Author Topic: Ys III, fixable?  (Read 940 times)

Dicer

Ys III, fixable?
« on: February 13, 2015, 03:24:18 PM »
We all know the Obey version of Ys III runs like dog shit struggling uphill in the cold of winter, and other versions seems to run without this issue, is that something that can be fixed somehow?

I am only asking, because I had a dream it happened...

So, what say you?

Edit: D'oh meant for this in the dev section, oh well
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 03:27:42 PM by Dicer »

ParanoiaDragon

Re: Ys III, fixable?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 04:40:04 PM »
My guess, is that it'd have to be built from scratch.  If someone had the source code for Legend of Xanadu, that'd probably be a great base code for redoing Ys 3.

Black Tiger

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 05:58:18 AM »
The hardware could do a version with 60fps scrolling no problem. There's nothing you can do about the existing version using dynamic tiles from the MSX version for most of the scrolling though.

Just whip up a new version from the ground up and please upgrade the pixelart while you're at it, since it also is not optimal.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 06:18:37 AM »

The hardware could do a version with 60fps scrolling no problem. There's nothing you can do about the existing version using dynamic tiles from the MSX version for most of the scrolling though.

Just whip up a new version from the ground up and please upgrade the pixelart while you're at it, since it also is not optimal.

Yup. In addition to upgrading the graphics, I know most folks would love an alternate soundtrack (remix?)  in addition to the standard one.

Actually, two alternative soundtracks (remixes + Bhangra versions), plus the original PCE soundtrack would be even BETTER.

:)
  |    | 

Dicer

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 06:23:48 AM »
I smell a project...

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
    • FX Unit Yuki Official Website
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 07:42:03 AM »
:yuki: "Go forth, FX-Unit Yuki!" http://www.fxunityuki.com
            Available NOW for the PC Engine and Dreamcast!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 02:08:52 AM »
We all know the Obey version of Ys III runs like dog shit struggling uphill in the cold of winter

I know nothing of the sort.  Sure it could be better, but it's hardly unplayable.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Dicer

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 02:12:12 AM »
We all know the Obey version of Ys III runs like dog shit struggling uphill in the cold of winter

I know nothing of the sort.  Sure it could be better, but it's hardly unplayable.
Comparable to most other versions, it's sadly the inferior running version, not to say it's not playable, just jarring...

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 02:45:59 AM »
I'll take not so great scrolling over the trainwreck tunes of the SNES any day.

Black Tiger

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 04:34:29 AM »

Comparable to most other versions, it's sadly the inferior running version, not to say it's not playable, just jarring...

"Choppy" scrolling: MSX, PC-88, PC-98, PCE (less than those to the left)

"Smooth" parallax: MD, SNES, X68k

No in-game parallax: Famicom

Looks like "most" are choppy.

PCE version still plays better than SNES and some prefer the gameplay to Genesis.

seieienbu

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 09:41:48 PM »

You know, I had halfway written a post in defense of the snes version's soundtrack but then I went and listened to it again on youtube and my memory had been playing some tricks on me.  The way I recalled it (having not heard it for probably 20 years or so when I rented it out  of curiosity) I thought that even though it was a bit midi-ish or whatever the music was good enough to stand on its own. 

Searing Struggle is one of my favorite song from that console generation and listening to the snes version of that was outright painful.  My god.

This really is bad!  Wow.  I, uh, well, I won't ever try to defend this version of the soundtrack again.  After listening to the Ys 3 soundtrack I checked out the snes version of Ys 4 and it sounded much better to say the least.  The soundtrack to Ys 5 was alright as well, probably the best of the 3 games on snes.

Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 12:38:50 AM »

You know, I had halfway written a post in defense of the snes version's soundtrack but then I went and listened to it again on youtube and my memory had been playing some tricks on me.  The way I recalled it (having not heard it for probably 20 years or so when I rented it out  of curiosity) I thought that even though it was a bit midi-ish or whatever the music was good enough to stand on its own. 

Searing Struggle is one of my favorite song from that console generation and listening to the snes version of that was outright painful.  My god.

This really is bad!  Wow.  I, uh, well, I won't ever try to defend this version of the soundtrack again.  After listening to the Ys 3 soundtrack I checked out the snes version of Ys 4 and it sounded much better to say the least.  The soundtrack to Ys 5 was alright as well, probably the best of the 3 games on snes.

I don't remember the soundtrack for SNES Ys III, so now I'm going to have to listen to it, as well, for comparison.

And, while I am at it, I'll re-listen to the Genesis version as well (I remember a few of the songs, at least).

|    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 01:25:35 AM »

Yarr, the other two are pretty good.  It's not that the SNES wasn't capable, it's that whoever did those tunes dropped the ball.  Hard.

Black Tiger

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 02:33:17 AM »
If you want good Ys III chip tunes, listen to the Famicom version.

esteban

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 03:24:56 AM »

If you want good Ys III chip tunes, listen to the Famicom version.

I will have to compare all the Ys III tunes.
  |    |