Author Topic: Retro VGS Game Console  (Read 22205 times)

dan Iacovelli

Re: Retro VGS Game Console
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2015, 04:33:59 AM »
what ever dudes all hear is complaining so this my last post on this topic

Black Tiger

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2015, 05:30:50 AM »
This isn't retro. Current consoles and all computers/devices are already flooded with faux "retro" style games made by people who are completely oblivious to what makes retro games appealing and feel authentic. There's no point in making another computer in a box pretending to be something generations weaker. If they were at least making it with a <12MHz cpu and a bitch to develop for, it would enter the realm of retro plausibility.

Seems to be tailor made for collectards who call <32-bit gen games "8-bit".
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Desh

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2015, 06:05:40 AM »
Meh... if actual good games get made for it I would be interested.  Why not have a receiver like on the Wii for old school light gun action on modern displays?

I honestly have no clue why a major manufacturer (especially Nintendo) hasn't made brand spanking new games for their old consoles.  I know it is sort of a niche market (although a growing one) but anything Nintendo shits out these days is gold.  Even if the "actual" market isn't large enough the resellers and scalpers will buy up the rest of the releases anyways.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 06:26:28 AM by Desh »

elmer

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2015, 07:03:07 AM »
I honestly have no clue why a major manufacturer (especially Nintendo) hasn't made brand spanking new games for their old consoles.  I know it is still sort of a niche market but anything Nintendo shits out these days is gold.  Even if the "actual" market isn't large enough the resellers and scalpers will buy up the rest of the releases anyways.

Let's imagine some rough figures ...

A pro-developer is going to cost you around $100,000 per year, more for a really good one. Take a small team of 5, and give them 2 years (to produce a high enough quality game that Nintendo would put their name on - this is a very low estimate for a Nintendo game) ... that's $1,000,000.

Let's add in say, another $500,000 in part-time management, office, HR, and other costs ... and in Miyamoto-san flying in a couple of times to steer the project.

Getting the cart manufacturing back up for a smallish run ... say another $1,000,000.

Throw in some marketing ... it's Nintendo, after all ... say $1,500,000 to round out the figures.

The carts/box/manuals themselves ... let's be really generous and go with the Retro VGS figure of $8 cost.

We've already decided that it's a niche market, so let's go for a small production run of 60,000 carts ... that's another $500,000.

So that's a $4,500,000 spend ... so you'd want to project at least $9,000,000 to have a reasonable ROI.

That gives us $9,000,000/60,000 = $150 per game.

That's Nintendo's wholesale selling price. Add in a 20% distribution markup and a 30% retail markup ... and that's $235 per game to the buyer.

Are there 60,000 people out there willing to pay $235 for a new Nintendo SNES game?

I don't know ... there could be ... would you?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 07:23:49 AM by elmer »

bob

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2015, 10:36:01 AM »
listen to this podcast with mike  why he decied to use jag cases. and other stuff and then decide if you should diss it or not. http://www.allgengamers.com/home/2015/3/3/episode-190-the-retro-vgs.html

all you guys are putting it down before it starts

No disrespect was intended by me at least, but I need to ask:  What's your dog in this fight? 

He has money in the project someplace

dan Iacovelli

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2015, 11:04:05 AM »
He has money in the project someplace

No I do  not, its not connected to my show(VGS) or any thing like that the only money I have invested in it is 8.00 for the clear cart case. thats it. so this is my final word

MotherGunner

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
Dan is annoyed with us...
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

bob

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2015, 11:47:44 AM »

I didnt really think you did, i just wanted to prove this post wrong.

dan Iacovelli

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2015, 12:27:42 PM »

I didnt really think you did, i just wanted to prove this post wrong.
funny dude,  as I said I have nothing involved with besides interest. retro vgs sounds  like good thing
and despite what I said I'm also in wait and see mode like every one else. would be interested what kickstarter project they do.  annoyed by others on this subject maybe,its prob because they are putting it down before launch. remember they put down great inventors before they came out with their inventions like television and now we have gone from crt to led from 9 inch to 60 or 70 inch tvs

MotherGunner

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2015, 01:18:18 PM »
You're equating these guys to great inventors like Tesla and Doc Brown? 
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

dan Iacovelli

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2015, 01:40:18 PM »
all I'm saying don't diss it until you you see it.
or in more simpler terms : don't judge the book by its cover.

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2015, 01:53:02 PM »
this is my first time reading this but i'm looking forward to see ideas for this system.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2015, 02:30:19 PM »
I listened to his whole appearance on the Podcast. He's a guy who is annoyed by the same aspects of modern gaming that drive me crazy too: constant updates, games that are garbage when shipped and only get fixes if enough people buy the game, never ended saving/loading screens, etc. He strikes me as %100 genuine and very optimistic. I agree %100 that the fact that it takes an hour or more to get a WiiU up and running out of the box is total horseshit.

However, going exclusively by what the game machine's own "creator" (if you consider "coming up with a name" actually creating something) says himself in this podcast episode and on his own FB page it's very obvious that this guy has no idea what he's doing. He may very well produce the machine, but only after he learns all the stuff he doesn't know about product design, which is everything. The discussion of it being "HD" or not is just silly. Have you played a SNES game on a WiiU over HDMI? It's motherf*cking flawlessly perfect. That's what you want.

Talking about a price point, guilded carts, things like that, before having any details on hardware whatseover, no games that can be named, nobody genuinely attached at all that can be named, come to think of it...he may have a fully formed idea what what he wants the system to be, but I don't think he knows how to get it. Buying a ton of scrap in the shape of "Jag-Wire" molds isn't a step forward, it's an 2000lb albatross around his neck. If the system does get made, I think the odds of those molds actually being used are maybe 50/50 at best.

Now, a lot of Kickstarter ideas start out this amorphous and still end up being decent products in the end. The creators simply learn how to do it once they're responsible for the $200k someone donated to them. However, his part of the project is currently "resident dreamer" and by no means designer, creator, CEO, or anything like that.

And honestly, what actually -IS- this thing? Is it actually built around old fashioned hardware with stuff like sound chips, CPUs with special 2D game related functions, DMA access for hardware, etc? If so, what will it be? Will it be based on a 68k or some new chip that's less powerful than anything currently availible? Or will it be a "fake retro" like Neo Geo X and all those keychain systems they give away in catcher machines? If it's like that then...you know what's being done all over the place, right? If you really like "retro" games (whatever that means) then are you aware of the Japanese doujin Windows scene, which is absolutely awash with great old fashioned stuff? Have you not seen what Arc is doing with Windows based arcade boards? As someone else here mentioned, if you want to know what would have come after Neo Geo, well, it was Dreamcast, Naomi, Atomiswave, Taito Type X, and a number of other machines as well as Nintendo handhelds, which are still a good place for 2D. All this stuff actually did happen. Have you played Dolphin Blue (Atomiswave) or Astro Boy (GBA) I ask because those are the sorts of things that already exist that you'd probably love.

I wish him the best of luck because if he nails it then I probably want one, but I have zero confidence it will happen.

mickcris

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2015, 02:45:09 PM »
If they didn't want people to speculate about the console, they should not have announced it so early without giving any details.  I don't really see it succeeding, but I could be wrong.

elmer

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2015, 03:39:47 PM »
I listened to his whole appearance on the Podcast. He's a guy who is annoyed by the same aspects of modern gaming that drive me crazy too: constant updates, games that are garbage when shipped and only get fixes if enough people buy the game, never ended saving/loading screens, etc. He strikes me as %100 genuine and very optimistic. I agree %100 that the fact that it takes an hour or more to get a WiiU up and running out of the box is total horseshit.

I totally agree ... he's nailed a real problem with modern digital-download-gaming.

Now, a lot of Kickstarter ideas start out this amorphous and still end up being decent products in the end. The creators simply learn how to do it once they're responsible for the $200k someone donated to them. However, his part of the project is currently "resident dreamer" and by no means designer, creator, CEO, or anything like that.

He's old enough to have been around the industry for a while, business-savvy enough to be running a Retro Gaming magazine, marketing savvy enough to be out there promoting this up, and has enough finance experience to have decided what the cost of the machines and cartridges will be, and what cut he's going to get from the "royalties" on each cartridge.

But yet, he still doesn't have any real specs or hard design goals for the machine ... except to fit into his $2000 set of Jag-Wire molds.

That combination scares the living daylights out of me.

I wish him the best of luck because if he nails it then I probably want one, but I have zero confidence it will happen.

You've aired a lot of my concerns in a much kinder, and more eloquent way, than I did ... thank you.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:31:14 PM by elmer »