Author Topic: Translated games?  (Read 1122 times)

elmer

Translated games?
« on: April 03, 2015, 07:02:46 AM »
My PC-FX has finally arrived, so it's time to ask ... are there fan translations available for any of the existing games?

If not ... what do you think is the reason ...
[uldecimal][li]Too few PC-FX fans?[/li][li]Translators too busy with the PCE?[/li][li]Some critical tools missing?[/li][li]No games worth translating?[/li][/ul]

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Translated games?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 08:23:39 AM »
There's a translation for Pia Carrot and a couple others in the works.

As for why there's not more, I'd guess it's because it's a niche system that few people own and because so much of story lines unfold in fmv, and I assume it's a shit ton more work to subtitle or redub them.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

elmer

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 08:35:59 AM »
There's a translation for Pia Carrot and a couple others in the works.

Thanks, I'll hunt for it.

As for why there's not more, I'd guess it's because it's a niche system that few people own and because so much of story lines unfold in fmv, and I assume it's a shit ton more work to subtitle or redub them.

Duh, silly me ... FMV ... yeah, that would makes a lot sense.

In some ways that's actually easier because it could all be done in After Effects without any messing around with the game code itself ... but you'd need to know where every video started/ended, and you'd need to compress it to exactly the same size (or less) ... and you'd need the compression tools.

... Actually, that could be a real PITA to do!  :-k

BTW ... are there any PC-FX video compression/decompression tools out there?

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 09:13:19 AM »
Pia Carrot is translated, but, it's a titty game, so I mean

if you're not interested in being senpai and talking to all the girls, there isn't a point to it.

You can just google the titties and call it a day. 

The big reason it's not translated more heavily is basically that about 12 people worldwide even care about the machine beyond simply YouTubing their collection for street cred.

There's about 4.5 action games on the machine:

Ruruli Ra Rura
Zenki
Zeroigar
Chipchan Kick
Nirgends (this is the half point)

I guess you could count the wrestling/FMV fighting games, and Baseball too.   The baseball game is pretty good. 

I am not sure if there are any video compression tools floating around.   I thought the thing just did straight forward JPEG run length compression, so you could probably just diddle it yourself or find any other compression tool out there really. 

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 09:30:35 AM »
Thanks, I'll hunt for it.

http://projects.mattsmessyroom.com/welcometopiacarrot/

There's links along the side for Team Innocent and Ah! My Goddess projects too.

BTW ... are there any PC-FX video compression/decompression tools out there?

Check with filler and/or samiam.  I recall one or the other (or both) talking about reinserting videos before.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 09:47:19 AM »
shit I keep forgetting about Team Innocent's translation thing.

That's one of the better PCFX games out there.

filler

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 11:53:22 AM »
The big reason it's not translated more heavily is basically that about 12 people worldwide even care about the machine beyond simply YouTubing their collection for street cred.

I loled so hard at this. :D As for Pia Carrot, it's the journey man, not the destination.

BTW: I think SamIAm and EsperKnight are the ones that made it somewhere with the video dumping and reinsertion.

elmer

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 01:06:10 PM »
http://projects.mattsmessyroom.com/welcometopiacarrot/

There's links along the side for Team Innocent and Ah! My Goddess projects too.

Thanks! Looks like EsperKnight and Filler are still out there actively fighting to bring the system's games to non-Japanese-speakers like me.

I can probably live without Pia Carrot, but I'd love to be able to play Team Innocent ... I like sci-fi RPGs.

NightWolve

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 02:27:32 PM »
The PC-FX - Game Sack on first PCFX translation

Game Sack Joe said it best with regards to the first ever fan translation project for the PC-FX in terms of "priorities." :P

I did once consider Miraculum myself but back when I was really active there was no PCFX emulator. There is one now which is essential for fan projects but I can't ever see myself ever regaining interest for the platform, so all yours along with EsperKnight. ;)

Anyway, Arkhan mostly answered your main question properly.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 02:46:29 PM by NightWolve »

SamIAm

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 03:30:45 PM »
Esperknight and I were doing Zeroigar together.

We got the video extracted from the game, hard-subbed, re-encoded and re-inserted, functioning completely in the game. We have all the text ripped from the game. The only trouble is getting it reinserted and displaying nicely. Esperknight, the hacker, has kind of left things off there.

elmer, if you want to finish that off, please let me know!

elmer

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 06:34:33 AM »
Game Sack Joe said it best with regards to the first ever fan translation project for the PC-FX in terms of "priorities." :P

Haha ... yeah, funny that!

Anyway, Arkhan mostly answered your main question properly.

Yep ... just a really minority platform. I'm still curious to see what it can do, though.

Thanks for everyone's help.  :)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 11:14:20 AM »
It can do quite a bit really, but FMV fapping was the rage at the time.  Kind of like how Sega CD was pretty much a platform for dumbass looking FMV games, and about 6 really cool action games.

Something like Flashback/Out of this World on PC-FX would be pretty good. 

Those kinds of game would be good on PCE too.  We basically only got Prince of Persia in terms of "realistic" platformer, or whatever you call those kinds of games where you have to stop and climb, and get running momentum and all of that.

or games like Time Gal/Sewer Shark.

You'd just y'know, need an expert animator for that crap.

elmer

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 01:40:48 PM »
It can do quite a bit really, but FMV fapping was the rage at the time.  Kind of like how Sega CD was pretty much a platform for dumbass looking FMV games, and about 6 really cool action games.

You really don't want to get me to vent on the awful Sega CD!

You'd just y'know, need an expert animator for that crap.

And that's the big problem ... good ones have always been rare, and finding one these days that's willing to work on one of these old less-popular systems ...  :pray:

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 10:44:33 PM »
That's why it sort of sucks, the games that would really be "PC-FX games" are such a pain in the ass to actually make.

I personally would only want to do a PC-FX game if I can find someone willing to draw / animate some actual cartoon nonsense. 

Maybe I will just one day repurpose La Blue Girl clips.

elmer

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 04:58:26 AM »
I personally would only want to do a PC-FX game if I can find someone willing to draw / animate some actual cartoon nonsense. 

Maybe I will just one day repurpose La Blue Girl clips.

Ah, so you'd actually want to do the anime cutscenes??? They're pretty much what I want to avoid in games!  :wink:

It seems to me that game creators realized sometime in the 6th-generation that in-game cutscenes (with real game assets) were more immersive than video cutscenes (looking nothing like the in-game characters).

That could just be because the 6th-generation technology was the first to make in-game cutscenes possible ... but I'm not convinced. I honestly prefer the 4th-gen story-telling techniques to just ripping the player away into a full screen FMV.

If you want to go with the anime, then I guess that re-purposing (i.e. copying) it from a TV show, or just generating something by mechanima from a modern game series would be the most-realistic options.