Author Topic: pc-fx adventures in retrobrighting  (Read 609 times)

Strontium Dog

pc-fx adventures in retrobrighting
« on: March 26, 2015, 09:51:31 AM »
As some of you know I purchased a very yellow pc-fx from Japan a wee while ago. It arrived a couple of weeks ago and I have to say, it wasn't as bad as I had feared. Back plate and sides were perfect, maybe a very very slight bromide tan but not really noticeable, the front and top plate with the cd tray however was a completely different story, totally sun ravaged and yellower than a bumblebees behind.

So, a trip to the hairdresser was required, 1 small bottle of the finest, cheapest cream peroxide I could find (40 vol 12%, no reactive ingredients so perfect and only £1.70)
I figured I wouldn't get enough sun to complete the process so I created my own "un-tanning booth" a cardboard box internally lined with foil wrap and 2 UV cold cathode tubes.

Taking apart the pcfx shell was the easiest console I've ever done. 4 screws and everything just unclips. I took the front & top plates and using a small paintbrush, pasted the peroxide straight on giving everything a good coat and getting in all the little crooks and crannies. Covered in cling film (to keep the peroxide from drying out and blooming the plastic) and placed in the box for a couple of hours.

It was working, but at a very slow pace. Then a miracle occurred! The sun came out! Rushed outside and placed the pieces on the wall in the garden, making sure all sides got a nice even untan and lo and behold, one beautiful grey pc-fx. It's not quite right and still has a very slight tinge but it's good enough for now.

Before & after

xelement5x

Re: pc-fx adventures in retrobrighting
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 10:27:07 AM »
Nice!  I had never heard the trick with the cling film to prevent dryout, I will have to try that on a Saturn.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 10:29:08 AM »
Nice!  That's quite the improvement, but did the plastic wrap leave lines in the plastic?  The after pic looks kinda like what happens when you plastic cure concrete slabs.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Bernie

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 10:39:59 AM »
WOW.  that is on helluva difference!

Strontium Dog

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 10:47:23 AM »
No the plastic wrap didn't leave any marks. The SFC was overcooked, left it far too long and some of the peroxide dried, bleaching the plastic, the pc-fx doesn't look like that at all.   I'm looking at it now and it looks fine, no marks at all. Maybe just the lighting or poor quality phone camera :).

Strontium Dog

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 10:55:36 AM »

Photo taken 5 mins ago, doesn't seem that bad.  Possibly just an effect of the process still working in the other pic, it keeps going for a while after apparently.

elmer

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 01:20:31 PM »
Wow ... that came out really nice! Congrats on the purchase, and in making her all pretty again.  :D

I've got at least another 3 weeks before mine finally arrives.  Probably should have sprung for the faster shipping!  #-o

Strontium Dog

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 07:57:34 AM »
Thanks Elmer, I was surprised at how well it came out actually and how quick it was. The super famicom took days......but it was in even worse condition and had no sunlight, just the uv tubes. I would say the uv is good if you have no sun and plenty of patience, it also doesn't dry out the peroxide as much but you still have to keep a close eye on it and not leave it for a whole day while at work like i did  :( just aswell I have another 3 in the cupboard!

CPTBadAss

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 07:21:21 AM »
Ooo I like this article. I've been searching for a simple retrobrighting walkthrough because some people make it so complicated. Thanks for the info :D
Maximum Output. Activate the pit.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 05:05:24 AM »
That looks 500x better!!  Now how do you prevent it from transforming into a yellow beast in years to come?

Strontium Dog

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 11:37:50 AM »
That looks 500x better!!  Now how do you prevent it from transforming into a yellow beast in years to come?

Keep it away from excessive heat and sunlight 👍 or a Matt clearcoat (keeps it sealed so the bromide in the plastic isn't affected by said light and heat). Without clearcoating it it will probably need doing again but not for a few years, not much you can do really as its part of the chemical makeup in the plastic.

SuperPlay

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 11:55:53 PM »
Great job :-)