Author Topic: TurboGrafx CD Repair Needed  (Read 195 times)

8Bits@aTime

TurboGrafx CD Repair Needed
« on: March 09, 2015, 11:35:05 AM »
Ok, so I've been a member of this board for less than an hour and I need some help!  I wanted to try and put this in an existing thread, but after searching around for a while this seemed like the best way to get my questioned answered. 
I'm sort of a novice when it comes to repairing consoles and I need some help repairing my TG CD. I say that having replaced some caps in an xbox, and fixing controller ports/power jack in a genesis. Anyway,  I recently purchased a TurboGrafx CD unit and am waiting for it to arrive.   As it was untested I am anticipating problems beyond CDs not spinning and having to replacing the gear(which I could probably do myself).  I wholly admit after hearing how finicky this unit can be, I'm scared to mess with it myself (worried about tearing off traces/soldering pads etc.).  I'm anticipating problems with the laser and possibly capacitors.  I'm in the Philadelphia area, and I'm looking for someone that does quality work and that's TRUSTED in the community to do a good job.  Can someone help me out...or point me in the right direction?

Keith Courage

Re: TurboGrafx CD Repair Needed
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 03:11:11 PM »
Check the gears first. usually the gearing is bad which ends up needing a replacement middle gear to fix the problem. If the gears are good then you can start looking into the other issues like caps, cracked solder joints etc...

wilykat

Re: TurboGrafx CD Repair Needed
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 01:50:17 AM »
Also cleaning and relube if the gear is not cracked but stuck and hard to turn at first.  It is also suggested you drill out the middle gear to make the hole just slightly bigger so it won't bind onto the shaft or crack later.

A word of caution: the locking washer on the middle gear is f*cking tiny. They are the size of a pin head, it can be hard to remove it without losing it, and be prepared to spend 30 minutes getting it back on without losing it.