Author Topic: Nintendo Wii virtual console info?  (Read 962 times)

T2KFreeker

Nintendo Wii virtual console info?
« on: August 05, 2006, 03:02:36 PM »
I have to ask as this is what actually has me very interrested in the new Nintendo, the ability to play Turbo Grafx games. Is there any new information known about this at all? A list of any games other than the Bonk games?
END OF LINE.

Pcenginefx

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 06:26:07 AM »
Nothing new other than what is known right now.......expect lots of info really soon....
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

Odonadon

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 04:42:25 PM »
I hope a relativley decent offering of games makes their way to the VC (25%+ of the TG16 library).

Yeah that's a lot of games, but I'm not really going to care for the VC if say... only 10-20 games make an appearance.

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

takashirose

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 02:30:38 AM »
The one cool thing about owning the hardware is that if it's not on the Wii virtual console then you could buy the real thing.  I doubt games like Gate of Thunder will first be on it, but I have that game.  Therefore I am not worried.  but it would be interesting to play Bonk's Adventure on the Wii.  :)
Let the old mix with the new.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 06:08:55 PM »
Will it play CDs right from the drive? That's the only thing I really care about.

Odonadon

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 06:35:14 PM »
Quote from: "SignOfZeta"
Will it play CDs right from the drive? That's the only thing I really care about.

I would doubt it.  I think the best we'll see is some kind of bin/cue/mp3 concoction - something that will reduce the size of the game dramatically and make it available for download.

OD

SignOfZeta

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 07:32:54 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm almost positive you are correct.

takashirose

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 09:10:32 AM »
It would be cool if Nintendo makes a firmware upgrade that allows Wii owners to play Turbo CD games and Sega CD games.  But to tell you the truth, I have a turbo Duo and would rather play the CD games on it.  The games are rare and I don't want one getting stuck in the slot like in car cd players.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 09:51:36 AM »
Quote from: "takashirose"
It would be cool if Nintendo makes a firmware upgrade that allows Wii owners to play Turbo CD games and Sega CD games.

Why would they do that when they could just build it that way in the first place?

bt

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 03:30:11 AM »
It would be cool if Nintendo makes a firmware upgrade that allows Wii owners to play Turbo CD games and Sega CD games.  But to tell you the truth, I have a turbo Duo and would rather play the CD games on it.  The games are rare and I don't want one getting stuck in the slot like in car cd players.

I think your better bet would be that someone hacks together one of the PCE Emulators to run on the Wii (if you want to run PCE CDs on it).

-bt

takashirose

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 05:19:11 AM »
Wii owners who don't have a Turbo Duo or Turbo Cd system, have to play Lords of Thunder for its music.  They must make it layable illegally or legally on the Wii.  I die so many times in that game because I am high on the music.  A little off topic.

Odonadon

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 06:15:26 AM »
Quote from: "bt"

I think your better bet would be that someone hacks together one of the PCE Emulators to run on the Wii (if you want to run PCE CDs on it).

-bt

That brings up an interesting point - licensing.  If this were to happen with one of the open source emulators like Mednafen or Hugo, Nintendo could get in trouble if they charge money to use it.  I really do wonder what they are using - it MUST be emulation but which emulator?  Did they come up with their own?

OD

nodtveidt

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 06:36:17 AM »
It's highly likely that Hudson Soft had a hand in the VC part as well...after all, they designed the original hardware, and they're supplying the bulk of the games, so it would make sense.

deamentia

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 11:11:08 AM »
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill... myself, most likely!

Neo Rasa

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 04:14:56 AM »
Quote from: "SignOfZeta"
It would be cool if Nintendo makes a firmware upgrade that allows Wii owners to play Turbo CD games and Sega CD games.

Why would they do that when they could just build it that way in the first place?

It would make sense if they did it that way.  In the earliest announcements about NEC/Hudson being involved they stated that CD games would be supported, but NOTHING has been said about it one way or the other since.  Due to the space issue, I would think some sort of build in emulation wherein you could just insert an actual SegaCD/Turbo CD game instead of downloading it would be ideal.

That would be the best root in general, and what Nintendo has historically gone with.  There's no emulation issues because the hardware is THERE, like the Gameboy Player, or the GB/GBC processor in the GBA and the GBA processor in the DS.  Even Sony did it this way, with the PS2's sound card basically doubling as a PS1, the rest of the hardware effectively being "off" when a PS1 game is playing.  It would also be, to me, the ultimate reward for fans of the companies that actually have a bunch of Turbo CD laying around.  You can be the coolest kid on the block again by being the only person who can run "that whys game with the red haired guy" in its full CD audio glory.