Author Topic: PC-FX homebrew development.  (Read 10165 times)

nodtveidt

Re: PC-FX homebrew development.
« Reply #240 on: August 02, 2016, 02:42:04 PM »
Knowledge of HuC might be useful for the functionality of liberis that trap15 and I wrote that mimics HuC's standard library, but HuC itself is painfully limited compared to your gcc build. A great deal of pure HuC code (no inline assembly) will port over with minimal changes (which I demonstrated with Asteroid Challenge FX), but it seems a better idea to just write from the ground up if you've written HuC code that has to specifically work around HuC's limitations (which Asteroid Challenge did, and with a vengeance).

Krimstah

« Reply #241 on: September 28, 2016, 12:49:58 PM »
Thanks Elmer,

I'm afraid I don't meet the selection criteria for what needs doing at the moment but i will continue to follow this thread for any advancements and have a go at HuC,

As for translating Japanese have you tried contacting Nana from

https://www.patreon.com/nana_vs_nana

He is currently in the process of translating many PC98 games to english , he may be of help to you.

Thanks

elmer

« Reply #242 on: March 18, 2017, 02:37:30 PM »
Well, the VirtualBoy guy (jorgeche) has got his engine/game-demo running with my patched GCC now, and I guess that means that it's pretty much got as thorough a testing as it's going to for a while.

I'll try and clean up the patches for a "release" sometime in the next few weeks/months (there's no rush, right?).

Wow ... has that much time passed???  :shock:

The VirtualBoy developers finally released the new version of their engine/toolchain/ide last week, including my V810-patched GCC compiler and tools ...

http://www.planetvb.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=426

I haven't received any bug reports from them in the last 9 months, so I'm going to assume that I can say that the compiler is pretty solid and has passed all of their testing.  8)

nodtveidt

« Reply #243 on: March 18, 2017, 03:35:34 PM »
I haven't received any bug reports from them in the last 9 months, so I'm going to assume that I can say that the compiler is pretty solid and has passed all of their testing.  8)
This is not a bad thing. :D Does that mean that your toolchain is end-user-ready? Or at least close to it? :D

Punch

« Reply #244 on: March 19, 2017, 05:50:14 AM »
Thanks Elmer,

I'm afraid I don't meet the selection criteria for what needs doing at the moment but i will continue to follow this thread for any advancements and have a go at HuC,

As for translating Japanese have you tried contacting Nana from

https://www.patreon.com/nana_vs_nana

He is currently in the process of translating many PC98 games to english , he may be of help to you.

Thanks

Woah that's pretty cool, and I bet that the Screamer PC98 translation came out from there (can't find a list of games). Finally someone is tackling that problem consistently and I'll probablydo my first patreon donation soon :)

I'm also glad he (she?) is also translating adult games without any kind of prejudice whatsoever. I'm not interested in them (and some are frankly repulsive lol) but they are also cultural tokens of 80/90's Japan so they have their importance too. I'd trade those for early PC88 adventure games anyday but beggars can't be choosers and anything translated at all is already excellent.

Yet another Off-Topic post by Punch! :lol:

elmer

« Reply #245 on: March 19, 2017, 06:41:31 AM »
Does that mean that your toolchain is end-user-ready? Or at least close to it? :D

I guess that it means that I should finally release the patches, and stop worrying about how ugly the build process is for the toolchain.  :roll:

I checked-in the changes to Alex's liberis and pcfxtools into github a few months ago.

But as far as the end-user goes, liberis is still fundamentally broken in a number of places, and we still don't have access to the CD.

So, I'd say that it's ready for folks to start working on fixing liberis ... but I'm going to be busy for a while yet, so I won't have time to help until later on this year.

Does anyone actually want to start working on fixing liberis?  :-k

nodtveidt

« Reply #246 on: March 19, 2017, 11:46:18 AM »
What needs to be fixed on the CD part?

elmer

« Reply #247 on: March 19, 2017, 12:43:27 PM »
What needs to be fixed on the CD part?

I don't know, I haven't looked at it. The bug-report was from you ...

Using eris_low_scsi_status() freezes the system. Every. Single. Time. No matter what's going on... even if nothing's going on.

Sending another SCSI command freezes the system... even if I've also used eris_low_scsi_abort(). eris_low_scsi_abort() itself does not lock up the system, but using eris_low_scsi_command() a second time does.

enthusi

« Reply #248 on: July 27, 2022, 07:48:55 AM »
Hi everyone,
sorry for replying to this old thread but it had _exactly_ the topic I am looking for.
I am curious about the best/current status in terms of homebrew.
A few words on me:
I always code in Assembler for anything older than the GBA. This makes things super-exciting for me - albeit possibly slower in development ;-)
I feel home with the 65(C)02 CPU (lots of C64 stuff, Atari 2600, Lynx).
More recently I coded for Virtual Boy (same CPU as PC-FX) and since I like the RISC approach (I also learned RiscV assembly at the time), I
purchased a PC-FX (yes, the more niche the better).
I realise that I totally skipped the PC-Engine (though I have it, and adore it) as dev-machine. It felt 'too big' at the time for my simple-team approach.
But it seems like the PC-FX would really be fun to code some more v810.
I develop games as a hobby for some years now.

Now about this new world to me ;-)
I found these:
https://github.com/jbrandwood/pcfxtools
and of course the v810 GCC patch/port that I never used for VirtualBoy though.
THERE I use the official ISAS assembler, for example here:
https://github.com/enthusi/VBeat
I am all for linux, while I don't mind running WINE if that does the job.
So I guess to code in assembly for the PC-FX I would have to go for the GCC-suite AS?
I did reverse engineer some of the PC-ENG routines in Beyond Shadowgate to extract all bitmaps and learn some things about the system, but in the end, I never actively used its GPU/AUDIO before.

My guess from reading so far is that I should take a close look at the liberis sources.
But is there anything for the PC-FX like the TechScrolls?
Like this?
http://perfectkiosk.net/stsvb.html

Is this the latest, most complete?
http://daifukkat.su/pcfx/

And if not here, any forums/threads or people to suggest to contact? ;-)

For example at first glance there doesn't seem to be a linear bitmap mode, right?
But what mode are those few 3d example modes using? Real-time algo to place pixels into time maps?

Sorry for all these questions and I am sure quite some of them are based on my total lack of knowledge and may not even make sense to more HUC-experienced folks.
Would be ace to get SOMEthing (nice) running on the PC-FX.

All the best and thank you
Martin aka enthusi / PriorArt

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #249 on: July 29, 2022, 12:20:18 AM »
I don't know if there's any pc-fx dev smart peeps here any more, sadly.  I believe Elmer (perhaps others too) is on Paul's forum, so maybe try there if you don't have any replies here.

Myself, I know nothing about pc-fx dev (or for anything else) but I'd love to see some cool homebrew for the lil box.  :pcgs:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

enthusi

« Reply #250 on: July 29, 2022, 03:39:31 PM »
Thanks!
I did indeed got some hint and reply on the 'proboards'.
Enough to get me started hopefully :)