Author Topic: Ys III, fixable?  (Read 942 times)

Black Tiger

Re: Ys III, fixable?
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2015, 04:38:09 AM »
You know, even though the background scrolling is janky, the rest of the game plays perfectly well. As well as any of the other renditions, anyway.

The gameplay was built around that scrolling.

I mean the animated tile background layer scrolling. I don't mean ordinary level scrolling. I thought the regular side-to-side was a LITTLE less smooth than the SNES or Genny, but not significantly so, and I felt the character otherwise controlled just as well. In fact, I think I preferred the attack hit detection to the SNES version, which is the only other version I played extensively. Between the SNES and CD versions, I preferred the CD version.

That's what I was saying, Ys III was made from the ground up around with those integers in mind. The 100% smooth scrolling games are the one which had to find a compromise to make the gameplay work.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

sunteam_paul

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2015, 05:45:25 AM »
Starting to think how this would translate to a view like the other Ys games, hrmmm

It has been
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

spenoza

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2015, 03:04:51 PM »
That's what I was saying, Ys III was made from the ground up around with those integers in mind. The 100% smooth scrolling games are the one which had to find a compromise to make the gameplay work.

It would strike me as odd if the entire game flow were based around simply making some dynamic tiles work properly. Game design typically goes the other way.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

poponon

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2015, 06:36:46 PM »
TIME TO RECYCLE THIS ONCE AGAIN....

Dragons & Wizards... Oh My!

those screenshots tho

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2015, 07:29:30 PM »
If you want good Ys III chip tunes, listen to the PC-88 version.

fixed that for you.

Anyway, the scrolling is fine.   People have this misconception that smooth scrolling is some sort of required thing.  The parallax in Ys III is fine.  The sprites are running smooth.   Everything is playable.

The game plays good.    The choppy ones play good too.

The MSX2 one is pretty awesome, for example.   I'd say overall, the MSX2 and PCE ones are the better versions to play.    The MD one might be if Adol wasn't retarded looking.

To say the game runs like shit makes me wonder if you even played it, as the scrolling that people complain about isn't even present for large portions of the game.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Dicer

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2015, 09:52:17 AM »
Starting to think how this would translate to a view like the other Ys games, hrmmm

It has been

No no no no....not like that

I mean make it just like Ys I II and IV same style not that isometric nonsense.

NightWolve

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2015, 07:57:39 PM »
I would've preferred they maintained the overhead format as Ys Book I & II and what they returned to in Ys IV, but because I was treated to one of the greatest soundtracks in videogame history, everything else was forgivable, even the bad dubbing.

TR0N

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2015, 07:34:25 PM »
forgivable, even the bad dubbing.

Oh that bad dubbing  :wink: :roll: Are you still here !?

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2015, 08:54:55 AM »
Man, that miner starting at 1:07 is incredibly robotic!  However, I've always thought Mayor Grady was 1 or maybe the only relatively decent actor, he usually sounds fairly natural IMO.

poponon

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2015, 09:46:43 AM »
I love the voice acting; it is consistent with the english voice acting in Ys IV.

Dicer

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2015, 09:53:43 AM »
Arkhan has no penis and he believes the shitty scrolling is fine...

I made that up, the scrolling is fine 10% of the time (some stages are smooth) and Arkhan has 10% of a penis.

Also, if anyone re-makes this game and so much as TOUCHES any of the voice acting, I will say bad things about you.  I love the voice acting; it is consistent with the english voice acting in Ys IV.

I was thinking more Last Alert/Final Zone levels...