so I told them to f#ck off and delete my hosted patches.

They actually changed their main rule about removing the hosting of patches per creator's request cause of me, and forced all my patches back up, heh. Then NightCrawler made a profile hate post of me to write attacks, he worked in XXXSEED some time ago as well. Jeff DeuceBag said he caught a death threat there for not sharing SSRPG tools, so he quit their forums eventually. Recently, some enemy of theirs created a fake Romhacking.net account on Twitter to fool the public for a while, and then turned it into NightCrawler Alt Racist political commentary, funny as heck, heh. Can't help but feel glee right now.

Anyway, I think if you're able to think about another project, Anearth Fantasy Stories or Gulliver Boy could use your expert attention. Your talent can't be around forever, so if you did extract / insert work, any needed font job, and left it around, others can get to it in the future.

Travelman32

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2017, 08:43:34 AM »
Nope, no problems to report after the first insertion of a text block. I haven't resumed ever since, left it on the back burner. Sam was busy with you on Legend of Xanadu I and II anyway so I didn't see a rush to continue. I had worked on TurboRip and Zwei! instead for a bit when I could make the time, but I'm busy now with offline life. If I mess with it this year, I'll make a beta patch with the 60% translation I have from Sam.

Nightcrawler continues his bullying with me, so who knows what he's writing over there now. It's not actually the result of contacting any project manager to report "news." I don't have anything to do with them, never did, and also since extortion threats originated out of the forums when I did the Felghana patch in 2007 so I told them to f#ck off and delete my hosted patches.

They actually changed their main rule about removing the hosting of patches per creator's request cause of me, and forced all my patches back up, heh. Then NightCrawler made a profile hate post of me to write attacks, he worked in XXXSEED some time ago as well. Jeff DeuceBag said he caught a death threat there for not sharing SSRPG tools, so he quit their forums eventually. Recently, some enemy of theirs created a fake Romhacking.net account on Twitter to fool the public for a while, and then turned it into NightCrawler Alt Racist political commentary, funny as heck, heh. Can't help but feel glee right now.

Anyway, I think if you're able to think about another project, Anearth Fantasy Stories or Gulliver Boy could use your expert attention. Your talent can't be around forever, so if you did extract / insert work, any needed font job, and left it around, others can get to it in the future.

Never knew about all this drama, what is the deal?

As for this version of Emerald Dragon.  It looks nice, but the issue with the snes version is it was far too easy.  It was stupidly easy.  I tried to handicap myself, to a great extent, to make it harder and still beat it with ease.  So, is this version, for some reason, in any way harder?  Otherwise, there is no point IMO in playing another very easy game.

Dicer

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2017, 11:05:59 AM »

Wasn't Anearth well into being translated or am I imagining things?

I just wish people could stop being dicks and be kosher with one another, for such a small group of folks (generally speaking vs other consoles fans) we have a wide array of cunts. :(

Of course Nightwolve, this is not directed at you.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2017, 11:26:27 AM »
As for this version of Emerald Dragon.  It looks nice, but the issue with the snes version is it was far too easy.  It was stupidly easy.  I tried to handicap myself, to a great extent, to make it harder and still beat it with ease.  So, is this version, for some reason, in any way harder?  Otherwise, there is no point IMO in playing another very easy game.

I've not played the SNES version, but I don't recall the PCE one being spectacularly easy.  My skills are pretty crap, though, so the fact that I beat it at all means it can't be that hard of a game.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

exodus

« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2017, 11:36:41 AM »
I just checked and mine doesn't have the demo disc. Dang it!!!!!!!

elmer

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2017, 02:46:47 PM »

I'm going to speak out-of-turn ... but I believe that what SamIAm really needs to see from you is a large chunk of that 60% translation working in-game without running out of either compressed or decompressed space.

SamIAm is an absolute "treasure" to this community, and has been working on translations since at-least 2006 ... but the poor guy has kept on working with incomplete scripts, or translations that would break badly on re-insertion into the game.

Those are "programmer" issues ... not "translator" issues.

From my (admittedly limited experience) there's a HUGE gulf between extracting some of the text, and understanding how to actually rebuild the game data with new English translations ... and that's even without considering line-length issues due to the font drawing.

If you can show him that everything is understood, and that multiple scripts reinsert cleanly into the game without breaking the game's loading, or overflowing the RAM, then I'm sure that he'll make the time to finish off the translations.

Some of the things that you said back in 2016 make me a little uncertain as to whether you're quite at that point of confidence with the scripts, yet.

(I have absolutely no doubt at-all that you have both the skill and perseverance to get there ... the only question is whether it is all done, yet.)

Nightcrawler continues his bullying with me, so who knows what he's writing over there now.

I (thankfully) missed those "drama" years ... and in this particular case, it's just a thread where many old-and-seemingly-abandoned projects are being mentioned as possibilities for the current-generation of translators to pick up and finish.

There's been little negativity towards you.

There was one thread over there recently where someone mentioned the whole situation ... but I tried to point out that there was a different interpretation of events ... and NightCrawler wasn't even involved in that thread.

Anyway, I think if you're able to think about another project, Anearth Fantasy Stories or Gulliver Boy could use your expert attention.

While Anearth may be a project someday, I'm not sure that Gulliver Boy makes much sense for a PCE translation ... because I suspect that it would need subtitles that could only (sensibly) be done on the Saturn version ...

... unless Tom's future work on the Tengai Makyou games makes everyone here appreciate the idea of Mednafen-only emulator-only subtitles.

elmer

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2017, 02:54:11 PM »

Not "imagining", just "projecting" your hopes and dreams.

SamIAm put a lot of work into translating the script-extractions that he was given ... "yes".

As for what that actually meant in relation to a workable translated-game ... "pass".

Dicer

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2017, 02:57:36 PM »

Not "imagining", just "projecting" your hopes and dreams.

SamIAm put a lot of work into translating the script-extractions that he was given ... "yes".

As for what that actually meant in relation to a workable translated-game ... "pass".

Well, :(

elmer

« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2017, 03:32:07 PM »
Well, :(

Don't worry ... I expect that it'll happen someday, and that all of the existing work that SamIAm did with EsperKnight will be useful.  :wink:

But after picking-up 2 translations from EsperKnight, and looking at a 3rd (Team Innocent), I'm seeing a pattern of limitations in his ability to finish things that get beyond a certain complexity-level.

Anearth Fantasy Stories seems to be one of those projects.

That's no problem, and not an insult ... it's just a statement of my perceptions.

Doug (EsperKnight) is a really nice guy, and a good hacker ... he just didn't want to disappoint folks, and didn't know when to back away from tasks that were a little beyond his abilities.

The fact that he took them on in the first-place, and brought them to the advanced levels that he did is a huge testament to what he could do ... and it has been an invaluable help in getting me to come along years-later and finish-off some of the projects that he started.

SamIAm

« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2017, 03:42:27 PM »
If you can show him that everything is understood, and that multiple scripts reinsert cleanly into the game without breaking the game's loading, or overflowing the RAM, then I'm sure that he'll make the time to finish off the translations.

Bingo.  :D

While Anearth may be a project someday, I'm not sure that Gulliver Boy makes much sense for a PCE translation ... because I suspect that it would need subtitles that could only (sensibly) be done on the Saturn version ...

... unless Tom's future work on the Tengai Makyou games makes everyone here appreciate the idea of Mednafen-only emulator-only subtitles.

Interestingly, there are PCE and Saturn ports of Anearth just as there are of Gulliver Boy.

You could say that both of them would be better enjoyed as swan-songs for the PCE than as otherwise totally ordinary Saturn games.

However, one important difference is that if you don't care about the consoles themselves, the PCE version of Anearth is pretty much undeniably the better one, while for Gulliver Boy, it's the Saturn port.

NightWolve

« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2017, 03:55:27 PM »
I'm going to speak out-of-turn ... but I believe that what SamIAm really needs to see from you is a large chunk of that 60% translation working in-game without running out of either compressed or decompressed space.

SamIAm is an absolute "treasure" to this community, and has been working on translations since at-least 2006 ... but the poor guy has kept on working with incomplete scripts, or translations that would break badly on re-insertion into the game.

Those are "programmer" issues ... not "translator" issues.

Yeah, I think it's all fine and that's what I wanted to eventually do with what I already have. I just decided to wait till Sam finished off Xanadu work before even considering to resume this project and with my own other things to do, I left it in the back burner for "some day." I haven't heard back on his availability as well, so another reason I didn't return to it.

So...did you guys finish the Xanadus since we're on the subject ? I haven't been visiting here for a few months, I'm out of the loop...

I (thankfully) missed those "drama" years ... and in this particular case, it's just a thread where many old-and-seemingly-abandoned projects are being mentioned as possibilities for the current-generation of translators to pick up and finish.

There's been little negativity towards you.

He created a profile post of me to talk his shit. He mentioned I picked up the ED project from David, so it indicates he visits (AKA spies) my site now and then (lucky me). He also barked about XSEED Games cheating me, that it's "confusing," not understanding it, and naturally denying wrongdoing out of spite, the usual troll sour grapes, etc. I'm sure that's all returned now that he restored RHDN.

Basically, I used to hang on his TransCorp forum, we were somewhat friendly, until one day when he got impatient with The Whirlpool not immediately posting news of his project update. He joked that they're "sleeping" over there. Next thing you know, Wraith, who ran it after Spinner8 left, announced he'd be shutting down the site, was tired of impatient pestering like that as a whole, etc. There were about 20 pages giving him a little shit on his forum about pissing Wraith off and causing the shutdown, that's about when I joined in to also josh with him about it in a playful way, I didn't think I was mean, but he completely got insulted, thin-skinned as he is, retorted angrily, so I let him have it, then he deleted my post, and locked the thread calling me a "teenage drama queen" (for 2 posts!!!). I deleted my account in protest to him going Nazi power mod and called it out on my old RIGG forums.

Anyway, I was really surprised he couldn't take a little roasting about the situation... I wasn't that bad, and we were friendly up to that point like I said, but he just lost his temper and I said f#ck that, time to take my membership elsewhere. It wasn't till years later with the extortion threat that came from some Japanese teacher there that led to me demanding the removal of my patches which they complied, only to have a debate months later and reverse the decision where they put all my patches back, and NightCrawler created that profile post of me for his attacks and to turn the tables from the bad behavior of his members, etc.

Yeah, wasn't worth taking the tangent on this shit, but it's why I wouldn't have cared if he couldn't restore RHDN or not. He's an arrogant prick with too much pride that can't just apologize for something insignificant and leave it at that. I used to defend him from D-BOY telling me he's an ahole all the time just randomly in IM, only to have to eventually eat my words. So yeah, he obviously made more enemies given the impostor Romhacking.net Twitter account that fooled even you I see. Those RHDN types also did an impostor account of me years ago, that Byuu guy was part of it. They're stupid like that.

I just wish people could stop being dicks and be kosher with one another, for such a small group of folks (generally speaking vs other consoles fans) we have a wide array of cunts. :(

Of course Nightwolve, this is not directed at you.

Well, I've gotten caught up myself in feuds I'd rather have avoided, and played tit for tat. Reality is, some people you were better off never meeting and are just incompatible with... I never should've had anything to do with Jeff Nussbaum, Tom-chan Lipschultz, and a lot of other people in gamer circles, but I looked for free translation work and combined with the 99% freeloading, abuse, neglect, etc. by translation patch consumers, it's not worth it in principle... I have a negative view of gamer culture in general these days, and many in it, I find it disgusting frankly.

elmer

« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2017, 04:41:54 PM »
So...did you guys finish the Xanadus since we're on the subject ? I haven't been visiting here for a few months, I'm out of the loop...

Both games are basically "done" from a hacking and translation POV.

The only significant thing that remains for both of them is the audio-dub.

That's taken a significant amount of time to prepare for ... but we've been entirely-blocked for over 6 weeks now waiting for our web-volunteer to finish-off the web pages for the dub so that we can open-up the casting-call.

We're within a few days of calling for help on that issue.

But that is why both SamIAm and I have been "seen" to be distracted lately ... i.e. with Huzak, in my case, which was next on my list of "to-do" projects.

SamIAm could probably have finished-off the ED translation in that time ... but since that project has been on-hold too ... he's found other interesting things to translate.

You've just got to get the ED stuff in the "queue" ... and SamIAm will look at it when he has the time.

technozombie

« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2017, 01:33:51 PM »
ED is a cool looking game. I've never tried the SNES version, but I actually have a copy of the PCe one. Maybe one day....