Author Topic: "JUNK" PCE DUO Repair Help Requested  (Read 202 times)

SegaSonic91

"JUNK" PCE DUO Repair Help Requested
« on: January 25, 2015, 01:24:51 PM »
Hi all,
         I bought 3 PCE systems off yahoo last year, for extremely cheap prices considering what they go for these days.  I got a "naked" DUO-RX+6B Pad, a Suitcase and a DUO.  I already had my original suitcase from 1996 and boxed DUO-RX from 2004, but I thought some added systems with which to perform the RGB mod on would be nice.

I expected the DUO would need a recap because, well, it's a DUO!  The RX works perfectly, which I did not expect considering I got it for 3600yen!  The DUO was about 11,000 but also included about 30 games.  Most of which were junk or games I already owned, but the price was worth it just for a mint copy of Galaxy Deka Gaivan WITH OBI!  That is one of those games I NEVER see with the obi, so I was mega stoked.

So, back to the DUO.  It had something rattling around inside which I discovered was a cap.  When I was unscrewing it to take a look inside, the last screw was stripped and so I could not get it open, no matter what tricks I tried.  I DID manage to get it open today though!  I cannot test it, or the suitcase, because I cannot find my old adapter I used with my original suitcase, which is rather annoying.  I didn't quite expect the DUO to work, it is in very rough shape.  The suitcase seems fine and to my surprise, that bloody gear in the CD-ROM2 unit is intact and did not crumble when I moved the gears!  My old system fell victim to that in 2004, but I had no idea of the cause back then.

My question in regards to the DUO is twofold, firstly, there is a black wire up near the headphone and DIN5 socket that is only attached on one end.  I have no idea what it should be attached to and do not see it in any of the Turbo DUO repair videos or photos.

The other question is about the Hu chip.  I see no chip marked as the Hu with the Hudson Bee on it.  Is it the chip down near the CD access LED?  I was guessing it was that one because it has 80 pins.  All I can do is look at it and wonder... "How the F**K am I going to solder to THAT!?"

Keith Courage

Re: "JUNK" PCE DUO Repair Help Requested
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 02:23:36 PM »
That wire doesn't go to anything. It is there to help hold the power wire down and away from the heat sinks.

What hudson bee are you talking about and what chip are you looking for for what reason? What problems or symptoms is the system having.

thesteve

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 02:45:12 PM »
the hu chips are under the board

SegaSonic91

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 01:47:07 AM »
Under the board, that could be why I could not find it  :)

Thanks for the info about the mysterious black wire too, Keith.  I was referring to the Hu6260 chip that always has the Hudson Bee printed on it, it was nowhere to be seen on my board but thesteve mentioned it is actually underneath.  I was trying to locate it because I want to RGB mod the system once I get it re-capped. 

I was even thinking of practising on it as I have the second RX I can use for RGB.  I cannot diagnose problems with the system at the moment because I don't have an AC adaptor for it.  Very annoying that NEC kept changing the bloody thing!  I assume that it at least, will not read discs, it is in pretty rough shape on the outside.  There was even a loose capacitor rolling around inside.  I guess I will find out once I order a new adaptor.