Author Topic: Retro VGS Game Console  (Read 22198 times)

Mathius

Retro VGS Game Console
« on: March 28, 2015, 03:00:31 PM »
I'm not sure when this was officially announced but Micheal Katz and Retro Magazine appear to be working on a new cartridge based games console. A detail that bludgeoned me aside the head was the the system's shell is going to be directly based on the Atari Jaguar! I can only hope that they design some sort of dust protector for the cart slot.

A Kickstarter campaign will be announced soon if anyone wants to help out. I'm pretty excited personally. The idea behind it is since the industry is moving away from physical releases this system will cater to those of us who enjoy having a box, cart and manual. Here's a link to more info:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/RETRO-VGS/783316545070951?sk=info&tab=page_info
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

esteban

Re: Retro VGS Game Console
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »
What the heck?

I don't know how I feel about this until I read the details on the publishing rights/licensing...

If this is a new proprietary console with the restrictive licensing/publishing contracts of yesteryear, well, then they can suck my left one.

THAT SAID, I am really interested in whether this idea (a new cartridge-based console) will get traction.

I certainly think the idea is neat! And I actually love that the Jaguar shell is being re-purposed. IT IS SWEET POETIC JUSTICE that the lame Jaguar (sorry folks) is getting second life...something that it deserved, I feel.

I love that this is a Jaguar shell.

I hope it has a better fate than the OOOYAHHH.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 04:53:28 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

Punch

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 05:34:29 PM »
To avoid writing a lot of text I'll only say this: cartridge-based OUYA, good luck, you'll need it!!!

MotherGunner

-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Mathius

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 05:41:32 PM »
I think it's a little early to start throwing out judgements. We'll see what the future holds. :)
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Tatsujin

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 10:19:31 PM »
but why the JAG mold again?? lol LOL L O L
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

dan Iacovelli

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 04:00:38 AM »
why the jag mold?
Simple because it cost more money to make a new mold from scratch.
by mike kenedy buying the molds for jaguar console and carts it saved money.
take in mind the following:
this is a whole new system only the cases will have jaguar look.
I didn't need a console case but I ordered a cart case for my skunk flash cart
btw: they sold 150 clear jaguar cases and 500 cart cases (which exceeds the amount they planned to sell to help with cost)

TurboGrafx

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 04:05:43 AM »
Something to keep an eye on. The worst thing that happens is that it is terrible, which many people are probably think already. Maybe it will surprise us.

elmer

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 05:03:01 AM »
I think it's a little early to start throwing out judgements. We'll see what the future holds. :)

I disagree ... it's exactly the time to take a cold hard look, and think through some of the issues ... before the shills fire people up with stories of how wonderful it will be, and before the marks put down their money on kickstarter.

There's a thread on Assembler Games with some good comments ...

https://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?56145-A-Cart-based-console-hitting-kickstarterer

For my own 2c, look at it from an indie-developer's POV ...

Either the Retro VGS guys sell you the carts and ...
[ul][li]How much is it going to cost an indie to produce each cart[/li][li]How many do you have to order at a time[/li][li]How long is it going to take to get them[/li][li]How big is the market[/li][/ul]
Or the Retro VGS guys flash the carts on-demand and sell them from their online store ...
[ul][li]How much are they going to take from each sale[/li][li]How big is the market[/li][/ul]
When you look at it that way ... you'll get a good idea of why this looks like a cocaine and ego fueled disaster in the making.

There are good reasons why cartridges were abandoned.

BTW ... if these are flash-cartridges (probably the most affordable tech for a cartridge), then do you realize that typcial flash chips are only rated for 10 or 20 year data-retention?

So by the time that your precious Retro VGS cartridges get to the age that the PCE's cartridges are now ... they'll be scrap.

If you really want to plug in a physical object, then someone could just design a "retro" system that boots off a nice-and-cheap SDCARD.

Oh, look, one already exists ... https://code.google.com/p/mist-board/

Medic_wheat

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 05:17:47 AM »
Hate to say it but cartridge games have evolved into the DC and Vita games.

poponon

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 07:28:02 AM »
Only way this could be interesting is if they limit the hardware  to 4th or 5th gen stuff. Especially if they released free + intuitive development tools alongside it.

Otherwise it's just going to be a proprietary pc with proprietary media. see: doomed to failure

Also the controller isn't looking so hot

SignOfZeta

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 08:48:40 AM »
"There will be no system updates, digital downloads or buggy games."

That part I love. I would actually buy an entire system based on this promise, but not this one. Every single other thing about this idea is dumb. He wants to "promote collectability?" Is there seriously not enough of that? Do we not have dozens of threads on this forum alone documenting how completely out of control "collectability" has gotten? Aren't Amibos stupid enough?

And using a Jag case...I'd have to see the specifics but this doesn't make much sense to me. The advantages should be few if any. The PCB should be a fraction of the size of the Jag's, so it'll need to be designed, unnaturally, to stretch to to the mounting points inside the case. You could retool the case or produce an in-between riser peg system or something, but if you're doing this at a level of mass production needed for a machine like this then it seems extremely unlikely that using old Jag molds would be cheaper than just drawing up a new case. This is 2015 after all. Then there is the stigma of having your brand new machine look exactly like one of the shittiest excuses for a console to ever be built, which is considerable. It's not that the Jag shape is bad or anything, in fact it looks great in alternate colors, but a pragmatically thinking person would have to wonder why you, as a console manufacturer, would be cool with reminding people about the Jag with your new machine. It's quite likely that this guy ACTUALLY THINKS THE JAG WAS GOOD, and do you want to buy a machine from a maniac like that?

And then there is the question of software. I'd love to play a 16-bit Yoshi's Island 2, but who's going to make it? Nintendo is busy making other stuff now and the indie programmer scene, by and large, hasn't really shown me it can actually make legit AAA games in the style of 20 years ago. The economies just aren't large enough.

elmer

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 08:56:35 AM »
Only way this could be interesting is if they limit the hardware  to 4th or 5th gen stuff. Especially if they released free + intuitive development tools alongside it.

So, basically a Saturn EverDrive cartridge with 4MB RAM, an SDCARD, and a USB connector?

Nice and cheap, and takes advantage of the plentiful supply of cheap existing machines.

Now that people have figured out how to bypass Sega's protection and boot a CD directly from a cartridge, you wouldn't even need to pay Sega a cent for licensing if you wanted to release stuff on CD instead of SDCARD.

Bet you could make a kickstarter campaign to pay krikzz to do that that would have a better chance of market success than the Retro VGS.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:00:19 AM by elmer »

dan Iacovelli

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 09:36:10 AM »
listen to this podcast with mike  why he decied to use jag cases. and other stuff and then decide if you should diss it or not. http://www.allgengamers.com/home/2015/3/3/episode-190-the-retro-vgs.html

all you guys are putting it down before it starts

MotherGunner

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 10:48:12 AM »
listen to this podcast with mike  why he decied to use jag cases. and other stuff and then decide if you should diss it or not. http://www.allgengamers.com/home/2015/3/3/episode-190-the-retro-vgs.html

all you guys are putting it down before it starts

No disrespect was intended by me at least, but I need to ask:  What's your dog in this fight? 
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)